Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,157,306 times

Advertisements

Absolutely disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 11:03 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
I just saw that video online news.

And just don't understand....extremely disheartening. Don't know what could have been said in that courtroom that would overrule that video.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Disgusting. Nothing more dangerous than a cop with his gun out.
I don't know how the case was presented so its either the dumbest pro police jury they could scrape up, or the the victims legal team did not make a compeling case. Watching the vid (which the jury must have seen) leads me to believe the jury box was full of law and order dumb as a box of rock types.
Of note: body cam footage was not released until after the verdict. How's that for justice?

https://relevantmagazine.com/slice/h...daniel-shaver/

Old 12-08-2017, 11:07 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,051,715 times
Quote:
I don't know how the case was presented so its either the dumbest pro police jury they could scrape up, or the the victims legal team did not make a compeling case. Watching the vid (which the jury must have seen) leads me to believe the jury box was full of law and order dumb as a box of rock types.
Of note: body cam footage was not released until after the verdict. How's that for justice?

From a different article.

Maybe he was acquitted because the jury saw the complete video and it appeared as if he was reaching for a gun.

Quote:
Jurors who watched the full video showing Daniel Shaver's death agreed Thursday to acquit former Mesa officer Philip Mitchell Brailsford of murder, ending an emotional six-week trial.
Quote:
Please do not shoot me," Shaver said before he was ordered to crawl toward officers. As he inched forward, he reached toward the waistband of his shorts.

That action led Brailsford to fire his rifle, he said, because he believed Shaver was grabbing for a handgun.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:07 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,284,741 times
This one was really bad. The footage shows a wannabe military force gearing up in the beginning. The cop who did the execution asks his fellow cop "how many mags he has on him" and if he can borrow one. They are all dressed in black, with decked out military style assault rifles.

They could have easily walked up to the guy and cuffed him. Hell someone easily could have came up from behind on the stairwell. They had multiple guns pointed at him and he was laying face down on the ground. Instead of apprehending him then, they make him crawl with all these weird instructions. While he is crawling on his knees as ordered the cop literally blows him away with a burst of multiple rounds. Shows literally no emotion or tries to help the guy and just walks right past the life he ended.

The way these cops were dressed, acting and talking is scary. All tatted up and looking for a fight. They yelled at these people like they were subhuman and telling them to shut up. This looks like something out of a futuristic dystopian movie, not a hotel in America.

Police shootings aren't a Black/white issue. These guys don't discriminate and hate all civilians equally. I'm pretty sure if grandma would have walked out of the room the wrong way that they would have gunned her down too.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:12 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,114,355 times
Quote:

This is truly heartbreaking; another senseless death at the hands of a trigger happy police officer. Serve & Protect huh? More like arrive & kill. Sad.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:27 AM

19,709 posts, read 10,054,697 times
Cop should look over his shoulder for the rest of his hopefully short, life.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:59 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
I will probably think better of this later. While I don't support the needless taking of anyone's life some vigilante justice would be understandable here.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,620,154 times
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ticle-comments

Some more about this case in the article above. The comments are also interesting (note graphic content/language).

Old 12-08-2017, 12:03 PM

45,137 posts, read 26,317,877 times
Getting off free and clear just emboldens the perps further.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:08 PM

30,030 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Cop should look over his shoulder for the rest of his hopefully short, life.
If you backup the video to about the 7 minute mark you will hear the cops ordering the female the exit first. They twice ordered the female out alone and could here them talking inside the room. Perhaps they did not hear the cops. They walked out of the room very causally.

I agree the cop was wrong and overly aggressive. I think it added to the confusion of the dead guy. The cops had reason to assume the guy was armed. But you never reach for your pocket or waist if a cop has a gun pointed at you.

All in all very sad. I was wondering why I did not hear about any protests or riots over this. Then I watched the video and bingo, I understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies