U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 12:59 PM

21,278 posts, read 21,793,967 times

Advertisements

More nonsense from Minnesota Law Enforcement...

A St. Paul police K-9 attacked an unsuspecting woman, knocked her out of her shoes and dragged her to the ground causing bites that required hospitalization, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court.

St. Paul police officer Thaddeus P. Schmidt lost control of his K-9, Gabe, who repeatedly ignored more than 10 commands from Schmidt and another officer to release the woman, Desiree Collins, according to the suit filed Wednesday.

“What you have here is a completely innocent person taking out their garbage … and a K-9 simply wasn’t controlled,” said one of Collins’ attorneys, Andrew Noel. “It should never have happened.”

Noel and attorney Bob Bennett on Thursday released graphic police body camera footage of the Sept. 23 incident. The footage shows Gabe walking far ahead of Schmidt on a 20-foot lead. The dog disappears behind a dumpster and attacks Collins outside the sight of three officers at the scene. Collins screams in pain and falls to the ground with the dog latched onto her.

St. Paul police dog attacked innocent woman, suit says - StarTribune.com

all in a day's work for St Paul's K-9 Corps

St. Paul man kicked by cop, bitten by K-9 settles with city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 01:10 PM

24,667 posts, read 9,588,884 times
Sounds like an improperly trained or unfit K9.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:15 PM

78,184 posts, read 33,318,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

This is how they are trained. Dogs should not be a part of any police force. If someone else's dog did this, they would be put down and the owner would be condemned.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:20 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,786,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is how they are trained. Dogs should not be a part of any police force. If someone else's dog did this, they would be put down and the owner would be condemned.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 PM

78,184 posts, read 33,318,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about.
This isn't the first case of this happening. No one has any business training a dog to attack.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:26 PM

11,496 posts, read 4,867,136 times
She is suing, and I hope she gets a fat settlement.

The officer, apparently has had issues in the past including another dog biting incident.

The part that irks me, he got a 2 day suspension for DUI. For Joe Citizen, you would loose your licence. But cops aren't above the law.

Quote:
In Schmidt’s one-day suspension in October in the Collins case, the Axtell wrote to the officer that he had allowed the dog “to go around a blind corner which you had neither visually checked nor announced a canine presence.”

“Your actions and failure to adequately control your canine partner will not be tolerated,” Axtell wrote to Schmidt. “Failure to follow department policy and training standards provided by the canine unit will result in further discipline, up to and including termination.”

Schmidt received two reprimands for preventable squad crashes in 1999, and a reprimand for not waiting with a vehicle that needed to be towed in 2002. He was issued a two-day suspension in 2006 after being in a crash while he was off duty — not in a squad — and pleading guilty to DUI.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:28 PM

5,205 posts, read 3,737,720 times
Quote:

After reading the article it sounds like there is a serious problem with K9 and handler training in that city. Glad the woman is suing and hope that there is a serious evaluation of the departments current training.

K9s (if both dog and handler are properly trained) are an invaluable resource to departments (in terms of suspect apprehension, officer safety and positive PR for the department).

As an aside, my husband at one time was a K9 officer. His K9 saved his life on more than one occasion (and the dog eventually lost his life in the line of duty). K9s are extraordinary and I highly respect them.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:43 PM

2,515 posts, read 820,138 times
Did you see where a cop shot a guy's dog, then told him if he didn't behead it that he'd take the guy to jail? I'd have been going to jail, 'cause no way in hell would I have done that. I'd also be going to jail for attacking the cop that just shot my dog. Disgusting.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:46 PM

24,667 posts, read 9,588,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There should be no police force...but I digress.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:58 PM

29,621 posts, read 16,361,775 times
Quote:
There should be no police force...but I digress.
Roads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or