Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 05:56 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
In my experience, it's mostly the cranky Trump-Bannon-Fox News-Breitbart wing of America that complains about millennials, so I generally ignore them.

Huge generalizations about an entire generation of people are usually wrong.
Trump won with white millennials so it’s funny that people still try to paint them as being overwhelmingly liberal. It’s pretty much the same trend that has always been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 06:00 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
You millenials haven't got 1/3 of the **** from us Boomers that was thrown our way by the so called Greatest Generation. Yeah, your Gampys and Mee Maws were pricks of the highest order.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:04 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I don't think the future is doomed, lol, but haven't you seen any of this attitude from these kids?! There's so much of it out there.
Just keep those damn kids off your lawn.

Then they'll understand.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:04 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
I'm a late baby-boomer and I have two Millennial kids who turned out fine. Both hard working and responsible and both have been on their own since they were 19. I don't dis the Millennials. I think they're doing pretty good with the crappy hand they've been dealt.

All these people whining about them sound like the proverbial crabby old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn and saying how much tougher he had it than they do. Every generation has their own unique challenges.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:28 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I'm a late baby-boomer and I have two Millennial kids who turned out fine. Both hard working and responsible and both have been on their own since they were 19. I don't dis the Millennials. I think they're doing pretty good with the crappy hand they've been dealt.

All these people whining about them sound like the proverbial crabby old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn and saying how much tougher he had it than they do. Every generation has their own unique challenges.
I do have to agree with that. They were facing a horrible job market when a lot of them were graduating. Some of them faced it head on and made the best of it. Some of them are still waiting for perfection.

Still, I can't believe that some of you think comments about the millennials' mindset is nothing more than "grumpy old man" syndrome. There's definitely a different attitude. Some of it probably comes from the way that we raised them with 'everyone gets a trophy' being fairly prevalent. Some of it I think stems from the way everything is shared and 'liked' through social media, so that many of these kids have the erroneous idea that everyone agrees with them and everyone is hanging on their every word.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:34 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: I can't refute them when they call certain people snowflakes, because they are. So I generally run away with my tail between my legs, having no other possible response.
Hee hee!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
If your generation (Gen X and younger Boomers) gave birth to, raised and educated them, why do you speak bad of this generation of young Americans?

Why call your children "snowflakes" and "the generation with a sense of entitlement"?

I was born in 1981 and consider myself more Gen X than any other generation BTW, just curious what some of the responses will be.
That's easy.
They simply lack the courage and Intestinal fortitude to blame themselves or acknowledge their own failings and part in this current society which they in many ways have created. So they point the finger, ironically complaining about that their creation is too weak to take responsibility for themselves and their actions.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
My daughter is one of these kids. It pains me because I thought I was doing a decent job of raising her, but must have screwed up somewhere. The thing is, she's incredibly bright, and when she was working she was responsible. She has a lot of positive qualities. She absolutely does have a strange sense of entitlement, though, and I'm not sure where it came from. Her dad and I separated when she was young and he never paid child support. We were dirt poor, but I made sure she got into good schools and worked hard in her studies. She never seemed to take much for granted, other than the support of her extended family: she could be downright hostile toward all of us at times. Now, here she is 28 years old, and she won't take a job that doesn't "interest" her or pay what she thinks it should. She also refuses to sit down and make a plan for anything. She has a little of her own money from modeling, investments, family gifts, etc., but that will be running out soon. She's living with a boyfriend, so maybe he'll be willing to take care of her once the money is gone. Who knows?

She's not the only kid like this that I know. Even some of the ones who are working and have it pretty much together still have this idea that every word coming out of their mouths is important, and they get offended if those with more experience don't act on their every suggestion. It's weird, and it's definitely something that happened with this specific generation.

I don't think the future is doomed, lol, but haven't you seen any of this attitude from these kids?! There's so much of it out there.
I actually am like that, mainly but I am right about many things I speak up about at work, rather than actually just because it is something that is wrong. It happens from time to time in both workplaces I work in so it isn't just a company thing. I do wandings as part of event security and at the company I work for at the time I was trained I was taught to wand front in a U-shape, I side step while the guest stays in the same spot, wand back in a U-shape. This year they want wand front in a U-shape, guest turns while i stay in the same spot, wand back in a U-shape. However during refresher training, it wasn't clearly stated, just we would use U-shape wanting rather than targeted wanting like the past two years. One event a good supervisor I know from my other job asked me why I did it that way I reply "It was how I was trained and wasn't corrected but if you want me to do it the other way, I'll do it that way." This supervisor, just wanted to know why i did it the way that wanted to be done. The other job isn't as welcoming to why I need to do things that way.

I'm pretty open about how I am an educator as a paraprofessional for special education in a high school. Many teachers I have worked with love what I do and how I help or make suggestions and step in. A recently hired teacher who was a paraprofessional hire this year (she was hired in September of this year and became a teacher in mid-October) I butt heads with and we work in a shared classroom. I work a medically severe and profound room, which she did longer but in another state while I have been in the school for three school years now. I know how the school works and how the students and not just ours (in the class) trends, yet suggestions of mine often go on deaf ears. The new teacher complains how I am slow to get lunches meanwhile she wants me to go right after the lunch period starts and students are still lined up and trying to get their lunches. She is also a stickler for cleanliness especially in the kitchen for the rooms, which I am the main one to use. She complains how it isn't always cleaned daily which is due to time crunches for me due to working the jobs of two to even three other paras. She claims there is "ample time" when if we have all six students and I'm the only para, it is a struggle to do it all due to hitting every single mark whether it is getting breakfasts then picking up kids, getting breakfasts prepared (cutting oranges, blending and pouring food in bowls, soaking blenders), feeding a or sometimes two kids by spoon and verbal direction of another student, clean-up, changing, motoring, morning work, getting lunches, preparing lunches (see breakfast), feeding, taking one student to a bus after lunch, afternoon walk, changing, end of day classwork, preparing to go home, getting them on the bus, and marking Medicaid billing minutes for the day. That is a whole lot of work to do in a 6 & 1/2 hour day with the kids with about 15 minutes before and after for other work...

Old 12-08-2017, 08:25 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
You must work at a job with a millenial to fully understand.

Nothing else can explain it.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:39 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Trump won with white millennials so it’s funny that people still try to paint them as being overwhelmingly liberal. It’s pretty much the same trend that has always been there.
What stats do you have to back up the claim that white millennials voted “overwhelmingly” for Trump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies