U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 06:57 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,455,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol,

Oh please, you will turn anything into a political controversy. Telling a women she looks tired is pretty much saying she looks like hell and if the right is too stupid to recognize that than they deserve whatever said women says to them.

I would hope that a male server in a cafe would have better sense than to remark on a customers looks. if a cafe server told me I looked tired I'd tell him "f-you" when's the last time you looked in a mirror and wouldn't give him a damn dime.

So if the left it too sensitive the right is to stupid to understand social niceties. Food servers do not get to make rude comments
You sound tired... Not "the right" btw..

In all seriousness, if your fragile ego can't take someone HONESTLY saying "you look tired", a statement that could have been in sympathy,concern or just as small talk then I'd say it's NOT the server that has an issue.
It's people who translate very clear ENGLISH words into something insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 PM

1,858 posts, read 816,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The new left really is something else. Just got through reading a social media post from a law school classmate who now lives overseas in Europe. She was highly upset because, while tired with the kids out and about at a cafe, a male cafe worker remarked that she "looked tired." Apparently, this was taken to be "remarking on [her] body" and was highly offensive and sexist She made a follow-on comment that her husband would never receive such a comment if he was out with the kids and looked tired and even acknowledged that the cafe worker's tone was one of concern.

While I hope most sane people will see the lunacy in this woman's reaction, sadly her reaction is symptomatic of how many on the left feel and think today; her post was "liked" by numerous fellow leftists. When it comes to the point where you as a male cannot make a comment as simple and harmless as "you look tired" to someone who does look tired without being accused of sexism and body shaming, we've officially fallen off the deep end.

As I've mentioned before, I have no problem with the leftists and liberals of the old days. This new breed of constantly offended, Social Justice Warriors, however, are beyond redemption.
It make me wonder.... who is the bigger drama queen. The lady complaining and being offended over nothing in Europe. Or the individual who scours social media to find such posts and then turns around and makes a big deal out of it and gets offended him(her)self about it.

Last edited by MustermannBB; 12-08-2017 at 07:10 PM..

Old 12-08-2017, 07:51 PM

943 posts, read 369,006 times
Sure it may be somebody offended over nothing but I HAVE heard this strangely enough from chronic sexual harassers. They are usually married guys who are all over you and you just put up with it as it relatively harmless though annoying. BUT when they happen to hit on you on a day when you are just not in the mood for their BS, they get all whiny and accuse you of being or looking tired. Or grumpy.

See, it's all about them. You don't need to be a psychologist to figure out you are just a prop they want to bounce off of to build up their own ego. When they don't get the desired reaction they will ask if there is something wrong with YOU. Just wondering if we got the whole story here.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:54 PM

You sound/read tired.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:01 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,639,962 times
OK, the woman is a moron. But most sensible people would probably come to the conclusion that she was a moron because she was a moron, not because she was a "leftist." Whatever the hell you think that is. I mean, just because I read stupid "outrage" posts from idiot rightists on the internet, I don't draw the conclusion that every single rightist is an imbecile. I mean, jeez!

Oh... wait a minute... yeah; I guess I do.

OK, never mind.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:03 PM

2,840 posts, read 1,378,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You sound tired... Not "the right" btw..

In all seriousness, if your fragile ego can't take someone HONESTLY saying "you look tired", a statement that could have been in sympathy,concern or just as small talk then I'd say it's NOT the server that has an issue.
It's people who translate very clear ENGLISH words into something insulting.
Then we have a different definition of "small talk". Small talk from a stranger goes like this.

High how are you?
nice weather we're having
Are you enjoying your meal?
You're children are lovely.

I do not know anyone who would consider the following "small talk"

You look tired
You look old
You look fat.

Sorry not a thing wrong with my ego, my English nor my French. commenting in a derogatory fashion to a stranger is flat out RUDE.
If I want "honesty" about my looks I'll ask a friend, relative or lover.

if I want "honesty" from the waitstaff I'll ask him if the fish is fresh.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:05 PM

32,098 posts, read 16,499,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
What does this even have to do with politics.
People who dislike uninvited criticism of their appearance from strangers are all leftist SJWs, don't you know?

Old 12-08-2017, 08:06 PM

11,472 posts, read 4,854,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You are no different than the whiny lady because you are whining too.

You are so offended by her being offended that you created a new thread to whine about it. You are so appalled that you call it "beyond redemption".

Pot meet kettle.
Bingo.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:07 PM

32,098 posts, read 16,499,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You sound fat. Have you considered working out? It's a health issue, you know.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:11 PM

Wait a minute. Are we saying that "You look tired" is to be considered an insult and should always be taken as such in the same way as "You look fat"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or