U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:39 PM

2,723 posts, read 912,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
An EMP strike on NK would have little effect considering a lot of their stuff is in bunkers and old, lacking sophisitcated electronics. The Russians still have old radio sets that use vacuum tubes available for use because they can't be jammed and are not sensitive to EMP effects. I suspect the Norks have even more of that kind of tech.
I mentioned some of this in Post #2 of this thread. Nothing involving EMP is going to be completely predictable, since we don't know exactly what, in N.K. is currently in operation.
(I taught Electronic Warfare back in the 80's BTW, and vacuum tube electronics, while not sensitive to EMP, can be jammed, a lot of my stuff, back then, was vacuum tubes)

Quote:
If the US attacks NK there will be hell to pay and it's not going to be Trump and his ilk that do the paying. You might want to keep that in mind.
Glad to hear that, since I am one of Trump's deplorable ilk

Old 12-09-2017, 06:05 PM

10,861 posts, read 10,534,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Temple View Post
Trump Will Strike North Korea With EMP Weapons
Speaking in a flat-out declarative with reference to the future is quite a risky business. That is, unless you are akin to a Gypsy fortune teller with an accurate crystal ball gracing your parlor. If that is the case, why are you making predictions here? There is a... fortune... to be made for you out there.

Say, have you any insight on the next powerball ticket location?

Old 12-09-2017, 07:44 PM

2,434 posts, read 927,221 times
If the military were planning on such a thing, they certainly wouldn't be telling any of us. This is merely conjecture.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:39 PM

5,661 posts, read 2,283,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I mentioned some of this in Post #2 of this thread. Nothing involving EMP is going to be completely predictable, since we don't know exactly what, in N.K. is currently in operation.
(I taught Electronic Warfare back in the 80's BTW, and vacuum tube electronics, while not sensitive to EMP, can be jammed, a lot of my stuff, back then, was vacuum tubes)

Glad to hear that, since I am one of Trump's deplorable ilk
I don't know where I heard that and now I'm curious. How do you jam a radio with old tech? You just spam a certain frequency with old tech? just dump white noise?

I've repaired TVs, old CRTs but little else in my time. I may have to educate myself about it more if I ever get the time.

BTW. I stand corrected.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't know where I heard that and now I'm curious. How do you jam a radio with old tech? You just spam a certain frequency with old tech? just dump white noise?
Yeah, the easiest and most straightforward (but not the most efficient) way to jam any radio system is to just flood the frequency they are using with noise. It is a lot like two people standing back to back, 3 feet apart can talk to each other, until someone runs up a jet engine nearby.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:16 PM

147 posts, read 79,201 times
EMP, would work great north of the DMZ. Plus a conventional strike of superior air attacks, missiles, artillery, offensive rockets, and tanks! We should be using anti missile and other defensive weapon's to insure defensive strategies to protect the south. Deployment of MOAB's and j-dam bombs by our military to ensure massive destruction of targets and to instill fear. Non nuclear weapons only to ensure a quick and undeniable defeat of North Korea! Before they develope the capability of a preemptive strike on the United States! Which, they appear to be doing.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:24 PM

12,111 posts, read 12,421,435 times
Quote:
Sure we could, but I assume the OP was referring to a nuclear detonation just a couple kilometers above the earth, which would create an EMP for several miles around, but would fade fast with distance.

I am sure the wizards who build these things could devise a formula to determine the effective radius of the EMP at any altitude. If not, they can contact me and I could walk them through the steps necessary to build the formula (It would take me a week to build the formula, myself, and I am not that much of a masochist).
Detonate a nuke at 6000 ft and you have a lot more effect than EMP. That's a good altitude for a neutron bomb, though, where you just kill every living thing down to insects and earthworms in a 5 mile radius while leaving the infrastructure intact.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Detonate a nuke at 6000 ft and you have a lot more effect than EMP. That's a good altitude for a neutron bomb, though, where you just kill every living thing down to insects and earthworms in a 5 mile radius while leaving the infrastructure intact.
Way less than 5 miles. (I had friends on the inside, at Sandia Labs). The amount of Baffleing with BS that surrounds the "Enhanced Radiation Warhead" is spectacular.
This is probably the most balanced article I have seen on it.
https://www.britannica.com/technology/neutron-bomb

Old 12-11-2017, 06:38 PM

1,553 posts, read 621,506 times
Quote:
Way less than 5 miles. (I had friends on the inside, at Sandia Labs). The amount of Baffleing with BS that surrounds the "Enhanced Radiation Warhead" is spectacular.
This is probably the most balanced article I have seen on it.
https://www.britannica.com/technology/neutron-bomb
Thanks for sharing, thsts quite interesting. I had always been under the impression neutron/enhanced radiation warheads had a geographically larger sized zone of radiation

Old 12-13-2017, 03:00 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,040,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Temple View Post

EMP, would work great north of the DMZ. .
I haven't bothered to read thru this thread, but the title was interesting--- please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think an EMP would affect ox carts very much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies