U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 01:37 PM

27,230 posts, read 17,525,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Surprised this isn't here yet.

Jeff Sessions the Trump appointed Attorney General will announce today that he is rescinding a trio of memos from the Obama administration that adopted a policy of non-interference with marijuana-friendly state laws.

Sessions to rescind Obama-era rules on non-interference with states where pot is legal - CNNPolitics

Too much freedom for those States evidently!
There is no such thing as "legal marijuana" at the federal level. All Sessions is doing is his job-enforcing the law. I agree-the law is stupid. But change the law-don't blame the guy doing his job. This isn't the Obama administration where the president just arbitrarily decides what laws to enforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 01:38 PM

8,758 posts, read 4,034,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The Trump administration is doomed to die attempting to take this mountain. I don't personally use MJ and have no desire to do so, but it is big business in those states where it is legal. The president needs to call off his AG before this issue explodes. It's not in his best interests to push ahead.
I doubt this. Evangelicals are ecstatic about this. Much of the 35% of so of the population that still supports Trump approves of this decision. Unfortunately I think there is little we can do about it until we can get a Democratic congress and a Democratic President to legalize it at the federal level.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:39 PM

10,930 posts, read 5,007,323 times
Quote:
The Trump administration is doomed to die attempting to take this mountain. I don't personally use MJ and have no desire to do so, but it is big business in those states where it is legal. The president needs to call off his AG before this issue explodes. It's not in his best interests to push ahead.
I feel simiarily - I don't smoke, or want to smoke, MJ. But I don't care if others do. It's no worse or better than cigarettes or alcohol.

Legalize it and regulate it. It's already basically legal and regulated in many states - just make it official already. This issue has huge support from all sides politically.

Support increases for marijuana legalization | Pew Research Center
Quote:
Today, 57% of U.S. adults say the use of marijuana should be made legal, while 37% say it should be illegal.

This will come back to bite the President in the butt very hard if he doesn't put a stop to this.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:41 PM

903 posts, read 308,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There is no such thing as "legal marijuana" at the federal level. All Sessions is doing is his job-enforcing the law. I agree-the law is stupid. But change the law-don't blame the guy doing his job. This isn't the Obama administration where the president just arbitrarily decides what laws to enforce.
No you are not correct.
The Cole memo, provided legal grounds/ legal cover for Federal prosecutors to refrain from prosecuting federal marijuana laws from States that legislated it's use.

Jeff Sessions is removing that legal ground.

He and the Trump administration could just have easily removed marijuana from the list of federally proscribed substances.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:41 PM

12,291 posts, read 10,248,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
"Republican Senator Cory Gardner of Colorado torches Jeff Sessions over reversal"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06d1621bde005

I have never smoked pot in my life, but if the states voted for it, the feds should leave them alone.
Ha I love it. Sooner or later the rest of the country will wise up to just how backward politicians from the South are (Republican ones of course since they only have one party rule down there).

Old 01-04-2018, 01:52 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,417,439 times
Quote:
I don't know about that. People understand the need for medical marijuana and overwhelmingly support it's use, especially with doctors cutting back on opiates. Recreational use is another matter. And like it or not...it's still against the law and the Trump administration could make life difficult for the big pot producers, especially California, the newly proclaimed sanctuary state.

Don't be surprised to see some horse trading soon, CA needs the revenue from pot production which gives DC some leverage.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:52 PM

3,144 posts, read 876,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Quote:
Today, 57% of U.S. adults say the use of marijuana should be made legal, while 37% say it should be illegal.
Support increases for marijuana legalization | Pew Research Center

This will come back to bite the President in the butt very hard if he doesn't put a stop to this.
Your data is old:

It was 57% in Oct. 2016 (your link)

It was 61% in Apr. 2017 (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/support...all-time-high/)

It was 64% in Oct. 2017 (https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ization-244155)

Obviously, climbing rapidly. This move by Sessions will make it climb even higher as more people decide enough is enough.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:01 PM

2,152 posts, read 634,646 times
Quote:

No one claimed black market weed would disappear over night.

Similar to when prohibition lifted, it didn't make moonshine disappear overnight either.
The black market in weed was NEVER going to disappear. Period. And it didn't. Period. Anybody who thought it would disappear probably believes in Skittles-pooping purple unicorns, frankly.

The black market in weed thrives like never before because it has a sizable price advantage over legal weed, which bears its share of taxes, thus increasing its cost relative to illegal weed, which has no such costs to account for.

The 21st Amendment, also, didn't make moonshiners quit the biz, either. Period. Like the black market weed operators, the moonshiners have a price advantage (hence an opportunity for greater profit) over legal distillers who pay for the required tax stamps. The bootleg distillers never went away, and they aren't going to, either, irrespective of whether or not legal distillers are allowed to operate or not. Which is not to say that some factions that dealt in bootlegging didn't move into other lines of business after the repeal of Prohibition. But there were still thousands of individual moonshiners in Appalachia who were operating both prior to and after the repeal of Prohibition, and the descendants of many of them are still in business today.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:02 PM

39,230 posts, read 40,603,656 times
Quote:
Surprised this isn't here yet.

Jeff Sessions the Trump appointed Attorney General will announce today that he is rescinding a trio of memos from the Obama administration that adopted a policy of non-interference with marijuana-friendly state laws.

Sessions to rescind Obama-era rules on non-interference with states where pot is legal - CNNPolitics

Too much freedom for those States evidently!
Firstly I'm for legalization but ignoring the law is not the way to go about it. We have a legislative process in place to do that and it should be followed. It's not up to Sessions, the previous AG's, Trump or Obama to decide what laws to enforce. Don't like it? Get it changed.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:05 PM

3,144 posts, read 876,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
But there were still thousands of individual moonshiners in Appalachia who were operating both prior to and after the repeal of Prohibition, and the descendants of many of them are still in business today.
Which is irrelevant. When was the last time a problem with moonshiners was in the news?

And what about your neighborhood schools? Is alcohol (or even moonshine) for sale in your kid's school right now? (Hint: No) Is pot for sale in your kid's school right now? (Hint: Yes)

That condition is a direct result of prohibition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or