Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 10:04 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times

Advertisements

The anti-pot brigade sure are a non vocal minority in this thread.. even the Trump voting moderates are getting in on the criticizing.. as they should be!

It should be left up to the states. That way if you want to live in a state with no Pot or Alcohol you can go move to Utah or Oklahoma and let the rest of us working stiffs enjoy our bud after a long week of work.

Frankly I'd be happier in a state that criminalized alcohol and legalized marijuana, but as a social libertarian leaning individual I can't by principle support such a position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Once there is $$$ at stake suddenly GOPers become more tolerant as seen here:
Quote:
Republican U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner on Thursday morning used Twitter to blast Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ reported decision to rescind an Obama-era Justice Department policy that allowed for legalized marijuana to be possible in U.S. states despite pot being federally unlawful.

“This reported action directly contradicts what Attorney General Sessions told me prior to his confirmation,” the Coloradan posted on Twitter. “With no prior notice to Congress, the Justice Department has trampled on the will of the voters in CO and other states. (President Donald Trump) had it right. This must be left up to the states.”
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/0...ijuana-policy/

Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Why not? Same with whores too.
Prostitution should be legal as well.

I think it’s immoral, but the government shouldn’t be involved.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:07 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Your police departments and local schools get the bulk of their funding from the federal government?

Where do you live?
Washington state does not have income taxes but they have sin taxes on things like alcohol, cigarettes and marijuana. Marijuana taxes have brought hundreds of millions of dollars to Washington state and have helped fund schools, police and drug treatment. This Trump move will motivate a lot of voters to kick blue state Republicans out of office and tie Trump's hands ten months from now.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:09 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Once there is $$$ at stake suddenly GOPers become more tolerant as seen here:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/0...ijuana-policy/
Because Cory Gardner is a blue state Republican!!! We need to kick every single blue state Republican out of office. It does not matter if they would personally vote against it. Their very existence allows Trump to do this. Every single Republican in a blue, or even purple, state needs to be kicked to the curb in ten months. Start the ads now.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Washington state does not have income taxes but they have sin taxes on things like alcohol, cigarettes and marijuana. Marijuana taxes have brought hundreds of millions of dollars to Washington state and have helped fund schools, police and drug treatment. This Trump move will motivate a lot of voters to kick blue state Republicans out of office and tie Trump's hands ten months from now.
And how were your police and schools funded before pot taxes?

Were your police and schools not funded before pot?

Old 01-04-2018, 10:12 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Prostitution should be legal as well.

I think it’s immoral, but the government shouldn’t be involved.
I would argue that prostitution, like drug possession, should be decriminalized, however like dealers, I do think street level "pimps" should be given harsh prison sentences because they often prey on impressionable young women down on their luck with little money, turning them into virtual slaves.

Any sort of business set up for the purposes of selling sex should have set wages and operate like any business where women are hired and screened. In fact I'd love to have services like this available for sex. I think people underestimate how not being able to get sex effects a man.. to have easy access to clean women and to be able to screen clients to make sure they are disease free would go a long way in reducing transmission of STDs and also making men happy. In fact I fully support legalizing prostitution as a business.

I've never given it serious thought, but criminalizing it has caused a host of negative consequences to society. Not having to deal with the high maintenance of modern women, how much "game" you have to have to turn them on, all the diseases they've gotten from all the men they are with.. it sure would be nice to have everything nice, regulated, handed to me on a silver platter while I hand over my money. Then I can focus on my career goals, investing, and hobbies, and get regular sex on the dime knowing I won't catch anything, without worrying about all the above mentioned. Sign me up, brother!

Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Because Cory Gardner is a blue state Republican!!! We need to kick every single blue state Republican out of office. It does not matter if they would personally vote against it. Their very existence allows Trump to do this. Every single Republican in a blue, or even purple, state needs to be kicked to the curb in ten months. Start the ads now.
The ad, “Without pot taxes, we can’t figure out how to fund anything! Th sky is falling! Vote Democrat!”

Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Real Conservatism does not condone government forcing morality on people.
Of course it does. Do you not know what 'social conservative' means? They promote and support moral values going all the way back to the days of founding when gays were being put to death. They want to preserve (conserve) traditional values.

Your views are more in line with liberalism.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-04-2018 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I would argue that prostitution, like drug possession, should be decriminalized, however like dealers, I do think "pimps" should be given harsh prison sentences because they often prey on impressionable young women down on their luck with little money, turning them into virtual slaves.
So, the government should force all prostitutes to be one person operations and can’t hire help to schedule them and do billing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies