Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 02:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

If you look at an election map, you'll see a swath of blue counties across the middle of the state (the black belt), those are majority black counties and those are the ones with the highest poverty... they are basically rural versions of Detroit.

If you go to other parts of the state like Baldwin or Madison counties you'll see the exact opposite, mostly subdivisions full of McMansions. You can simply go to another county here and it's like being in a different state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 03:02 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What happened to the cities of the North was the auto executives were forced by the economic gods of Wall Street to favor GREED over community.

This is what forced American factories to move overseas as well. The mantra was Greed and Profit for the Sacred few and poverty for all those left behind.

The failure is that business stopped being part of communities and placed the Worship of the God of Greed above all else.
Tell you what Greg, why don't you take a $10 million loan and start your business in Detroit with your primary mission in business to place community over your greed. See how long you last.

Go ahead, show us all how to do it.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:10 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Tell you what Greg, why don't you take a $10 million loan and start your business in Detroit with your primary mission in business to place community over your greed. See how long you last.

Go ahead, show us all how to do it.
There are many businesses that make the owner good money that still treat the employee's as people. What we have corrupted Wall Street to be is not sustainable long term.

How many times will the people bail them out?

Old 12-10-2017, 03:16 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Ironically...CA has an unemployment rate of 4.9%-41st in the nation (tied with NJ)
New York City 4.8%-38th in the nation

The nationwide average 4.1%

Alabama? 3.6%-16th in the nation

Seems like liberal areas remain a failure-if your goal is to have a way for people to earn a living.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:21 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WOW, what a failure of a response.

You see, I like to read what people are responding too....not just that particular post.

So, going back, 1Angry (post 10) quoted post 5, yes?

Post 10 was talking about trump, yes?

You quoted post 10, yes? Your failure is noted...

Hahahaha, you know you've lost when you start going after grammar....you've lost...you're welcome....

Please show us the reasoning behind 2 (two) question marks? And where it falls in place with anything you've stated...I'll wait.
Okay, I'm going to break this down. I'll speak very, very slowly.

I did not at any point blame Trump for poverty in America. Poverty in America is a problem likely as old as America herself. I didn't bring up Trump at all, in fact. Because I'm able to see that the very real struggles of the poor in the United States, which includes tens of millions of WORKING poor, transcends partisan politics in America. Because I'm not an ideologue.

Unfortunately, like with almost every issue in this country, little to nothing EVER gets resolved. Because everyone is too busy fighting with each other. Name calling. Yelling. Screaming. Throwing rocks. Killing each other. They're too distracted caught up in their anger and their need to "win" at all costs, that they fail to see this is exactly the conditions the ruling 1% want. Keep 'em stupid, and keep 'em fighting.

Once again, you have proven my point. Thank you.

I'll say this: lack of education is another big problem.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:26 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The UN is irrelevant.

They only exist by our funding.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:32 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What happened to the cities of the North was the auto executives were forced by the economic gods of Wall Street to favor GREED over community.

This is what forced American factories to move overseas as well. The mantra was Greed and Profit for the Sacred few and poverty for all those left behind.

The failure is that business stopped being part of communities and placed the Worship of the God of Greed above all else.
Cute story-but lacking in facts. If you worked around the auto industry, you'd know that the American companies were quite rooted in their communities-to the point that they were slow to react to changing conditions. And you might even remember that American consumers discovered these things called Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans, let alone Kias and Hyundais. The American auto execs were so rooted to their communities that they very nearly went under before they started reacting and becoming more competitive-all that over the screams and howls of the UAW. Local communities were unwilling to become responsive as well-increasing taxes on every manufacturing company-using businesses as the cash cow to fund their governments.

You will notice that foreign auto companies have moved facilities to this country-but none (or very, very few) have set up in a high-tax liberal state. Mercedes as a matter of fact opened their plant in Alabama. Since then, Honda, Hyundai and Toyota have built plants there. Virtually every company that actually makes something has realized that liberal states are a disaster for them. Just how many manufacturing businesses are moving to CA? I know several in my town that moved FROM CA. Seems like unless you write software or make overpriced coffee, CA isn't the place for a working person.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:37 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Okay, I'm going to break this down. I'll speak very, very slowly.

I did not at any point blame Trump for poverty in America. Poverty in America is a problem likely as old as America herself. I didn't bring up Trump at all, in fact. Because I'm able to see that the very real struggles of the poor in the United States, which includes tens of millions of WORKING poor, transcends partisan politics in America. Because I'm not an ideologue.

Unfortunately, like with almost every issue in this country, little to nothing EVER gets resolved. Because everyone is too busy fighting with each other. Name calling. Yelling. Screaming. Throwing rocks. Killing each other. They're too distracted caught up in their anger and their need to "win" at all costs, that they fail to see this is exactly the conditions the ruling 1% want. Keep 'em stupid, and keep 'em fighting.

Once again, you have proven my point. Thank you.

I'll say this: lack of education is another big problem.

Why did you not answer any of my questions? Why, because if you did, you would see that you are wrong.

I never stated you blamed trump, did I? But the person you quoted did...which in turn, you spoke of trump....follow the bouncing ball...I know it's had for those on the left.

The only thing I've proven, is you have the inability to even follow our own conversation.

Yes, lack of education...agreed.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:39 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh look, another poster who thinks the last 100 years of poverty are all Trump's fault.
No, Newt and the GOP Congress under Clinton did a pretty good job of gutting help for poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Only through the mid-20th century; for the last 40 years, it's been a red state, and during that time has turned into a pool of poverty.
Is your math that bad or are you thinking we will just accept that lie?
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies