Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times

Advertisements

Another reader brought up the point of multiculturalism on another post and I thought this would be a good time to gauge the feelings of people on this topic. Personally, I feel this buzzword that academics and politicians like to throw around has actually done more harm than good. In Britian for instance, Tony Blair, a former multicultural champion, made a speech essentially declaring multiculturalism over in that country. He said, essentially, that immigrants have a duty to assimilate into their society or they can leave. How do you guys feel on the topic?

Link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ublair108.xml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 11:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Bout time someone put there foot down. Wish our gov would do that.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:21 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,230 times
good for tony blair! my grandfathers agreed that we were americans only. mind you that one is native american (indian). when i asked one about his old country, he was angry and stated it was a dictatorship and not to worry about it. both were hardline as my father that im an american period. anything more will cause divisions amongst us. I believe FDR stated something to the same. liberals trying to make themselves feel important may talk about it butits caused more problems than its worth. look at the killings just because you believe in a different sect of the same religion. makes no sense.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:30 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
I am tired of both "Forced Diversity" (Diversity for Diversities sake) and "Forced Multiculturalism".

Old 12-09-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
I am tired of both "Forced Diversity" (Diversity for Diversities sake) and "Forced Multiculturalism".
Yes, I think the western world in general is getting tired from all this nonsense. I wonder how long it would take before any one of our presidents would make a speech like that...?

Old 12-10-2006, 12:31 AM

Here's my quote to a poster regarding the issue:

..."How has this 30 year, obsessive, multi-cultural sensitivity agenda, being preached by politicians and academia, actually served our people in America? Hasn't it put more of a focus on our individual differences, rather than our sameness??? While working on my doctorate, I can tell you, I've had so many multicultural sensitivity lectures that I could throw up. They act as if we've never heard this same rant over and over again. My sister, as a new teacher, is told she has to treat specific ethnic groups of children differently in the classroom because of their unique "cultures". There is a fine line between being sensitive to culture and being ridiculous. We need to recognize that America has its own culture. Rather than trying to embrace many as separate, we should be proud of our culture and make sure that others assimilate into our society and be proud to be our fellow citizens and a part of our unique culture in America."

"If you want to share in another culture, you can go to that country and enjoy it. Drink their wine, speak their language, explore. I've done it many times. It's not closed minded to feel that way IMO. Millions of Americans are starting to wake up from this PC garbage that they have been force-feeding us for years...Okay I'll get off the soapbox now."

Old 12-10-2006, 12:43 AM

421 posts, read 347,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Another reader brought up the point of multiculturalism on another post and I thought this would be a good time to gauge the feelings of people on this topic. Personally, I feel this buzzword that academics and politicians like to throw around has actually done more harm than good. In Britian for instance, Tony Blair, a former multicultural champion, made a speech essentially declaring multiculturalism over in that country. He said, essentially, that immigrants have a duty to assimilate into their society or they can leave. How do you guys feel on the topic?

Link:

It's about time!!!! This muticulturalism thing was forced upon us by these liberal group this has to stop! They love diversity as long as you do or say what they want.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:02 AM

328 posts, read 239,837 times
Quote:

..."How has this 30 year, obsessive, multi-cultural sensitivity agenda, being preached by politicians and academia, actually served our people in America? Hasn't it put more of a focus on our individual differences, rather than our sameness??? While working on my doctorate, I can tell you, I've had so many multicultural sensitivity lectures that I could throw up. They act as if we've never heard this same rant over and over again. My sister, as a new teacher, is told she has to treat specific ethnic groups of children differently in the classroom because of their unique "cultures". There is a fine line between being sensitive to culture and being ridiculous. We need to recognize that America has its own culture. Rather than trying to embrace many as separate, we should be proud of our culture and make sure that others assimilate into our society and be proud to be our fellow citizens and a part of our unique culture in America."

"If you want to share in another culture, you can go to that country and enjoy it. Drink their wine, speak their language, explore. I've done it many times. It's not closed minded to feel that way IMO. Millions of Americans are starting to wake up from this PC garbage that they have been force-feeding us for years...Okay I'll get off the soapbox now."
We are living in America...people should learn to speak English and abide by our rules. I am mostly Norwegian and I cherish that heritage, however, I'm not living in Norway. Why should it be just as important to for me to learn about various different cultures as it is for me to learn about my American history? There is a time and place for everything...if a person is of a different ethnicity, it should be up to his/her parents or relatives to educate accordingly. We need more basics in our schools...reading, writing, arithmetic. If we were to focus on those subjects, our children might have a chance. America is a country with boundless opportunities...shouldn't that be enough for foreigners who decide to immigrate to this land? In my opinion, we shouldn't allow people who come to this country to try to change what has worked in America for centuries. Yes, leave if you cannot deal with our laws. Unity is what helps a country succeed and presently, we are divided.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:29 AM

112 posts, read 69,337 times
Quote:

Link:

Things we in America should respect an recognize:

1: English as Americas only language.
2: Holiday's that has been part of American culture forever.
3: Respect for our judicial system.
4: Recognizing and respecting Christianity as part of our founders culture. I know I am going to get slack for this one!!!

With that said, I like going into a real Italian restaurant and hearing the workers talk Italian among each other. Or the many other nationalities as well. I do go into those places though with the understanding that they will talk to me in English clearly. I hate seeing banks or other establishments catering to those that do not talk English in a different language. I am against multiculturalism as long as you do not mess with my restaurants.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:10 AM

12 posts, read 87,650 times
Quote:

The real problem is uneducated people. Doctors throughout North America and Europe work in multicultural environments every day and experience few, if any, problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies