U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2017, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,245 posts, read 11,493,700 times
Reputation: 4305

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You didn't even understand what he wrote. He pointed out, correctly, that marriage is not a "right" for anyone. A "right" to marriage would mean that someone could be forced to marry you. There is no such "right". That's his point.
By that logic, you would be "forced" to speak freely.

A right mean you have the opinion to practice it if you so wish to. To use the previous example. You have a right to free speech, but no one is forced to listen to you. You have a right to marry, but no one is forced to marry you. It is all a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2017, 02:08 AM
 
10,829 posts, read 4,146,423 times
Reputation: 4699
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then would you like to own slaves? If so, would you pick a Southern state to live in that allowed whites to be slaves or banned whites from being slaves?
I don't know. I'll have to think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 02:08 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,245 posts, read 11,493,700 times
Reputation: 4305
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You will not find that in the ruling. The right is in being treated equally. The government could get out of the marriage business and it would all be moot.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...4-556_3204.pdf

Quote:
This analysis compels the conclusion that same-sex
couples may exercise the right to marry.
The four principles
and traditions to be discussed demonstrate that the
reasons marriage is fundamental under the Constitution
apply with equal force to same-sex couples

SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES

OBERGEFELL ET AL. v. HODGES, DIRECTOR, OHIO
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, ET AL.

liberty, equality, due process all include marriage with in them. Having a right to marry has nothing to do with the government being involved by the way.

If the government stopped handing out marriage license tomorrow, marriage would still be a right guaranteed in the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 02:22 AM
 
78,252 posts, read 33,343,867 times
Reputation: 15661
If the government wasn't involved it would all be moot. You could get your neighbor to marry you.

You could simply say vows to whatever entity you chose and you are married.

The equal protection argument means that if there is going to be an acknowledgement with certain benefits then the government can not discriminate.

If there are no benefits, there is no ruling as no one is harmed.

Nothing stops the government from getting out of the marriage business completely.

You don't have a right to marry. If you do get married, you have the right to be treated equally by the government.

Gay couples got married before this ruling. This ruling did not grant that to them. It gave them equal access to the benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 02:42 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,245 posts, read 11,493,700 times
Reputation: 4305
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If the government wasn't involved it would all be moot. You could get your neighbor to marry you.......
You are getting off topic as you are trying to change your argument to a philosophical one, when early, you clearly tried to argue that the court simply didnt say something, and I simply googled the Opinion of the Court, and quoted that they indeed said it.

There is no need for a philosophical argument as we agree, heck I dont think there is a single person alive who disagree with the ,"if government wasnt here, i could do what I want" argument
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,245 posts, read 11,493,700 times
Reputation: 4305
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post



You don't have a right to marry. If you do get married, you have the right to be treated equally by the government.
.

You absolutely have a right to marry. You like others seem to define right by force, rather than a right being an option that can be exercised when one wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 03:24 AM
 
78,252 posts, read 33,343,867 times
Reputation: 15661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are getting off topic as you are trying to change your argument to a philosophical one, when early, you clearly tried to argue that the court simply didnt say something, and I simply googled the Opinion of the Court, and quoted that they indeed said it.

There is no need for a philosophical argument as we agree, heck I dont think there is a single person alive who disagree with the ,"if government wasnt here, i could do what I want" argument
You have to take the entire argument in context. You have a "right" to have pancakes for breakfast. What was lacking was a right to have your marriage acknowledged with the same benefits as others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 03:45 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,245 posts, read 11,493,700 times
Reputation: 4305
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You have to take the entire argument in context. You have a "right" to have pancakes for breakfast. What was lacking was a right to have your marriage acknowledged with the same benefits as others.
Base on what I read, the context is government and what specifically the court said in their opinion. The philosophical argument of a "right" seems to be one only contained to your individual posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 04:02 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,339 posts, read 4,168,286 times
Reputation: 9600
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Well well well. Why am I not surprised? But, undoubtedly this will make him even more popular in Alabama.

Roy Moore once called for eliminating 17 amendments - including the ones that allow women and black people to vote - Business Insider
Bill Clinton once raped women and is still a free man.
What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 04:13 AM
 
78,252 posts, read 33,343,867 times
Reputation: 15661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Base on what I read, the context is government and what specifically the court said in their opinion. The philosophical argument of a "right" seems to be one only contained to your individual posts.
Words and their meanings matter. You have a right to have pancakes in the morning. You do not have a right to have pancakes.

In court rulings the difference matters. Same sex couples have had a right since the beginning of time to marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top