Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
???? Many women take hormones, for birth control, menstrual disorders, post-hysterectomy, and menopause.

Are you saying that the military discharges female soldiers if they need to take hormones?
Many did argue against women in the military. Truth be told I am no fan of it BUT that makes no difference.

The courts decided otherwise and it's working fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 06:34 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
???? Many women take hormones, for birth control, menstrual disorders, post-hysterectomy, and menopause.

Are you saying that the military discharges female soldiers if they need to take hormones?
Yes. If they need to take hormone treatment on regular basis, then they don't belong.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:38 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes. If they need to take hormone treatment on regular basis, then they don't belong.
I get that's your opinion.

The question I am asking is this - does the military discharge women who need hormone treatments? (Or men. There are men who take hormones following prostate surgery, infertility, and probably for other reasons.)

I don't know the answer. That's why I'm asking.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There isn't. There is a right to be treated equally by the government though.
Not in the military. There are some jobs that will never be meant for a woman, or a dwarf, or an overly obese person no matter how much people scream and cry about equal rights.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
I know this for sure.

Discharge or retirement usually depends on the conditions’ severity, amenability to treatment and, in particular, interference with performance of duties. These factors are often stated in the medical standards.

The truth is,

Do YOU think a person taking the meds on regular basis should be handed a fully loaded semi automatic weapon and left to watch over others as they sleep? If you answered yes, then you really do not need to join.

The military is not where you get the best medical help. It is also not known for having a bunch of frasier's running around curing people. If you really want to be in the military then help yourself by telling your prescribing doctor you want off the meds and you will start letting that crutch go. Then take the time to do it. Once you live 3 or 4 years off the meds and have become a productive citizen then go talk to a recruiter and tell them the truth.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
The Constitution precludes the president from discriminating against the citizens of the country. These same arguments were used to stop openly gay citizens from joining and didn't hold up then and won't now.
It’s not discriminatory. Lots of people with medical conditions cannot serve.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
Quote:
The same arguments to keep blacks separate and gays out of the military were used to discriminate against them and they were struck down.

Now if you want to argue a flat footed over weight asthmatic trans won't get in, fine.
I really think you like to argue with yourself and not see outside the bubble that you are looking at.
Don't bring race into this because I sure as heck didn't.

Quote:
well,

The military does not allow people with certain medical conditions to join the ranks for many reasons, but it mainly stems from caring for the safety of all service members. Often in military service, those with special needs are unable to get the care or treatment they need while in the field, which can be dangerous not only for the ailing service member but the entire troop.

Many deployments with no access to medical facilities occur, especially within the Navy but also on certain bases in the Army, Marine Corps, and Air Force.

Without proper access to their treatments, those with mental or physical disabilities may be rendered incapable of doing their jobs while deployed, making them all but a burden on the armed services.
This is very true. There are times when in country they need more care than what they can get and have to go to Germany. When that happens, there are situations that come into play to make sure they can get them there safely.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
I know this for sure.

Discharge or retirement usually depends on the conditions’ severity, amenability to treatment and, in particular, interference with performance of duties. These factors are often stated in the medical standards.

The truth is,

Do YOU think a person taking the meds on regular basis should be handed a fully loaded semi automatic weapon and left to watch over others as they sleep? If you answered yes, then you really do not need to join.

The military is not where you get the best medical help. It is also not known for having a bunch of frasier's running around curing people. If you really want to be in the military then help yourself by telling your prescribing doctor you want off the meds and you will start letting that crutch go. Then take the time to do it. Once you live 3 or 4 years off the meds and have become a productive citizen then go talk to a recruiter and tell them the truth.
OK, I get that. But that applies to individual cases, it's not a general rule, as in "A person who is prescribed hormones is automatically discharged."

You're going to have to show that hormone treatments actually do interfere with the performance of duties. And frankly, I don't see how you can, as a general one-size-fits-all statement. There are plenty of military folks who don't do guard duty or carry weapons. They pass basic training and never again carry a weapon, because their regular duty assignment doesn't require it.

I was never in the military myself, but I was a military spouse and getting birth control pills was not a hassle - they were prescribed for me by a military physician and carried on base in a foreign country. Even then there were some women in the military, and I'm assuming that those birth control pills were not being stocked for just my benefit.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
Quote:

My gosh this is so very true. They screwed a friends back up and he was medically retired at 16 years in because they screwed him up so bad. Another friend needs a disc replacement in his neck and NO ONE will touch him on base. Their solution...drugs and steroid shots. I don't want them doing surgery on me unless it is a last resort.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I really think you like to argue with yourself and not see outside the bubble that you are looking at.
Don't bring race into this because I sure as heck didn't.
And yet, the court sided with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies