Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 05:51 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times

Advertisements

Both sides are wrong on this one, and we'll take a look at that here:

The "old timers" are wrong if they think that "punching the bully out" will resolve all the problems. First, they seem to forget that bullies intentionally pick on what they consider easy prey. I was one of those targets, but they screwed up when I "punched a few of them out." So, what they did do? Just come back with an ever-increasing number of thugs to pick fights with me. Unless you're some Hollywood-style martial artists, the bullies will eventually win by sheer force of numbers. In my case, I gave better than I got in nearly all fights, but many were not so fortunate.

Also, even if you ARE capable of "punching out" an endless string of thugs, that doesn't mean it's a fun experience. Hyper-macho types seem to think that beating somebody in a fight is "fun" or "good for you." It's not. Being constantly on edge, never knowing when you're going to have to suddenly get into a brawl is bad for your mental health; it's no more "fun" to punch somebody out in school than it is to shoot somebody.

So, this mindset is flawed since it falsely assumes: the target can beat the thugs in a fight, the thugs won't simply overwhelm the target with sheer numbers, and that constantly being in brawls - win or lose - is a perfectly normal and healthy situation.

The "touchy-feely" types who don't want to assign blame are also wrong. Zero-tolerance is zero common sense, since the only incarnation I've ever seen it in involves blaming BOTH the victim and the attacker equally, which is insane and a violation of common sense and the basic right to self-defense. Zero-tolerance idiocy, which was just starting to become popular when I was near the end of high school, is destructive and dishonest on every level. It rewards the bully since all he has to do is attack somebody and they'll also be punished, and is a prime driver of victims towards acts of shooting up a school to kill their tormentor. Zero tolerance is a an abomination and should be done away with immediately.

Summary: These situations should be treated similarly to how any such aggression is treated in a civilized society. No, I'm not talking about putting kids in prison for being bullies - though I also don't buy the notion that a 16 year old is "too young to know what he's doing" - but let's use some common sense:
  • It is stupid and cruel to simply ignore the problem of bullying and hope the victims can "fend for themselves." Could you imagine if we ran adult society that way? No police - just vigilantes and thugs? It would never work. People would live in constant fear with violence around every corner.
  • It is unjust and cruel to punish the thug and the victim equally. Again, imagine if adult society worked that way, where if they caught a mugger, both the victim and the crook would get the same punishment?! It would be an insane police state full of constant fear.
It should not be as hard as it seems to be to avoid either of the above extremes, and it should be common sense to realize just how horrible both of them are as ways to live. Just because we used to do things that supported one extreme and now have flipped to the other doesn't actually make EITHER of them right.

Last edited by Rambler123; 12-11-2017 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 06:11 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
If reported it was dealt with. Not generally in the media but it would be dealt with.

I recall our entire class getting lectured on the bullying of one particular student. This was around 45 years ago.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
We dealt with it ourselves or we'd get our asses kicked at home.

But times are different now. If a kid punches you and you punch him back both get suspended. Administrators ignore bullying in a good majority of schools because nearly always the parents are bullies and it's easier to control the target than the bully. If the cops are brought into it, there's that mess. Not to mention that people are litigious.

And bullying is much worse these days with social media adding an extra element, and kids (and parents) angrier and meaner than I ever thought imaginable.

Some bullies taunt the parents after their child has killed him/herself. How sick is that?

Old 12-11-2017, 06:47 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
This might come as a shock to some of you, but it isn't the 1960s anymore....

Stuff like this has happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKU6lusdPWk

'Fighting back'.....and guess what happens to the tax payers once a kid gets irreversible brain damage or death from a single punch on school grounds? The district gets sued out the wazoo and taxpayers are on the hook for the bill.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:52 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
This might come as a shock to some of you, but it isn't the 1960s anymore....

Stuff like this has happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKU6lusdPWk
And has happened for decades.

I student taught in the mid-1970s at a very rural PA high school. One of my 9th graders stuck a hunting knife in the 10 ring of one of my 10th graders. He was dead when he hit the floor. It was over a girl.

History of School Shootings in the United States | K12 Academics

Old 12-11-2017, 06:56 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,887 times
In my experience, I graduated high school in 1965, nothing was done regarding a bully. I either had to fight back or run for my life and mostly I did the latter.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:04 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
In my experience, I graduated high school in 1965, nothing was done regarding a bully. I either had to fight back or run for my life and mostly I did the latter.
And we can do better as a nation than that type of crap. Obviously, "zero tolerance" is "zero common sense," but I find it amazing how people seem to think an environment of "might makes right" and perpetual violence is acceptable. I have a bad feeling many of these "punch the bad guys and they'll leave you alone" types either draw their world views from one too many macho movies, or are confusing a few events in their own life with what must happen everywhere.

As other have said, expecting people to just "punch out" the bullies is absurd, especially given the level of thugs these days who have no problem using weapons and sheer numbers (sometimes also with weapons) to beat the hell out of people they don't like. Actions should have consequences, and it should be painfully obvious that a school should be run like any other civilized part of society. We don't allow thugs to commit violent acts with no consequences in reality, nor do we punish the criminal and the victim the same in reality, either.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Were there campaigns to end bullying? Were kids told to just deal with it and "man up?" I'm asking in light the whole Keaton controversy, but that's another topic.
In grade school, back in the 60's, I remember being graded for good citizenship. It was actually on our report cards. Bullies were sent to the office, parents called and all that.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:43 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yup.

It was pretty much the only option other than to tolerate being bullied.

But we all survived and nobody shot up the school.

Imagine that........
Bullying is quite different today than the 60's, 70's, much more vicious today. The physical part ends but when they go home it continues on social media. Students go to extreme levels to destroy lives today, its a new breed.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:50 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Parents need to do a better job with their childen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies