Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 08:37 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times

Advertisements

My father told me if I ran from a bully I would run my whole life. He told to stand up to them. The school didn't do anything because, I think, bullying wasn't done on school grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 08:41 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
In our time a fight at school stayed between two people and ended when one was down and could no longer fight back. Today’s students fight as a gang or tribe. They also bully in a gang. The one bullied can’t just fight one, her have to fight the whole gang at once. The problem is the school either can’t or won’t enforce discipline on the obvious trouble makers. It use to be easier to suspend or expel trouble students. This was effective in breaking up the gangs. It was also easier to do even if the student was the star football or basketball player. In some schools today the worst trouble makers are also football and or basketball players and those schools are far less likely to kick the player off the team through suspension or expulsion. That’s why so many criminal thugs make it to the NFL & NBA. Seems some schools have no fear punishing the victim of bullies but are too scared to eliminate the bullies.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
And we can do better as a nation than that type of crap. Obviously, "zero tolerance" is "zero common sense," but I find it amazing how people seem to think an environment of "might makes right" and perpetual violence is acceptable. I have a bad feeling many of these "punch the bad guys and they'll leave you alone" types either draw their world views from one too many macho movies, or are confusing a few events in their own life with what must happen everywhere.

As other have said, expecting people to just "punch out" the bullies is absurd, especially given the level of thugs these days who have no problem using weapons and sheer numbers (sometimes also with weapons) to beat the hell out of people they don't like. Actions should have consequences, and it should be painfully obvious that a school should be run like any other civilized part of society. We don't allow thugs to commit violent acts with no consequences in reality, nor do we punish the criminal and the victim the same in reality, either.
What you need to come to grips with is there are some in this world who would/will only learn from a bop to the nose. Generally they are young when that bop comes and they then realize "hey, I can get my arse kicked and it hurts" and their reasoning mind develops, kind of like being told the stove is hot but not getting it until you touch it and burn yourself.
There are some who's reasoning mind NEVER develops or is stunted and the only thing they understand is physical pain. Rationalization doesn't ever work with them.

"Most" kids I saw acting like bullies stopped it after a butt kicking or two and almost always ended up being friends with the person they bullied. Some came from dysfunctional homes, some were just dysfunctional until they hit an attitude adjustment...
As a real big kid I went from being bullied to a bully to not a bully after one smaller "wimpy kid" kicked my butt real good so I saw both sides of the deal.
One other big thing, back in the day parents got involved big time. The LAST thing you wanted was the school to call your parents. Nowadays either the parents don't care or are as bad as the kids...

Old 12-12-2017, 08:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Modern times require modern solutions. While never being needed in 'my day' of teachers having absolute authority with their word being sacrosanct against youthful excuses, today's over the top allowance of classroom misbehaviour is ultimately going to backfire with lower scores.

Put cameras everywhere but the washrooms in public schools. Recording the events as they occur so little Johnny cannot say he was innocent and more importantly; lil Johnny's parents after viewing the vid are completely stymied from pursuing suites, would bring an end to a lot of this nonsense.

"We got you on video lighting fire to that other kids backpack..while he was wearing it". This can be subpoenaed and used as evidence in any recuperative legal action brought against THE PARENTS.

This physical bullying chit would stop overnight. All parents would have too much skin in the game to risk defending "lil Johnny".

Old 12-12-2017, 08:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
The same 'destroy them' mentality that exists among adults when someone says even the slightest thing they deem offensive has been passed down to their children who aren't just *teasing* other kids - their intention is to destroy them. Nasty adults raising nasty children. It's not like it was back in the day. It's a whole other level of ugly and a real commitment to destroying another human being.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:51 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Parents are more proactive today in doing something about bullying. It may have something to do with the type of stories I am reading here and not wanting their kids to go through that.

Homeschooling wasn't even a option when I grew up. Now it's commonplace, at least in my area. I have mixed feelings about it but it's increasingly being done. I know plenty who didn't start out as homeschoolers but took their kids out of school because of bullying.

The girl I mentioned in another post got a rough start in life as she quit high school because of bullying. Her example was such an extreme one I can't blame her.

922 posts, read 790,574 times
I was bullied relentlessly from 3rd grade until 10th grade, back in the 60s and 70s. I was always told the following platitudes:

They are just insecure

Just ignore them and they will stop

They are jealous of you

You need to develop a thicker skin

They are just teasing because they like you

In short, nobody gave a rat's behind...

1,548 posts, read 912,527 times
I don't remember the school intervening at all. I was beat up on the bus, after I got off the bus. The school never did anything. Eventually I fought back, and guess what? The bully went away.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
In our time a fight at school stayed between two people and ended when one was down and could no longer fight back. Today’s students fight as a gang or tribe. They also bully in a gang. The one bullied can’t just fight one, her have to fight the whole gang at once. The problem is the school either can’t or won’t enforce discipline on the obvious trouble makers. It use to be easier to suspend or expel trouble students. This was effective in breaking up the gangs. It was also easier to do even if the student was the star football or basketball player. In some schools today the worst trouble makers are also football and or basketball players and those schools are far less likely to kick the player off the team through suspension or expulsion. That’s why so many criminal thugs make it to the NFL & NBA. Seems some schools have no fear punishing the victim of bullies but are too scared to eliminate the bullies.
Back when I was in H.S. football there was a very,very strict no drugs,no drinking and no ciggs rule. I remember a couple of our star linebackers being suspended from the team because they were seen smoking. Team sports back then were also seen as a place to learn how to be a responsible adult with good character.

I don't believe that is the case today as the schools are to wrapped up in winning at all costs. As an example, one of the high schools in our county who had a STELLAR football program had several of their football team arrested for sexual assault a few months ago. Not on girls or cheerleaders as you'd think but from hazing new/younger players.
There are also charges pending on the coaches,principal and a teacher or two for not stopping it after they were told it was happening.

THAT is where we are today...

Old 12-12-2017, 08:54 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default Boomers, what were expected of victims of bullying when you were in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
This might come as a shock to some of you, but it isn't the 1960s anymore.....
This might come as a shock to you. read the title of the thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies