Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

brilliant. and oh-so-progressive.

sorry for wapo link, google for alternative sources.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e4b18e6ead50

Quote:
The idea was proposed by Commissioner Roger Wolfson, a Hollywood screenwriter who cited research that he contended shows vegan diets “eliminate” many health problems in dogs, which are omnivores. But he said rethinking the dogs’ meals is about far more sweeping matters — the environmental effect of a meat industry that produces the main ingredients in lots of dog food and the ethics of feeding animals to animals.

“We have to embrace the fact that the raising and killing of animals for food purposes must only be done if we have absolutely no other choice,” Wolfson said at the meeting, according to a recording published on a county website. “This is about the long-term survival of every man, woman and child in this room, and all of the people in our lives.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 10:59 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
All LA animal shelters? Not a very good idea for the animas imo, particularly cats who need meat to survive.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:03 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,055,077 times
[quote=Wintergirl80;50395206]All LA animal shelters? Not a very good idea for the animas imo, particularly cats who need meat to survive.[/QUOTE]

LOL cats don't need meat to survive. Most eat dry food

Old 12-13-2017, 11:12 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
[quote=natalie469;50395223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
All LA animal shelters? Not a very good idea for the animas imo, particularly cats who need meat to survive.[/QUOTE]
And dried food is made of what, dear poster? Animal parts and animal by-products. I haven't done this, but next time we are in the pet food aisle, let's check the cat food labels for contents. Our pets don't get to drag what they want up to the register, so we must be educated on proper nutrition. The Human tends to select cheap but nutritious, the animal would pick tasty and filling.
It has been widely publicized and even the most fastidious of car lover/vegans have come to agree, part of a nutritious diet for dogs and especially for cats, must be essentially meat.

"But, hey, don't trust me, ask a veterinarian."

Old 12-13-2017, 11:21 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,679 times
I think vegan diets of a high caliber are fine for dogs (even my vet said so), but don't think I'd do vegan with my cats. A well-supervised vegan diet is possible for cats (required nutrients, like taurine, are just added), but I wouldn't want to take the chance. Not saying I'm right, just how I feel.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:40 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
It's inhumane not to give a dog meat. Dogs love meat. My last dog loved meat so much when I would occasionally feed it table scraps of steak it would literally eat it's next turd to savor the last of the juicy steak flavored goodness. You just don't see that kind of excitement in vegan dogs.

A strictly vegan diet for a dog should be considered some form of animal abuse.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:40 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
All LA animal shelters? Not a very good idea for the animas imo, particularly cats who need meat to survive.
This should be reported to PETA.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:49 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
I think vegan diets of a high caliber are fine for dogs (even my vet said so),
Let me get this straight.

Restricting a dog to only stuff he won't eat, and will starve to death even if it's piled up around him, is "fine"?

I guess my only question is, why do you refer to that as "thinking"?

Old 12-13-2017, 11:52 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
<dogness trimmed>You just don't see that kind of excitement in vegan dogs. A strictly vegan diet for a dog should be considered some form of animal abuse.
I understand your point, I just wish I hadn't read your post.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:44 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
[quote=natalie469;50395223]
Quote:
All LA animal shelters? Not a very good idea for the animas imo, particularly cats who need meat to survive.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yes, they absolutely do. They are obligate carnivores, and a vegan cat will soon be a dead cat.

Dry food is not good for cats, anyway. Most cats who receive only dry food are badly dehydrated.

The article doesn't mention cats. It speaks only of switching the dogs to vegan, but that's no good, either. All you have to do is look a dog's teeth, compared to the teeth of a horse or a cow, to see that dogs are not meant to be vegan.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 12-14-2017 at 02:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies