Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:41 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yeah and? It looks like the fake comments are coming from Leftists who are trying to fight tooth and nail to save it. 99% of the comments I read, which was about 50 were in SUPPORT of NN, not getting rid of it. It seems you might not understand what is going on here.
You are browsing a database of ALL the comments made, not a list of fake ones.

I am afraid I cannot make it clearer in words.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:43 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
First of all this isn't stealing anyone's identities. That is all public information that people post on social media. Besides, how do people know it was their name? How can they tell?

Edit: Not all of them have any address so I kept clicking until I found one. Anyway, the vast majority of the comments are PRO NN lol. So it looks like this was a campaign to defend it.
If I go around writing letters, posting, or representing myself/assuming the identity of Dbones, what would you call that? Now, I understand I'm not taking your SSN or getting credit cards in your name, but still, what would you call it?

Old 12-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
If I go around writing letters, posting, or representing myself/assuming the identity of Dbones, what would you call that?
If you addressed your communication to people familiar with Dbones, I'd call it counterproductive.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Dude, most of the comments were in SUPPORT of NN, not getting rid of it.
Did I say they weren't?

You highlight one reason why this could be very important - the scale to which this is unpopular could be hidden by the fact that many of the pro-repeal comments were fake. So this decision might look more popular than it is in reality if you were to judge the American people's feelings on the matter based solely on these comments.

I posted this in the OP: https://hackernoon.com/more-than-a-m...d-e9f0e3ed36a6

Some interesting findings:
Quote:
From this chart we can see that the pro-repeal comments (there are approximately 8.6 million of them) are much more likely to be exact duplicates (dark red bars) and are submitted in much larger blocks. If even 25% of these pro-repeal comments are found to have been spam, that would still result in more than 2 million faked pro-repeal comments, each with an email address attached. Further verification should be done on the email addresses used to submit these likely spam comments.

On the other hand, comments in favor of net neutrality were more likely to deviate from a form letter (light green, as opposed to dark green bars) and were much more numerous in the long tail. If the type, means of submission, and ‘spamminess’ of comments from both sides were equal, we would expect a roughly even distribution of light and dark, red and green, throughout the bars. This is evidently not the case here.¹⁵
Quote:
Organic Public Comments: 99%+ Support Keeping Net Neutrality

And what of the less than 800,000 comments submitted that were not a duplicate or clustered as part of a comment category? Does the trend of comments turning in favor of net neutrality continue in the long tail?

It turns out old-school statistics allows us to take a representative sample and get a pretty good approximation of the population proportion and a confidence interval. After taking a 1000 comment random sample of the 800,000 organic comments and scanning through them, I was only able to find three comments that were clearly pro-repeal.¹⁶ That results in an estimate of the population proportion at 99.7%. In fact, we are so near 100% pro net neutrality that the confidence interval goes outside of 100%.¹⁷ At the very minimum, we can conclude that the vast preponderance of individuals passionate enough about the issue to write up their own comment are for keeping net neutrality.

Put another way, "pro-repeal" comments were MUCH more likely to generated by spam or submitted in large (unedited) blocks, and subsequently the proportion of pro-repeal to pro-NN comments is very likely inflated.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 12-19-2017 at 01:31 PM..

Old 12-19-2017, 01:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You are browsing a database of ALL the comments made, not a list of fake ones.

I am afraid I cannot make it clearer in words.
Smart people have also done statistical analysis on these comments and found some damning stats related to pro-repeal comments and how often they tend to be spam-generated. See my comment above (or the OP).

Old 12-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Smart people have also done statistical analysis on these comments and found some damning stats related to pro-repeal comments and how often they tend to be spam-generated. See my comment above (or the OP).
Let's make it clear to Dbones what he's actually reading before we start in on the fancy subjects, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies