Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 10:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
We don't need more workers.

We have robots.
Then who will build and maintain the robots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 01:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Is he off his rocker?

Old 12-17-2017, 08:04 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
A bit larger, I think.

Just checked - Millennial generation is bigger, more diverse than boomers - CNNMoney

About 20 million more millennials than boomers.

I don't know why anyone still thinks that Ryan ever knows what he's talking about.

Then why this big push to have more babies and to increase our immigration numbers? Seems the millennial's have already replaced the boomers and then some.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But many of the baby boomers are still working and plan on working into their 70's and even 80's so why do they need to be replaced at this time? We don't need to replace them all anyway. It's a Ponzi scheme as I said. It's means eternally having to replace a large workforce with fewer jobs in the future. .

Most people I know want a fair and liveable wage aka a decent job. They don't want to work just to get barely get by.
They are still working now. In 20 years, when my kids are in their 30s and part of the labor force, they won't be working.

Yes, I want fair and livable wages for all. Unfortunately, that's not happening anytime soon.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Well, I guess Ryan is going to have to tell all these business owners to stop being so greedy and cheap and be like Google and offer daycare for their hard workers, or give them benefits and pay to make up the difference of the high cost of child care. Or, maybe it's time for you to look into a home based business.
Of course it comes back to the workers. Business nor government have any hand in decreasing birth rates, huh?

Not everyone can or should have a home based business. The women I know who work full time are valuable assets to their companies and they shouldn't have to be told to stay home and work from home in order to have children.

The intelligent answer is government mandated low cost childcare and healthcare. I know! I know! Scary words.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
There are plenty of people over 50 who were laid off and can't find work due to age discrimination.
And there are plenty of people who can't find jobs due to bad credit, criminal backgrounds, etc. Hmmm...I swear we just discussed this here in the last month or so. So many people were on the Too Bad, So Sad train IRT able bodied Americans not being able to secure employment due to the aforementioned barriers.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Jezebel is your reading material, and you expect us to consider your view unbiased?
I could have posted from any number of sites. The important part of is the video showing Ryan saying these words.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:15 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Then who will build and maintain the robots?
Other robots.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Then why this big push to have more babies and to increase our immigration numbers? Seems the millennial's have already replaced the boomers and then some.
Um - looking at who supports Ryan, my guess would be that he thinks workers' wages should be lower than they are. Or at least should stay low. Somehow, he doesn't wonder who's going to buy american if the average wage stays low.

But I'm not a good source on Ryan's state of mind, he's never made any sense to me.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:33 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Because the capitalistic model for prosperity, innovation and return-on-investment, is predicated on (1) an exponentially growing population, and (2) stable ratio of children:workers:retirees. If any of these factors grossly deviates from expected trends, we'll have instability and shaky prospects for growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies