Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 09:40 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,570,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Indeed. This is exactly why I didn't care that the property tax deduction was being reduced. Those states and localities with insanely high property taxes should consider lowering those taxes and reining in spending.
If they deported illegals that would solve the problem. Calfornia spends billions on them every year. Imagine if the citizens could use that money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 09:42 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Sitting pretty here in blue WA state with no income tax and low property taxes.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:31 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
God forbid California and other blue states reign in spending.
I live in a high tax blue state which I don't mind. Our public schools are one of the best in the country. Our taxes go to improving infrastructure....roads and bridges need to be repaired. Our taxes go to keeping our bay clean. Most of you are just thinking about yourself. I think about my taxes benefiting our state

Old 12-19-2017, 11:33 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,367,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
It doesn't get rid of it but it gives it a good whack. My town left a message on my answering machine that I might want to consider prepaying 2018 property taxes to take advantage of the 2017 deduction. No mention of lowering taxes, nonono.

For real games...look what California is considering...

"One option that could be considered by the Legislature would be to redefine state and local taxes as charitable contributions, which remain fully deductible under the GOP tax proposals. The idea isn’t as implausible as it seems: The Internal Revenue Service and federal courts have ruled that government entities can count as charities for the purpose of the charitable deduction, even when the donor receives a full state or local tax credit in return."
It will seem pretty implausible when taxpayers (or non-taxpayers) decide they aren't feeling very charitable and withhold their payments.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:15 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I live in a high tax blue state which I don't mind. Our public schools are one of the best in the country. Our taxes go to improving infrastructure....roads and bridges need to be repaired. Our taxes go to keeping our bay clean. Most of you are just thinking about yourself. I think about my taxes benefiting our state
If your husband's job is a government job, then of course you don't mind...but you won't answer that question. When you first mentioned (at least the first time I noticed) that you are a union family, a poster (not me) asked if that was a public employee union or a private sector union. Your answer was that you aren't the employee, your husband is, so that you didn't feel right answering that question (as if that should matter...no one would know your identity on an anonymous forum unless you chose to tell someone ).

Old 12-20-2017, 05:49 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,565,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
God forbid California and other blue states reign in spending.
California, now a sanctuary state, spends $24 BILLION a year on welfare and expenses for illegals which lowers wages, dumbs down education, takes jobs from Americans, creates massive SS and identity theft, and increases increased crime. They've dropped near the bottom in public education and have the highest poverty/welfare in the country.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:27 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
If your husband's job is a government job, then of course you don't mind...but you won't answer that question. When you first mentioned (at least the first time I noticed) that you are a union family, a poster (not me) asked if that was a public employee union or a private sector union. Your answer was that you aren't the employee, your husband is, so that you didn't feel right answering that question (as if that should matter...no one would know your identity on an anonymous forum unless you chose to tell someone ).
I live in a blue state and neither my husband nor I have a government job. I don't mind my property taxes as I'm really happy with our school system.

I lived in MA for a while. I remember one day having to drive into a snowstorm in NH. You could actually tell exactly when you hit the state line because the roads in MA were all being cleared and treated while those in NH, which has no state tax, we're a treacherous mess. Accidents everywhere.

There was a Republican strategist on TV last night saying the blue states deserve to be screwed by this bill. Nice unity there.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:29 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
California, now a sanctuary state, spends $24 BILLION a year on welfare and expenses for illegals which lowers wages, dumbs down education, takes jobs from Americans, creates massive SS and identity theft, and increases increased crime. They've dropped near the bottom in public education and have the highest poverty/welfare in the country.
Assuming for a moment that you are correct - how much do you think they contribute to the economy to offset that?

Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

There was a Republican strategist on TV last night saying the blue states deserve to be screwed by this bill. Nice unity there.
Over 200 Dems didn't want ANYONE to get a tax cut. Nice unity there as well.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:14 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
2 cities in Texas made the to 11 for cities where the population gets hurt. Houston and Austin.
Indeed. Our property taxes are ridiculously high already. I might remind people that homeowners are the ones who pay for most childrens' education, so this tax restriction will push more Americans to rent instead of own their homes. Home ownership is getting more and more expensive, and if one is unable to reap the tax benefits, renting may be more advantageous to families. Thanks, GOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies