Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 02:40 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

A democrat mindset. . =Those poor black people.. Because they are black and are inferior to us white elites, we must give them a big helping hand and throw them a welfare check and pity them for their black skin.

Republicans. Blacks are no different . They can make a good life with a good education,getting good skills and are a valuable asset to society. Black white red , we all are Americans and want a good life,good job,and creat our own success .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 02:52 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
I don't mean to disrespect the title of theater historian, but I don't believe it qualifies this professor to judge whether this song is racist. It reminds me of an essay I read years ago wherein a university instructor argued, albeit poorly, that homosexuality is unnatural. At the end of the essay was a notation that her degree was an MA in English. I guess she was hoping that the reader would be too stupid to realize that she was no biologist.

Anyway, I am also not an historian, but I think the mistake this professor is making is yanking something out of its time and judging it by 2017 standards. Blackface was, unfortunately, much more common in the 19th century. That doesn't mean that every song performed in blackface had racist content.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:52 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
not this song. I don't care either way. But there ARE lots of other little jingles and songs that came from racism towards blacks. Like eenie meenie minie mo. But yeah, just reading through article about this, the main thing I saw is that the song was apparently first performed at a minstrel show.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
What I mean was their aren't many radical leftist ideas getting pushed in government anywhere even NYC and San Francisco don't have many truly SJW-ish legislation (sanctuary cities aren't SJW but more of general Democrat policy), Maybe you would be excluded but people who post stuff like this and say the Left is ending America, look at these guys sound less rational than someone saying Trump will turn America into a dictatorship as Trump can actually do that, as in (do something that affects the entire country) while the leftists can really only write articles and the one or two truly insane ones might commit a crime.
I see what you're saying but disagree.

These ideas and the culture surrounding them (academia and media) have traditionally been major influences in personal morality as well as actual law (though I have no interest in the latter but it will impact people...true).

And yes, it is ultimately as simple as turning the tv off, ignoring, or don't send your kid/go to that university because personal responsibility is paramount.

But to me it's just a shame that it came to this. Media and academia could be...could be...great instruments for the betterment of individuals and society at large.

Not only do you have to get yourself and your kids away from them...you have to actively fight against them. That to me, is sad.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:03 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Anyway, I am also not an historian, but I think the mistake this professor is making is yanking something out of its time and judging it by 2017 standards. Blackface was, unfortunately, much more common in the 19th century. That doesn't mean that every song performed in blackface had racist content.
I got what the professor was reaching for though. It's just a waste of time to even bring it up in todays climate where people excuse all white racism, all the way to "good people on both sides". But yeah, if the song in its original form was performed by a blackface "performer" with intentionally bad "slave" broken English, then yeah I see the professors point. But people here the song now and how it's performed now and they don't see it. And most people would still just play stupid. So it's a waste of time on the professors part to even attempt to educate people.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I was going to ask what websites you guys go to where you can continually fuel your outrage machine. Then I saw that it was the original outrage aggregator, faux news.
Who cares.
So the Boston University professor didn’t say that?

Old 12-17-2017, 03:12 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Again BU paper is a local paper, their is a YouTuber who says this but basically "If all the Right can bring up are nutty professors, and SJW students as too what is ruining America and an insane leftist brings up Trump, the insane leftist has a point as their talking about people that actually effect policy while the guys on the right is doing the equivalent of talking about a KKK grand wizard publishing an article that is racist as ruining America". It's pointless and faux outrage, you can of course post how many articles of radical leftists you want but if no one is getting hurt and it's just words in means nothing.
I have to disagree. Where do you think all these students end up after college? In government, in HR departments, in lots of places that do affect your everyday life. And they’re being brainwashed to hate everything and believe they’re being oppressed constantly. This is a problem.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I'm starting to miss summer when all we had to worry about was watermelon and shoe nooses.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:20 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I have to disagree. Where do you think all these students end up after college? In government, in HR departments, in lots of places that do affect your everyday life. And they’re being brainwashed to hate everything and believe they’re being oppressed constantly. This is a problem.
Also law firms, politics as well as government, and the back office functions like HR in corporations. I would add brainwashed in hating everything that made America a great country in the first place. I think all this America hate started with the Vietnam War protesters.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:48 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I got what the professor was reaching for though. It's just a waste of time to even bring it up in todays climate where people excuse all white racism, all the way to "good people on both sides". But yeah, if the song in its original form was performed by a blackface "performer" with intentionally bad "slave" broken English, then yeah I see the professors point. But people here the song now and how it's performed now and they don't see it. And most people would still just play stupid. So it's a waste of time on the professors part to even attempt to educate people.
Maybe we're all (myself included) having trouble with the distinction of something being "rooted in racism" as opposed to "racist." The knee-jerk reaction is to think "oh, so you're saying that if I sing this song, I'm being racist?!" but I'm not sure that's what she meant to convey. Maybe she is just pointing out that this particular, seemingly innocuous song, was used in a derisive, discriminatory way. Which brings to light that many parts of pop culture that we take for granted are likely to have that kind of history if they're old enough. I'm just not sure if it's a point worth making. I also might be influenced in a negative way by how the media is reporting this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies