Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:01 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Rep Brady had an interesting exchange on Morning Joe this morning refusing to address the carried interest loophole. He referred to the questions as obsessed and biased and tried to pivot the question by repeatedly asserting that the working class people in his district don't understand carried interest so he doesn't need to talk about it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...erest-loophole

While that may be true, why is the lack of tax education for working class voters the basis for not following through and not having to answer questions? The implications are huge because this sort of (ridiculous) messaging works. Moreover, the people Brady refers to are the people that got Trump elected in the first place, working class people. Trump is the one who said he would deal with it. What an insult to people's intelligence.

I would love to be able to say that question is too complicated for most people to understand therefore I won't answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 07:06 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
They will understand that they need to be locked into their home for five years or pay capital gains taxes.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Huh, didn't trump make a huge deal about this at one of the debates? And say it was Clinton ' s fault she did not personally ensure this was removed while she was a senator? Wasn't he all gung-ho on removing it? What happened?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:23 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Huh, didn't trump make a huge deal about this at one of the debates? And say it was Clinton ' s fault she did not personally ensure this was removed while she was a senator? Wasn't he all gung-ho on removing it? What happened?
Art of the deal!!!! Make a big deal about something you actually don't care about and then allow it to be compromised away.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:14 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Can't say as I care.
Most people with jobs will get a tax break.
America will become competitive and will attract companies who are looking for a home.
The Tax bill will become law - and a good one at that.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:45 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
I'm more concerned with the messaging. It literally reads as my voters are simple and ignorant why should I explain myself to them?

Old 12-19-2017, 08:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

Not just the debates - also at rallies. I believe it went like this "Hedge fund managers are getting away with MURDER".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'm more concerned with the messaging. It literally reads as my voters are simple and ignorant why should I explain myself to them?
That's what they think. That's how these bullshyte bills get passed.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:54 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
They will care when they lose all these nice tax credits, while corporations do nothing like the GOP is claiming.

Pay increases, no way.

Large tax cuts, not happening for 90%

More expense to individual when corrections show up, that will happen.

More taxes to Federal Govt. when the deficit is so large that the economy stalls, that will happen

The Stock Markets will drop when all those people figure out that their profit from the sale will not be taxed at the normal rate, that will happen.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:22 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Rep Brady had an interesting exchange on Morning Joe this morning refusing to address the carried interest loophole. He referred to the questions as obsessed and biased and tried to pivot the question by repeatedly asserting that the working class people in his district don't understand carried interest so he doesn't need to talk about it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...erest-loophole

While that may be true, why is the lack of tax education for working class voters the basis for not following through and not having to answer questions? The implications are huge because this sort of (ridiculous) messaging works. Moreover, the people Brady refers to are the people that got Trump elected in the first place, working class people. Trump is the one who said he would deal with it. What an insult to people's intelligence.

I would love to be able to say that question is too complicated for most people to understand therefore I won't answer.
Really? Too hard to understand? from your link

Carried interest is the portion of a fund’s profit -- usually a 20 percent share -- that’s paid to private-equity managers, venture capitalists, hedge fund managers and certain real estate investors. Currently, tax authorities treat that income as capital gains, making it eligible for a rate as low as 20 percent. The top tax rate for ordinary income is 39.6 percent.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Well, he's likely right that his constituents don't understand it. They don't understand a lot of things. Look who they elected???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies