Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 10:30 AM

18,461 posts, read 9,104,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ah, Republican talking points 101. Starve a government service of funds, point to it failing, "privatize" to reward stalwart donors who can then profit from it.
That’s called freedom.

Why do you hate freedom? Why do you hate America?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 10:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,457,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Title pretty well says it. Government does a lousy job providing what services they do provide, do so at a horribly high cost, and government workers are never held accountable. Yesterday, a freshly rebuilt (to the tune of $180 million taxpayer dollars) railroad track was operated by the government. On the very first train run on that track, the government drone driving it went into a posted 30mph zone at 80mph, derailing the train, killing 3 people, injuring dozens. Even worse the main N/S west coast highway is still closed due to a railroad engine laying across it.

And...some people think turning health care over to the government-and government workers-is a good idea? Are you serious?
Do you know any old people? They seem quite enthusiastic about their Medicare.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:53 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,468,897 times
Quote:
Title pretty well says it.
It certainly does, it says you compare “the government” to a single train engineer.

Great comparison.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:08 AM

45,131 posts, read 26,310,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ah, Republican talking points 101. Starve a government service of funds, point to it failing, "privatize" to reward stalwart donors who can then profit from it.
Righto, the guv just needs to steal more from us to keep its varios ponzi's from collapsing

Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,056,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
It's actually a typical topic from the people who hate their own government, 3 or 4 are started everyday.

Every other civilized country's government can run their trains at twice the speed we can get ours up to. Conservatives would have you believe that your government can't do anything right, when in reality it just comes down to their refusal to fund it.
It is NOT that simple. I support UHC so let's get that out of the way. We refuse to hold people accountable when they do a poor job.

Quote:
Before the Republicans worked themselves up into a lather over their hatred of their government, it funded our interstate highway system. Of course we can't afford to spend dick on our infrastructure now that they've put us in a trillion and a half dollar deficit hole.
It wasn't just them that put us in the hole. Obama was gave $800 billion to do infrastructure and instead it was largely used to pay for tax cuts and pay off campaign donors.

Quote:
I understand why, it's no skin off their noses, Republican's wouldn't be caught dead on a train. Mass transit is for those unwashed 'masses' who're too lazy to earn enough to fly...
On any given day there are thousands of Republicans riding the trains.

These kinds of arguments come from both sides. No one actually interested in bettering the country and holding those who do wrong accountable for their actions, only in demonizing the other side.

Yes the Republican's are absolutely wrong in their refusal to see that the health needs of the country are met. The Democrats were wrong for giving that need to the pharmaceutical and insurance industry to meet. Funny thing is, the argument is health care is messed up because it is run by the government. It is not. By and large people are happy with Medicare and Medicaid. Nobody is really happy with Obamacare.

Those of us that want UHC know Obamacare was a very poor answer to that. The numbers were there, why they didn't do the right thing is sad. Are the Republicans to blame for all of this also? Without question. Neither party works for the people. For the most part both work for Wall Street.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Righto, the guv just needs to steal more from us to keep its varios ponzi's from collapsing
That's what they are doing with Wall Street. The never ending desire to feed it over everything else can't last forever.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:02 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,627,871 times
What a silly statement when the Government split atoms, installed GPS satellites and cured dozens of diseases.

Using this "logic" (is this right-wing logic), I should never buy a Tesla because Musk has crashed a BUNCH of rockets. I should never buy anything from Amazon either because they crashed rockets also.

Hint - we learn by doing. We learn from mistakes. This country (I'll say the right wing, in general) decided long ago that they did not want to invest properly in trains and other big infrastructure. As a result we don't have the systems in place to engineer, build and maintain modern systems. You'll find many of the trains being installed from Siemens or Bombardier or other companies not from the USA.

Another major thing making us a "2nd world country".

Old 12-20-2017, 12:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,462,660 times
Quote:
Title pretty well says it. Government does a lousy job providing what services they do provide, do so at a horribly high cost, and government workers are never held accountable. Yesterday, a freshly rebuilt (to the tune of $180 million taxpayer dollars) railroad track was operated by the government. On the very first train run on that track, the government drone driving it went into a posted 30mph zone at 80mph, derailing the train, killing 3 people, injuring dozens. Even worse the main N/S west coast highway is still closed due to a railroad engine laying across it.

And...some people think turning health care over to the government-and government workers-is a good idea? Are you serious?
If that's the case we ought to be cutting the military budget by 75%. Vietnam and Gulf war ...what a bargain! High school half-wits running a war? What a country!

Old 12-20-2017, 02:26 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,998,364 times
Quote:
No-the bigger question is how did the government manage to hire such an incompetent operator. If I decided to ignore the speed limit and drive my vehicle through a school zone at 80mph and take out a bunch of kids in a crosswalk-would you blame the lack of "speed restriction technology". Or would you place the blame on the operator?

This is no different than the VA. Our veterans are dying waiting for treatment, and due to incompetent treatment. Yet NO ONE is ever held responsible.

My VA healthcare facilities do better than the private sector. I have used both/
Which VA facilities have you used?

Old 12-20-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
My VA healthcare facilities do better than the private sector. I have used both/
Which VA facilities have you used?
I've never used the VA but I've heard the stories my son in law has told. Paperwork screw ups. Appointments never marked down and him having to drive the 80 miles back home.

People should be fired over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies