Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 09:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I've often said the far-right views the world in simplistic terms - you must be totally "for" or "against" some concept, you are either a close friend or a hated enemy, and so on. This is why having nuanced discussions with them, such as, "I agree with Senator whoever on his energy policy, but not on his tax plan," is impossible. You must either love or hate something. This is why they honestly think anybody who hates Trump (and for good reason) must "love Hillary" because they see the world in simplistic tribes with clearly defined borders who all hate each other. Black vs. White, Muslim vs. Christian, Straight vs. Gay, and so on.

I've sometimes wondered if Hollywood and the simplistic morality of cheap entertainment has helped create this problem. Many people do not go to the movies or watch TV for complex plots that lack obvious heroes and villains, and often the biggest blockbusters are the ones with shallow, one-note characters who are obviously "good" or "bad."

Comparing Trump to Clint Eastwood is a hilarious extrapolation of this concept. Here, we have Trump - a sleazy, back-stabbing coward who's destroyed everything he's ever touched, doesn't pay his taxes or employees, and who dodged the draft - being compared to the fictional, "dark hero" characters portrayed by a famous movie actor. The comparison is absurd. Trump is not a man of courage, he faces no consequences for his failures, and nothing is really at stake. But because of the tribal mindset, him simply mouthing off and threatening people is seen as "heroism" because "he's part of my tribe and must be one of the heroes."

It's fascinating and sad all at once.

I've long said that conservative thinking is very black and white. There is NO nuance, no shades of gray, no real thought process put into anything. As you said, it's love/hate - for/against - nothing in between. It's why conservatives are drawn to an authoritarian leader. Someone they can blindly follow without thinking for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Petty, vindictive, oblivious to consequences. Same way Dotard ran the business he inherited from daddy.
Yep. But - hey - like the Cowboy from yesterday - the US thinks that they can go it alone with the rest of the world against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:10 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Man, I love this guy.

Vote against us at the U. N and then expect a U.S financial handout?

Nope...."we don't care".

Non political correctness at it's finest.

Go ahead make my day...

Trump threatens U.N. nations rejecting Jerusalem declaration
When we cut aid to countries like Iraq and Afghanistan, the result is fairly predictable: Iran, Russia and/or terrorists will take over.

This is the worst foreign policy this nation has ever seen.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:12 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Man, I love this guy.

Vote against us at the U. N and then expect a U.S financial handout?

Nope...."we don't care".

Non political correctness at it's finest.

Go ahead make my day...

Trump threatens U.N. nations rejecting Jerusalem declaration
LOL, no, he is the Howdy Doody of politics.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I threaten you if you don't do what I want. It is blackmail.
I threaten you by not giving you MY MONEY that you didn't earn is NOT blackmail.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:16 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Our Western allies don't receive development aid from us, so clearly it was aimed at poorer countries, like Egypt and Turkey.

We will have to agree to disagree. I dont think they thought they could keep the Muslim countries from voting against us on this. That would be suicide for any Muslim leader. I think this was a general shot across the bow that things wont work with the US the way they have in the past, and that if you oppose us on issues like this that concern our sovereign rights , we will remember . Haleys comment was a general shot to other countries. Trumps comments were for American ears.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I threaten you by not giving you MY MONEY that you didn't earn is NOT blackmail.

I threaten you by not giving you something you depend on is blackmail.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:18 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Of course, I do.

I give you money, but you speak against me. If I stop giving you my money because of that, it's blackmail.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

If this is not mental disease, I don't know what is.
That’s idiotic... actually... if the use that term blackmail so loosely, EVERYTHING is blackmail.. quite clearly, blackmail is not everywhere...

Old 12-21-2017, 09:19 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Rather amusing that people are yearning for a Rambo.

Lol and trying to find him inside a thin-skinned imperious coward with 5 deferments to avoid any type of real danger. Sad!

Maybe they are similar. In reality Clint Eastwood is an actor who lectures empty chairs. Trump is a con man who rants and raves at tvs. Real tough guys.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:20 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I threaten you by not giving you something you depend on is blackmail.
You do understand that something is "MY MONEY THAT YOU DIDN"T EARN," right?

It is rightfully mine and I have every right to use it in anyway I see fit, right? I have no obligation to give you my money at all.

Your dependence on my money is YOUR PROBLEM, not mine.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

It's not blackmail because there's no victim here.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:21 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
There is no blackmail... there are consequences for said actions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies