Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:53 PM

42,765 posts, read 26,048,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
I'm OK with dropping the mandate but as part of that change they should have made it illegal for hospitals to pass the cost of non-payers on to the rest of us through higher costs.
You're kidding, right? Under EMTALA ER's have to treat anyone who walks in the door, how are they supposed to recover those costs unless they jack up their fees to cover them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And what do we settle for, the old system? That is the issue I see...
No, we demand candidates that will actually fight for Universal Health Care.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:48 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Glad it's gone. To penalize someone for not buying something they do not want or cannot afford is just plain wrong.
I don't care if you want insurance or not. If you have to have surgery or go through chemo or radiation who is going to pay for you if you don't have insurance. Do you have hundreds of thousand dollars to spend out of pocket. If you don't, we pick up the cost for you. How is that fair.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
And what do we settle for, the old system? That is the issue I see...
How about we demand the same insurance congress gets. I love how they decide what insurance we should have when it doesn't affect them.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:14 PM

18,792 posts, read 8,409,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
I'm OK with dropping the mandate but as part of that change they should have made it illegal for hospitals to pass the cost of non-payers on to the rest of us through higher costs.
Hospitals negotiate reimbursements with the plans. The loss of the Mandate will mean less profits for the hospital as they see more non-paying patients. And will renegotiate rates the next period/year. Rates will probably rise as a result and policy applicants will then pay more. If the hospitals can't profit they go out of business.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How about we demand the same insurance congress gets. I love how they decide what insurance we should have when it doesn't affect them.
Besides the powerful lobby (where Republicans get the reason to bemoan healthcare reform) I think it stands a chance. Then again Democrats had that chance in 09, instead they decided to pass Obamacare as a "compromise" and we saw what happened anyway...

Old 01-02-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Besides the powerful lobby (where Republicans get the reason to bemoan healthcare reform) I think it stands a chance. Then again Democrats had that chance in 09, instead they decided to pass Obamacare as a "compromise" and we saw what happened anyway...
We are not talking about Obama. He is not president anymore.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,925,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You're kidding, right? Under EMTALA ER's have to treat anyone who walks in the door, how are they supposed to recover those costs unless they jack up their fees to cover them?
Actually this is part of the reason why hospitals get their drugs at manufacturer cost instead of wholesale like independent pharmacies do. They mark 'em up 1000% +++ and make HUGE profits off of them which, from what I'm told offset the non payers...
Example:
Fine Health Pharmacy owned by "Joe the Pharmacist" orders a bottle of 1000 Hydrocodone tabs and pays $250. Hospital orders the same bottle of 1000 tabs and pays $30 or less.

Fine Health Pharmacy sells said pills/bills insurance for .40 cents each where the hospital bills $5 in hospital and the same .40 cents at it's retail pharmacies but remember they only paid .03 cents for 'em to begin with.

Last edited by jimj; 01-03-2018 at 08:18 AM..

Old 01-03-2018, 08:22 AM

18,792 posts, read 8,409,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually this is part of the reason why hospitals get their drugs at manufacturer cost instead of wholesale like independent pharmacies do. They mark 'em up 1000% +++ and make HUGE profits off of them which, from what I'm told offset the non payers...
Example:
Fine Health Pharmacy owned by "Joe the Pharmacist" orders a bottle of 1000 Hydrocodone tabs and pays $250. Hospital orders the same bottle of 1000 tabs and pays $50 or less.

Fine Health Pharmacy sells said pills/bills insurance for .40 cents each where the hospital bills $5 in hospital and the same .40 cents at it's retail pharmacies.
Dealing with hospitals you have to look at the big picture of hospital profits.

Hospitals can price and charge whatever they want. But what third party plans and individuals pay is another matter. Hospitals can **** and moan til the cows come home. But all they can do is renegotiate rates the next period or year to try and increase their profits. If they have a non paying patient they make less profit, and you and I probably do not pay more today. Possibly next year.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We are not talking about Obama. He is not president anymore.
ACA/Obamacare was a Republican idea. They hate it because Obama signed the bill. Obama is relevant in the discussion of healthcare. That said I don't see a REAL plan from the Republicans. The only real healthcare plan I would settle for is UHI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies