Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 06:18 PM

31,896 posts, read 34,405,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You're kind of getting at the point I was hinting at. The "hippie" aspect that is played over and over again in the media about the 60's perhaps was largely overblown? It's often a major characteristic that people like to bring up when they talk about the boomers - but how true is it really for the generation as a cohort?
From the net.

Quote:
In 1968, the late social scientist Lewis Yablonsky published The Hippie Trip: A Firsthand Account of the Beliefs and Behaviors of Hippies in America By A Noted Sociologist, one of the few books that actually tried to count the size of the American hippie population while the hippie phenomenon was still ongoing. Yablonsky estimated that there were 200,000 full-time hippies in the United States who were both conspicuously identifiable as hippies and had dropped out of mainstream society. In addition, Yablonsky estimated that there were another 200,000 teenyboppers, part-time hippies, and "weekend hippies" who might go to high school, college, or a "straight" day job, but participated in hippie culture on an occasional basis. That gives us an estimate of about 400,000 total hippies in 1968.

For the sake of making a clean estimation, I'm going to exclude Baby Boomers who weren't yet teenagers in 1968 as "ineligible" to be part of the counterculture. That means the relevant Baby Boom cohort to use as a denominator is all Baby Boomers who were born between 1946 (the start of the Baby Boom) and 1955 (the cohort that would have turned 13 years old in 1968). Based on data I found at Births in the United States 1930 to 2007, the size of the 1946-1955 Baby Boom cohort was 34.13 million. If we use Yablonsky's estimate of 400,000 hippies as the numerator, then the percentage of Baby Boomers who participated in the 1960s counterculture would be only 1.17% (400,000/34.13 million = .0117).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 07:27 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,980,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I really do not think many 'boomers' are living on pensions or even have them. Most pensions disappeared in the 80s. There may be a few of the very first boomers with a pension, but most people who have pensions in retirement are over 80. A lot of those pension people were also promised health care for life, but that also disappeared quickly. Companies simply revoked it, and there was not much that could be done.

Born in 1950. been collecting my pension since 2010.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:30 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,980,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I really do not think many 'boomers' are living on pensions or even have them. Most pensions disappeared in the 80s. There may be a few of the very first boomers with a pension, but most people who have pensions in retirement are over 80. A lot of those pension people were also promised health care for life, but that also disappeared quickly. Companies simply revoked it, and there was not much that could be done.

Oh you could have done something........you just didn't..........

Old 12-21-2017, 07:31 PM

30,486 posts, read 21,675,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You could also blame the DNC for fielding an even worse candidate.
They do think they can win by just opposing Trump. They hate Trump and cant believe how great the economy is doing under Trump

Old 12-21-2017, 07:35 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,596,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And they screwed the last nail to the coffin by electing a dotard to be our president. This generation will be the villains for future historians.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/201...-congress-debt
I am right gen x, i blame the BOOMERs definitely. Sure plenty of other are to blame too. But they are the ones who set this train in motion and they are the ones who haven gotten fat benefits have been voting to deprive everyone behind them. They are greedy as hell, instead of voting to protect their grandkids they voted for Trump .

it is not just boomers but they are the biggest group and they vote to impoverish everyone following.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:36 PM

44,929 posts, read 59,916,725 times
Pensions.

Y'all do know that the time when everyone had a pension never existed, right? In fact, only roughly 35% or so had them at the time of most coverage.

The bottom started falling out of them during the economic upheavals of the 1970s and 80s. Upheavals brought to you by decisions made and governmental policies adopted going back to right after the end of WWII. Yes boys and girls, Mee Maw and Paw Paw are the ones who started screwing you, not your Boomer parents. In fact, we were screwed by those policies too.

The Rise and Fall of Employer-Sponsored Pension Plans – Workforce Magazine

http://www.epi.org/blog/private-sect...erage-decline/

Old 12-21-2017, 07:49 PM

30,486 posts, read 21,675,558 times
Yep, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Bill Clinton, Obama, GW, and all the other druggies ran us into the ground

Old 12-21-2017, 08:04 PM

19,915 posts, read 8,807,549 times
Boomer here. I get a pension from the federal government, I get $9000 a month. I've been receiving it every month since Aug 2007 when I turned 55. My wife gets a pension too, plus she gets Social Security. Life is good. I have all I need. Thanks to all of you.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:08 PM

17,899 posts, read 27,290,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And they screwed the last nail to the coffin by electing a dotard to be our president. This generation will be the villains for future historians.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/201...-congress-debt
A, America is not screwed.
B, your post is an idiot.

Oh, and a gift for you from me...

Waa! Not My Pwesident waa!

Old 12-21-2017, 08:37 PM

7,786 posts, read 7,991,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I am right gen x, i blame the BOOMERs definitely. Sure plenty of other are to blame too. But they are the ones who set this train in motion and they are the ones who haven gotten fat benefits have been voting to deprive everyone behind them. They are greedy as hell, instead of voting to protect their grandkids they voted for Trump .

it is not just boomers but they are the biggest group and they vote to impoverish everyone following.
BS I am a Boomer and love the present economy under Trump and am banking thousands.I am one of the last Carpenters Obama tried to put out of work with illegal immigration.Now I turn down work.I could collect SS tomorrow but prefer the big bucks Trump is sending my way due to his booming economy.Talk about boomers and booming.Sorry you made poor life choices and hate your life and blame the boomers Maybe stop working for slave Masters and learn Carpentry and become self employed and pick and choose your jobs.You sound like a baby who screwed up and wants to blame us old farts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies