Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 03:16 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
The tax calculator says I'd save $7k.

I would lose on deductions, but would gain on tax rates. I also get $1k tax credit? Anyway, thanks a lot. I pay more federal income taxes than many people's incomes.

I think the most significant part of this reform is lowering corporate tax rate. Other parts of the reform are just pleasing voters. The corporate tax rate was like never changed. What the corporate tax rate change will do is employment will be up with corporate profit increases. Businesses will plan to expand including more hiring.

I'm unsure on the bolded. Who are they going to hire? With unemployment below 5% we are basically at full employment.

The people left to hire are basically undesireable/unhireable.

So hopefully, it means instead that people already hired will see rising wages and each crop of kids coming out of high school/college will easily be able to find jobs. The rest we will have to continue to subsidize as we always have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 08:45 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
[/b]

I'm unsure on the bolded. Who are they going to hire? With unemployment below 5% we are basically at full employment.

The people left to hire are basically undesireable/unhireable.

So hopefully, it means instead that people already hired will see rising wages and each crop of kids coming out of high school/college will easily be able to find jobs. The rest we will have to continue to subsidize as we always have.
or workforce participation rates rise. They fell sharply under Obama.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:51 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There are plenty of charities that would make very, very good use of $500/month to assist families that need help. Most schools do weekend food backpacks, if you need a suggestion. Additionally, if you have done sort of moral objection to charities, citizens are allowed to donate to the government. I believe it is through the Department of Treasury, but I will be glad to research exactly which Department if you can't find out which one. It would be great if you sincerely intend to do this.
We give a lot to charity and I volunteer. My point is, give the tax break to the ones who really need it, not the ones who don't. Does this make sense to you. It would have been great if republicans sincerely cared about the poor and middle class.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We give a lot to charity and I volunteer. My point is, give the tax break to the ones who really need it, not the ones who don't. Does this make sense to you. It would have been great if republicans sincerely cared about the poor and middle class.
Why don’t we just mandate wages so everyone be it doctor or guy who sits in toll booth gets the same? Wouldn’t that make sense to you? That way nobody gets anything they don’t need.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why don’t we just mandate wages so everyone be it doctor or guy who sits in toll booth gets the same? Wouldn’t that make sense to you? That way nobody gets anything they don’t need.
We aren't talking about pay. We are talking about taxes.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
We aren't talking about pay. We are talking about taxes.
Taxes on what, pay?

Taxing over who has too much and should be taxed more because they have too much?

Why not just tax down every person to an income of $4000 a month?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Taxes on what, pay?

Taxing over who has too much and should be taxed more because they have too much?

Why not just tax down every person to an income of $4000 a month?
This tax plan favors the wealthy because it's just another trickle down economy idea. But it just doesn't work. The wealthy are wealthy and will stay that way. We have to help the middle class. They need the biggest tax breaks.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
This tax plan favors the wealthy because it's just another trickle down economy idea. But it just doesn't work. The wealthy are wealthy and will stay that way. We have to help the middle class. They need the biggest tax breaks.
How exactly is a tax system that forces one person to pay $2 million and another to pay $10k for the same services fair to the one paying 20 times more for nothing extra?

Just because you feel entitled to other people’s money doesn’t mean it’s fair that you demand they pay 20 times more than you.

You’re demanding trickle down taxes so you get other people’s money.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:39 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
This is a Fox News calculator. Have to provide a more neutral one that take into account the cuts to Medicare and large increases in taxes for the middle class when they expire, unlike the corporate tax cuts.
Unless they are extended, as the Bush cuts were.

The likelihood of that happening is almost guaranteed.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:43 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Unless they are extended, as the Bush cuts were.

The likelihood of that happening is almost guaranteed.
I expect you're right. The Dems don't want to take the blame for one of the largest middle class tax increases in history should this expire. It's sad that a handful of Democratic senators wouldn't do something for the middle class and join the GOP in giving the middle class worker a tax break. If only we could have gotten 60 votes this would be permanent and we wouldn't have to be so concerned for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies