Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 12:15 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,585,658 times

Advertisements

Notice she was a sub. She probably knew what she said was out of line but didn't care because she'd be on to the next school pretty soon. It wasn't her place to say this--it's up to the parents. Even though Zeus isn't real either (somebody mentioned that in a post), these children aren't coming from a family tradition where the parents told them about Zeus and it would be emotionally hurtful to hear. No consideration for their feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 12:15 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,931,192 times
8 is kind of old to still believe in Santa, especially considering many kids today can just google whether he is real. That's something even I couldn't really do at 8, though computers and the internet existed, just not nearly as widespread or easy to use as today. Some schools now even provide iPads or laptops for kids to use at home, so they could even google it on their public school computers. If they were 5 and in kindergarten, I could justify the outrage more, but I don't see why it's such a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Any 8 year olds with older siblings likely at least have questions regarding whether Santa is real, if their older siblings haven't spoiled it already. Some kids can be crushed when they initially find out Santa isn't real, but they'll get over it. They'll be okay, and one day they'll look back and wonder how they ever even believed in the first place. Like me -

I know obviously that adults are more intelligent and logical than kids tend to be in this way, when it comes to believing in the reality of things like Santa and the Easter bunny, so it's not that kids are dumb, but I remember I used to wonder how Santa managed to make it all around the world to so many homes in one night. Everyone would say it was magic or some other BS so I kind of believed it but also remained skeptical. I think around a certain age, kids are just willfully ignorant. They know it kind of makes no sense but they'd rather believe. Some kids even pretend to believe because they think they'll stop getting gifts if they don't, or that Christmas will feel a lot different if their parents know they don't believe. I don't think people give even 8 year olds enough credit...

There are bigger issues in the world than one classroom of third graders (8 and 9 year olds) finding out that Santa isn't real. One of my friends told me the truth randomly one day, I can't remember how old I was but I remember I was skeptical anyway, and my mom wasn't thrilled about it at the time, but we're all fine now. I'm fine. It's not a big deal.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:23 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,911,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Even though Zeus isn't real either (somebody mentioned that in a post), these children aren't coming from a family tradition where the parents told them about Zeus
Can you please list the deities that the families of these children told them about

Thank you in advance.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:23 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,296,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Can you please list the deities that the families of these children told them about

Thank you in advance.
You're taking this hard.

I'm sure the kids will grow up and worship the government like most folks when all is said and done.

No worries.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:44 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,585,658 times
Quote:

Thank you in advance.
Why don't you list the kids that were told about Santa by their families and subsequently upset by the teacher? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-23-2017, 03:13 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,852,196 times
I think that is for parents to explain to their children, but I don't feel that the Teacher committed a cardinal sin either. No big deal. Besides even back in my day, by third grade we all knew.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:54 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,574,352 times
The OP assume's much in his thread ,we know it's not right to assume ,don't we.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:54 AM

2,828 posts, read 820,625 times
Quote:
Public schools teach that Zeus is a myth, why not teach that Santa and Jesus are as well?
It is the parents job to inform their children, not the public school system!

Old 12-23-2017, 06:55 AM

19,478 posts, read 12,113,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It was brought up because of the Elf in the Shelf the regular teacher had in the room. The teacher stated the truth. Why do people have a problem with a teacher speaking the truth?
It is a problem that this sub went rogue when it isn't even their classroom. The real teacher had the elf, traditional Christmas stuff, and this nobody came in and blasted the whole thing. The sub should be fired for insubordination, subs are babysitters who need to follow the Real teacher's protocol or just sit there shut it.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:36 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,744,870 times
By third grade, children should have learned enough science to recognize the whole Santa thing (along with other popular myths) is ridiculous. If not, these children were taught to disconnect logic from belief. This could be why America lags the rest of the world in STEM majors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies