Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 04:28 PM

8,230 posts, read 3,488,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Getting back to the thread, the possibility for shrink even with the auto payment system will be corrupted. It will not take long for some young person to figure out how to beat the coding system
I already know how to make the bar codes not work and it's something a lot of people have known for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 04:42 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And they expect a hell of a lot more from them than most retail stores do. Most people don't know that Costco regularly times the speed of their checkers (scans per minute) and if you repeatedly don't measure up you're either chasing carts and boxes or gone.
While they do check your speed, they won’t fire you for being slow. Worst that happens is you get taken off a register and have to assist. I’ve worked for them for over 13 years.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's rare to see an overweight Costco employee. They are in constant motion.
Very true. Most positions at Costco are extremely physical and you are constantly moving and lifting heavy stuff. It’s a great job to keep one fit.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:43 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
https://www.axios.com/walmart-planni...518925675.html

https://www.recode.net/2017/12/20/16...checkout-store

I think its a good thing if it keeps prices down. Amazing technology as you leave the store you are instantly charged for all the items.
Really? Over the years Walmart prices have crept up. Currently I find at least half the items I normally buy are cheaper at local grocery stores.

Also, Walmart pulls off a scam that most shoppers are not aware. There are many items on the shelves that have one price and when you get to the register the item is rung up at a higher price. When I first noticed I brought the price difference up to management. They apologized and refunded the difference in price. However, a week later the same item was still labeled with the lower price on the shelf. How many shoppers were ripped off? Now consider how many items could me marked the same way.
Walmart is now getting away with this while each item is rung up separately. Imagine how many items will be priced higher at checkout when your cart is scanned all at once.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:58 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Really? Over the years Walmart prices have crept up. Currently I find at least half the items I normally buy are cheaper at local grocery stores.

Also, Walmart pulls off a scam that most shoppers are not aware. There are many items on the shelves that have one price and when you get to the register the item is rung up at a higher price. When I first noticed I brought the price difference up to management. They apologized and refunded the difference in price. However, a week later the same item was still labeled with the lower price on the shelf. How many shoppers were ripped off? Now consider how many items could me marked the same way.
Walmart is now getting away with this while each item is rung up separately. Imagine how many items will be priced higher at checkout when your cart is scanned all at once.
Yeup. I went to buy a vacuum clear they had advertised in their flyer, and the item even had the discounted price below it and when they rang it up it was far higher. I got a manager and when I showed it to her she said the number was a different vac, so I showed her the price on the shelf and she simply took it down and said it should not have been there and told me I would not get the discounted price, I told her where she could shove her store and left. I did report them to the BBB, but we know that is useless.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
While they do check your speed, they won’t fire you for being slow. Worst that happens is you get taken off a register and have to assist. I’ve worked for them for over 13 years.
Does't that depend on the store manager and partially how long you've been there?

Old 12-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Does't that depend on the store manager and partially how long you've been there?
Nope.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:36 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,748,990 times
Screw that idea. Self serve lanes are horrible. Computers don't understand you don't want to bag an item.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:59 PM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
In one town where I own investment property they are the only supermarket in town. I think their produce and meat dept. are priced high. Other things it depends. You either go there or to the next town 15 miles away that has a local grocer with much higher prices
Quote:
I have never seen that at Walmart and I watch every item going through. Sounds more like incompetence to me at that store.
Quote:
I went into a Kroger owned store the other day. They have weekly specials so the prices are always changing. Anyways they have this popcorn I like. It was half price on sale but the sale ended the previous day. I found an end stack with the old price still on it. I took a pic of it and grabbed a couple bags. When it got rung up at the new price I got them to give me the old price. It can go both ways.

Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is usually the best one. To say Walmart is trying to cheat you on your package of cheezy poofs is probably not true. They mispriced it and never bothered to correct it even after you complained. Occam's razor. Lazy staff.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:14 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Costco is a good example. Higher wages people care more and are more productive.

I enjoyed making deliveries to Costco, employees were nicer worked faster and you got in and out on time.
Walmart, Sam's most times a horror show, hated what they were doing complained and worked slower and did not care.
I absolutely love Costco. We go there twice a month for paper products. You can't get these low prices at your local grocery store. Plus the employees are so nice and helpful. And the cashiers get you out fast. They are very efficient. If you respect and pay your employees a decent wage they will return the favor. Someone who enjoys their job will only bring people back. I won't go to Walmart anymore because the cashiers were so rude. And that was more than one store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies