Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 03:14 PM

18,674 posts, read 7,546,354 times

Advertisements

Congress must pass something to fund the government by Friday, Dec. 22, or the government runs out of money.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has already sent a message to all House Democrats, telling them to vote NO on whatever budget or CR the Republicans come up with. If/when the bill fails, she plans to then blame Republicans for the resulting shutdown, as Democrats have several times already.

Her excuse is that since Republicans have a numerical majority in the House, they should be able to pass whatever they want with no Democrat votes.

It's kind of ironic. When Republicans all vote the same way, she complains that they are marching in lockstep, not thinking for themselves, just blindly obeying the orders of some mysterious commanders or donors or whoever this week's bogeyman is.

But when some Republicans vote one way and others vote the other way, Democrats like Pelosi immediately complain that republicans "are in chaos", evidently not under sufficient control or something.

Orwell referred to this presto-changeo changing of mind, as "doublethink" in his novel 1984. He may have gotten the date off by a little, but his description is right on.

The idea that if 5% of Republicans vote No, while 100% of Democrats vote No on the same bill, therefore it's Republicans' fault the bill failed, is one of the sillier things the Democrats come up with.

Which way will it be this time? Are the Republicans out of control, in chaos? Or are they marching in sinister lockstep, as dictated by some malevolent powers-that-be? The Democrats will announce one of these conclusions, as regularly as a sunrise.

In any case, it will be the Republicans' fault, no matter what happens, and despite the fact that Democrats are the ones voting 100% to make the bill fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 03:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,540,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Congress must pass something to fund the government by Friday, Dec. 22, or the government runs out of money.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has already sent a message to all House Democrats, telling them to vote NO on whatever budget or CR the Republicans come up with. If/when the bill fails, she plans to then blame Republicans for the resulting shutdown, as Democrats have several times already.

Her excuse is that since Republicans have a numerical majority in the House, they should be able to pass whatever they want with no Democrat votes.

It's kind of ironic. When Republicans all vote the same way, she complains that they are marching in lockstep, not thinking for themselves, just blindly obeying the orders of some mysterious commanders or donors or whoever this week's bogeyman is.

But when some Republicans vote one way and others vote the other way, Democrats like Pelosi immediately complain that republicans "are in chaos", evidently not under sufficient control or something.

The idea that if 5% of Republicans vote No, while 100% of Democrats vote No on the same bill, therefore it's Republicans' fault the bill failed, is one of the sillier things the Democrats come up with.

Which way will it be this time? Are the Republicans out of control, in chaos? Or are they marching in sinister lockstep, as dictated by some malevolent powers-that-be? The Democrats will announce one of these conclusions, as regularly as a sunrise.

In any case, it will be the Republicans' fault, no matter what happens, and despite the fact that Democrats are the ones voting 100% to make the bill fail.
I do not support this - but that strategy didn't exactly fail for the GOP....

Old 12-21-2017, 03:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,809,642 times
Ironic that Democrats blamed Republicans for when THEY could not pass a budget and now want to blame Republicans when the other side could not pass a budget... do liberals feel ANY liability at all with their dealings?

Old 12-21-2017, 03:19 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,809,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Did not fail? You mean with the elections? Because in the leftist media, it was the GOP's fault when democrats couldn't pass a budget... and the world ate it up... The strategy did fail but the world didn't care... who knows how it goes next time... but most government employees are liberal by nature... shooting themselves in the foot the democrats are, methinks but my predictions haven't panned out on many things...

Old 12-21-2017, 03:21 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I supported shutting it down then and will again. Are the two parties incredibly hypocritical here? Absolutely. I do not understand how anyone can support either.

That's why I support shutting it down. It's not going to happen though.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:21 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,044,063 times
The Republicans own the government right now. They should be able to pass anything they want. No reason the Democrats should help them pass a budget they disagree with.

Time for the GOP to suck it up and show they can govern. If they can't, it's on them, not the Democrats. They hold all the power.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:22 PM

5,648 posts, read 5,070,404 times
Over DACA? So the left is willing to shut down the government fighting for non-citizens who have no rights given that they’re criminals by their very presence in this country?

Old 12-21-2017, 03:23 PM

17,217 posts, read 12,105,930 times
Trump wants it shut down anyway, so they are just working with him?

Old 12-21-2017, 03:25 PM

39,810 posts, read 26,408,051 times
How many votes are required to pass the CR and keep the government functioning? I thought it was a simple majority. Last time the Republican House and Senate passed a CR. Obama killed it-and the media told the public time after time that it was the GOPs fault. Other than entertainment value, I'm not sure the Democrats are relevant anymore.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:26 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,316,264 times
I suspect they learned this from watching how the Republicans did things.

However....where did you get the idea that this was going to occur? Here is a article from today saying the EXACT opposite of what the OP is saying....

Pelosi on delaying DACA fix: January is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies