Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 06:01 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Predictable. Trump is putting off the signing of the new tax bill until next year so that the damage it does to the majority of folks isn't seen until after the midterms.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...echnical-issue

The fact that they are doing this should tell you something about this bill. Its bad.
I don't know where you got that from, but word is he may sign it today, 12/22/17.

Only the Democrats think cutting taxes is a bad thing. Take note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 06:02 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,059,788 times
Dang! There is much to like about your 'Econ 101' post. Mostly though, the fact that you used the word debt shows that you understand the difference between the yearly federal deficit, or surplus as it might was during Speaker Gingrich's term, and national debt. It simply says you actually understand how things work. Certainly more than 9/10 of the liberal progressive posters.

100% correct that time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Makes since for him to do this. The tax cuts still go into effect but it gives them time to change the "paygo" law to prevent cuts to social security and medicare should they desire to do that. Trump is doing this to benefit people on social security and medicare.

It would be nice if they could get some spending cuts to complement this tax cut but Trump campaigned on not caring that much about the national debt. He stated as much numerous times. He is not a fiscal conservative.

Of course like I've mentioned before you can't ever fully pay off the debt when you have a debt based currency operated by central banks, rather than an asset based currency issued direct from the treasury interest free. Debt is money. Money is debt. Create more debt money than is needed to keep the economy stable and you'll just get inflation. I question how much harm increasing the debt 1.5 trillion over 10 years will do if there's a corresponding increase in inflation. I guess time will tell.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump has no idea what's in this bill. He just wants to get it passed so he can claim a victory. This bill is more unpopular with the country than the ACA was. Dems got voted out because of this. I see the same thing happening with republicans in the midterms.
Please. He knows what's in it.

Unlike Nancy Pelosi and every Democrat who signed the ACA and had no idea what was in it. "We must pass this bill so we can find out what's in it." — Nancy Pelosi

Old 12-22-2017, 06:05 AM

10 trillion in eight years is running up the national debt. 1.5 trillion over a ten year period is relatively trivial. But, as Stockwiz said in post #13, time will tell. #13 is a very knowledgeable post, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Unpopular? I should say.

It is so unpopular Republicans are planning a huge an ad campaign to convince people that running up the national debt is good deal.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:09 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Why is the left worried about paygo now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Unpopular? I should say.

It is so unpopular Republicans are planning a huge an ad campaign to convince people that running up the national debt is good deal.
This bill will not "run up the national debt."

Where were you when Obama doubled the national debt? Were you howling like you are now over the booming economy and putting more money in people's pockets?

Actually, the national debt has been decreasing under this Administration.

A growing economy does not increase the national debt. For the first time in over eight years, we are seeing the GDP break 3% and growing. The economic news is all good.

57,215 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
sounds like trump has no plans for a second term , i guess he will have plenty of money to spend post 2020 with his new tax " great deal "
Congress and Trump have no idea what to do next, they have used up all their collateral. Look at the budget resolution they pushed into next month, we are in serious trouble. Rotting infrastructure, education system, Opioid crisis shortening life expectancy and this was the problem they needed to address. This will only increase the income disparity, not a healthy situation for the country.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:15 AM

57,215 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This bill will not "run up the national debt."

Where were you when Obama doubled the national debt? Were you howling like you are now over the booming economy and putting more money in people's pockets?

Actually, the national debt has been decreasing under this Administration.

A growing economy does not increase the national debt. For the first time in over eight years, we are seeing the GDP break 3% and growing. The economic news is all good.
Facts don't support your conjecture, the debt is steadily increasing, $700B military spending, $81B for disaster aid, where are the cuts??

The economy has been growing for the last several years it didn't just begin in 2017, you love pointing to the debt increases under Obama but ignore the fact that we were in a historic recession that began in 2008. What did you expect, besides congress controls the spending not Obama.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:18 AM

Such a Oh, the sky is going to fall. Wolf, wolf, wolf! post. The sunset will never, ever happen. The rest, pure bunk.

I see you live in SALT cap country. Could this be the driver to your mood? We all have choices to make in life, what to deny in the way of what we excuse, turn a blind eye, choose to be willfully ignorant of out of control State and Local Government is one of those choices.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Namaste if you happen to be one of our South Asian citizens. As-salāmu ʿalaykum if you are Muslim. I am sure I missed an important recent immigrant, but if you are productive, contribute to the positive direction of the country, assimilate, then this Christian says welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I highly doubt this is true. The people he caters to aren't the brightest bulbs. So many people are willfully ignorant in this country. Education not only gives you more choices, but it helps you reason better and make good decisions. Most people will just see their taxes go down, and either won't realize this all goes away within ten years, or they won't care. They can't see beyond the end of their nose. I never used to be this cynical, but I am now. By the time they realize they've been screwed, the sleight of hand will be to blame illegals, or Muslims, or the poor, or whoever...

Old 12-22-2017, 06:20 AM

The economy has been just above stall speed for the last several years. Well documented in the financial press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Facts don't support your conjecture, the debt is steadily increasing, $700B military spending, $81B for disaster aid, where are the cuts??

The economy has been growing for the last several years it didn't just begin in 2017, you love pointing to the debt increases under Obama but ignore the fact that we were in a historic recession that began in 2008. What did you expect, besides congress controls the spending not Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies