Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 06:24 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
The economy has been just above stall speed for the last several years. Well documented in the financial press.
The economy has been underperforming but no where near the problem they claim. Low unemployment, expanding economy, low interest rates and record corporate profits and now we needed this, why? Wait until we see next months budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
The SALT doesn't affect me, at least not directly. Indirectly, I'm sure my rent will go up as a result. I'd never say that California doesn't have its issues, but I've lived here for 54 years and have no intention of leaving any time soon.

Whether someone says "happy holidays" or "Merry Christmas", the sentiment is the same. I don't hang my hat on semantics like that.

However, I thank you for not just assuming that I'm white (which I am). Productive? Considering that I've only taken time off voluntarily to give birth to my children, I'd say that yes, I'm productive. I've been lucky, though. My health is still good and I haven't been in any accidents that would prevent me from working.

This tax cut is not a boon, especially for future generations. I shudder to think how this will affect my grandson in 20-25 years. I'm sure it won't be pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Such a Oh, the sky is going to fall. Wolf, wolf, wolf! post. The sunset will never, ever happen. The rest, pure bunk.

I see you live in SALT cap country. Could this be the driver to your mood? We all have choices to make in life, what to deny in the way of what we excuse, turn a blind eye, choose to be willfully ignorant of out of control State and Local Government is one of those choices.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Namaste if you happen to be one of our South Asian citizens. As-salāmu ʿalaykum if you are Muslim. I am sure I missed an important recent immigrant, but if you are productive, contribute to the positive direction of the country, assimilate, then this Christian says welcome.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:46 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times
CR's (Continuing Resolutions) have become THE way of doing business and running the Government in Washington D.C. - it's inefficient, it costs time & money and it needs to change.

Unfortunately the CongressCritters really don't care about that - they care only about themselves.

Welcome to CR Hell - It looks like a crisis averted. But inside government, a continuing resolution creates a wasteful netherworld all its own. And we’re 21 days into the latest one. A POLITICO investigation | 10/21/15

In official terms, they passed a continuing resolution, and it felt like a crisis averted.

It wasn’t. In the more than 100 federal offices, agencies and departments that actually use the money, the crisis was only beginning. With a real spending deal for fiscal year 2016 still uncertain, they started to run a drill that has become depressingly familiar. Under the continuing resolution, multi-year projects like constructing new Coast Guard ships and launching weather satellites faced new delays. Hiring departments closed. Budget officials began to tally losses as their typically powerful purchasing power dwindled. For pretty much the rest of this year, and perhaps 2016, too, the U.S. government will effectively be in a state of suspended animation.

Call it CR hell. We’ve been living in it for 21 days and counting.
With Congress constantly paralyzed by political brinksmanship, governing by CR has been the norm, rather than the exception. In fact, 58 percent of President Barack Obama’s days in the White House have required a continuing resolution to fund at least one agency. And every fiscal year Obama has been in office has begun under a CR covering his entire government.

Under the rules of a CR, federal agencies can’t recruit or hire new staff; grants to states and local agencies are delayed. New programs can’t begin. And if this all sounds heartening to the “less government is better” crowd, there are special penalties for them as well. Millions of taxpayer dollars get wasted from the accumulated inefficiencies; thousands of paid work hours are squandered planning for budget scenarios that don’t end up happening. And dead-weight programs that departments want to cut—yes, this really happens in government—can’t be cut. Under a CR, you could literally go to jail for saving taxpayer money.

There’s a bigger problem here, of course. The CR itself is just a symptom: It has become far easier to let a bad status quo persist for the nation—even a terrible status quo—than to do the detailed and politically costly work of striking a new bargain. To those involved in the big political battles over spending, it’s not necessarily a priority to fix. CongressCritters are ONLY interested in Political Optics - they would rather be 'do nothings' than rock the boat. It didn't start with President Trump, Bush & Obama had the same problems.

On the other hand - The House and Senate told Mr Trump that they wouldn't do the waiver for the Pay-Go and we don't know exactly what HE told them -- But he did get the waiver and he got the votes to avoid the Shutdown.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:48 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Government shut downs don't work out well for either party, especially right before Christmas.

DNC knows nor should know who will get the blame after using each of the GOP lead shutdowns as a club to beat republicans over the head.

Delaying the tax bill two weeks wasn't going to change anything and at this point is just sour grapes. The thing is done and we all must bear it as best we can.

More to the point is we are now going into a new year and the United States government still does *NOT* have a budget. As the Hill article correctly points out when Congress returns in January it is going to be one long, nasty and bitter fight to get a budget deal done, but it must happen sooner or later.

Meanwhile as of January less money will begin rolling into government coffers thanks to this tax bill. That will only continue as more and more provisions become active and tax season gets into high gear. In short ways need to be found to pay for that dog of a "tax reform" before the credit markets get spooked.
Except-the last of the shutdowns was due to the DEMOCRATS. The Republican-led house passed several continuing resolutions that would have funded government operations. The Democrat-led senate refused to pass them.

Sadly, the liars of the MSM managed to convince low-information viewers that it was the GOP that was responsible.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
The fact that the left is in a complete spastic colon over it makes me believe that it is not a bad law. I have to assume this because they were over the moon in love with the ACA which was absolutely horrendous. That must mean things they hate are actually good.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:51 AM

91 posts, read 49,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Predictable. Trump is putting off the signing of the new tax bill until next year so that the damage it does to the majority of folks isn't seen until after the midterms.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...echnical-issue

The fact that they are doing this should tell you something about this bill. Its bad.
So you want "cuts" to be triggered now?

Also, please define "cuts" as you understand them.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:54 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factcheckcd View Post
So you want "cuts" to be triggered now?

Also, please define "cuts" as you understand them.
I want cuts in defense spending, foreign aid, department of energy, EPA, well we could do an across the board cut by say 15%. Considering the absolute waste that happens everyday that shouldn't be too hard to manage.
The exception would be SS and medicare. We need to always care for our elderly.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:54 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Sign it now, sign it later, never sign it. It won't matter.
Exactly! You could tax the rich like they did back in the 1950's at 90%, and be assured, their tax consultants and tax attorney's will make sure they don't pay a dime in taxes!

My partner, from back in the 70's, quite wealthy, used to brag: I never pay taxes!

Warren Buffet's secretary pays more taxes than her boss!

Unless they close the loopholes, the rich will get richer faster than ever!

And so will President/Salesman Tramp! In Spanish, the letter a has a Ah! sound!

Old 12-22-2017, 06:56 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
This is a bit of a problem with Trump. He was adamant that it had to be signed by the end of the year. Now he is changing his mind?

Really -- what is wrong with this man.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:58 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Another fake news thread by the haters.

(CNN) President Donald Trump will sign the Republican tax cut bill Friday morning before departing for his Christmas break in Florida.

Trump to sign tax bill before leaving for Mar-a-Lago - CNNPolitics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies