Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 01:08 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
And yet I think it sounds great. Tons better than sitting in an apt or suburb home watching TV or playing video games.

Then there is the hunting, fishing, camping, sitting around a big fire at night, stargazing, watching for falling stars, having a fun time looking for constellations with the kids and grandkids. etc.
We aren't all the same. I like living in the downtown of a big city and all that I have access to

Old 12-23-2017, 01:13 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We aren't all the same. I like living in the downtown of a big city and all that I have access to

We are all indeed different. I live 5 mins from the downtown center of Dallas, after decades in a town of 300. While I enjoy it here for various reasons, both my wife and I have decided to retire back to the country when that time comes. Aside from way better restaurant selections, the city doesn't really have that much to offer in quality of life over the country.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
NC will turn Blue in a few more years!

Stephen Foster even wrote about it 150 years ago!

"We are coming ...coming, the Union to restore"

"We are coming Father Abraham, 300,000 more!" (and that's just Charlotte )

All of those big Blue cities will become bigger and bluer and the outer suburbs will flip from red to blue.

The gerrymandering problem will be fixed and the super majority the Republicans now enjoy, will begin to fade.

From the ashes of the old red Republican phoenix a nice, new blue Democratic one will arise!

Old 12-23-2017, 01:25 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Where do you get that stat about Gen Z? Seems made up, especially considering they aren't old enough to vote yet for the most part
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleys.../#4d8a6a707878

https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/e...servative-wwii

Is 'Generation Z' the most conservative since WW2?* | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-23-2017, 01:28 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
I've seen others post those articles and I don't buy it. Let's wait 10 years when most of them are voting age and revisit the topic

Old 12-23-2017, 01:37 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
Democrats should be very worried that Gen Z is very conservative. It overrides any gains they make in minorities.
Except that by 2020 more than half of Gen Z will be non-white. Given how diverse they are it's really hard to imagine them as reliable republican voters.

Why Generation Z is not more conservative - After The Millennials

Goldman Sachs chart of the generations and Gen-Z - Business Insider

Old 12-23-2017, 02:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
And yet I think it sounds great. Tons better than sitting in an apt or suburb home watching TV or playing video games.

Then there is the hunting, fishing, camping, sitting around a big fire at night, stargazing, watching for falling stars, having a fun time looking for constellations with the kids and grandkids. etc.
I like a mix. I like to live in a rural area about 30 miles or so from the nearest real town, and about 100 miles from the nearest big city.

I enjoy the rural area where I'm living now, but - it's closer than I'd like to a big city. Still, it takes a ferry to get to that big city, so that helps limit the city influence. But the sky isn't nearly as dark at night as I wish it was.

I have a garden and chickens, I'd hate to live without them.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:24 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:

I live in the city. When I want quiet, I go camping or hiking or head up to the family vacation house up north. It's possible to have both.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:48 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I live in the city. When I want quiet, I go camping or hiking or head up to the family vacation house up north. It's possible to have both.

Except that rural living provides this every day, and not once a month. I will willingly trade having everyday quiet and the stars and all the rest and do the big city once a month, rather than the quiet outdoor experience once a month, which is about how much I get to the country now. We don't eat out every day, so the city benefit to us is about once a week.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:49 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Except that rural living provides this every day, and not once a month. I will willingly trade having everyday quiet and the stars and all the rest and do the big city once a month, rather than the quiet outdoor experience once a month, which is about how much I get to the country now. We don't eat out every day, so the city benefit to us is about once a week.
And I get that benefit every day living in the city. See how that works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies