Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 10:53 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is all about being partisan. St. Louis and Baltimore have high murder rates. And yes, those cities are run by Democrats. However, Madison,WI is a very liberal, Democratic college city. It has a low murder rate. Ann Arbor, Michigan is a 45 minute drive from downtown Detroit. Ann Arbor is very liberal too. It's home to University of Michigan. Very low murder rate. 0.8 murders per 100,000. Some years Ann Arbor had ZERO murders. Austin,Texas, a liberal city, known for "keep Austin weird". 947,890 people live in Austin. Number of murders in Austin in 2016? 39. Austin has been run by Democrats for while, and it has a low murder rate.

Austin has a very small Black American Community, per capita. Unlike the Democrat killing fields, like Balitmore, Chicago, and St. Louis, or New Orleans. discussed in the original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 10:53 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Your comparison is highly flawed. Greater St Louis has like 10 times as many people as Greater Lincoln and a much more diversified economy. That has negative side effects, as capitalism though good at creating wealth, is bad at distribution of it
Wasn't St. Louis (MO) a slave state?
"The Confederacy nonetheless recognized it on October 30, 1861."
MO. also has a vast history of corruption - mixed with (excuse the shortcut) "Bible Thumping". In short, it doesn't seem like a "all for one, one for all" type of a state.

This stuff is too complex for internet forum discussions. Usually answers can be found by reading history and/or even a bunch of wikipedia articles.

Religion seems to play a large part as 80% of MO. ID with a religion (mostly - by far - Christians). Our state in New England is only 65 ID with religion and much more diverse (more jews buddhists, etc.)....

I think the key words here are segregation...along with poverty. In many of the TV Shows, the Amish and the Mormons who leave their churches go to MO. - but, for some reason, I don't think they integrate with the black folks (or hardly anyone, for that matter, other than their ex-pats).

Wikipedia notes that the first interstate was built in MO and this allowed folks with $$ to immediately start building and living in the burbs.....

So in some ways it's typically American. On the face, it's diverse.....but look closer and it's really a bunch of communities and religions with their own (or none at all in the case of faceless burbs) agendas.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:01 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Almost no matter how you slice these issues - it comes down to poverty, lack of education and opportunity and the typical American matters of racism, history, exclusion, inequality, etc.

Remember, the violent crime rate has - in general - fallen sharply over the past 20+ years. There is a slight upward trend probably caused by more inequality and hopelessness (my guess is fallout from the Great Recession, etc.), but I think we will see it continue to come down.

Violent Crime is also very regional. It seems that warm places have more violence.....makes some sense to me and somewhat true in the rest of the world. I'm 3X as safe living in MA. than if I lived in MO.

New England and the populated Midwest States seem to do the best in this regard.....in a general sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Similar sized cities: St. Louis has 203 homicides so far this year while Lincoln, Nebraska has had zero homicides-1murder.jpg  

Old 12-23-2017, 11:01 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You're more conservative than I assumed, by past postings.
I'm not trying to be conservative or liberal. I'm just talking about what I've been through and what I know.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:03 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Austin has a very small Black American Community, per capita. Unlike the Democrat killing fields, like Balitmore, Chicago, and St. Louis, or New Orleans. discussed in the original post.
Missouri City, Texas has a very large Black community. Low murder rate and a low violent crime rate over all. High rate of BOTH parents in the home. High rate of people with college educations and a middle class standard of living.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:20 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
There's universities in all cities.

What are you talking about?
There are cities that wouldn't exist if they didn't have a college or university in them. Those are often the safest cities in the United States. Lincoln exists both because of the government and because of colleges. Wow, two different things that Republicans hate - - and yet it is such a safe city!

Old 12-23-2017, 11:26 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
It's colder in Lincoln, Nebraska than it is in St. Louis and colder weather has been shown to correlate with less violent crime.

How does cold weather affect crime rates?

Also the percentage of households living below the Federal poverty line in Lincoln is 15% vs. 24.3% in Saint Louis (source: U.S. Census bureau 2016). Poverty has also been shown to correlate with more violent crime. One study estimated that a 1% increase in the poverty rate correlates with a 23% increase in crime (https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstrea...ncimerates.pdf) The DOJ has found that people living in poverty are more than twice as likely to be victims of crime. https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5137

I'm guessing that those two differences between Lincoln and Saint Louis alone probably account for a sizable portion of the differences in crime rates between the two cities, although I'm sure there are others that also factor in.

So, no, it is not "bizarre" for different cities to have different crime rates at all.

Last edited by RosieSD; 12-23-2017 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 12:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
There are cities that wouldn't exist if they didn't have a college or university in them. Those are often the safest cities in the United States. Lincoln exists both because of the government and because of colleges. Wow, two different things that Republicans hate - - and yet it is such a safe city!
This is the most insane thing I've ever heard in my life. And I have a masters in CJ.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
It's colder in Lincoln, Nebraska than it is in St. Louis and colder weather has been shown to correlate with less violent crime.

How does cold weather affect crime rates?

Also the percentage of households living below the Federal poverty line in Lincoln is 15% vs. 24.3% in Saint Louis (source: U.S. Census bureau 2016). Poverty has also been shown to correlate with more violent crime. One study estimated that a 1% increase in the poverty rate correlates with a 23% increase in crime (https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstrea...ncimerates.pdf) The DOJ has found that people living in poverty are more than twice as likely to be victims of crime. https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5137

I'm guessing that those two differences between Lincoln and Saint Louis alone probably account for a sizable portion of the differences in crime rates between the two cities, although I'm sure there are others that also factor in.

So, no, it is not "bizarre" for different cities to have different crime rates at all.
San Diego and El Paso are really safe big cities with plenty of warmth.

Cleveland and Buffalo get socked with cold/snow but have horrible crime rates.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:19 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This is the most insane thing I've ever heard in my life. And I have a masters in CJ.
Well, you shouldn't have received it from Phoenix University. People who go to real universities know that what I've said is true. Should have gone to one of these schools - - look how many are in blue states!

https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest...towns-america/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies