Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 07:30 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You are confusing being respected and being liked. They are two separate things. Those countries may not like Trump but they respect him.
He is respected in the same way an as old man 'that has filled his Depends and you are afraid he might fling it on you' is respected. In a disgusting sort of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 07:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Not surprising other nations prefer an America Last President over a America First one.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:32 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Why would we care who the Canadians prefer? The Canadians didn't consult with us when they elected Trudeau nor do they consult with us as to what their national priorities or policies are.

cause its a worthless country that contributes almost nothing to the world and has an inferiority complex.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:36 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I spent my summers in Europe.

Back then, it was common practice for Canadian tourists to have Canadian flag patches on their backpacks so that they would not be mistaken for Americans. Nevertheless, Americans took a lot of pride in being from the USA. I think Americans were a lot more patriotic back then, but the world interpreted this as arrogance. Some of it was jealousy on their part, but we were probably a little more arrogant as well. But you know what the best part about being “arrogant” was? The best part was that you didn’t give a rats a$$ what anyone else thought.

And you know what, America was the strongest country in every way, and we were certainly more united, in spite of the fact that nobody liked us. We were certainly much better off than we have been since we started caring about what other countries thought of us.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:37 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
We're feeding Ethiopia and Kenya again. To the tune of $458 million in FY17:
https://www.usaid.gov/news-informati...ethiopia-kenya

Just one example. Were either of those countries on the NYT list? Tell me again what selfish a$$holes Americans are.
I suppose you could argue that countries that owe money to the USA don't like Trump because he's cutting off the money. What is the explanation for the below countries disliking Trump?

Does this help - note, none of these countries prefer Trump:

"U.S. Trade Deficit by Country: Current Statistics and Issues"

Some nations export a lot without importing much. But the top five trading partners also have the largest deficits.

China - $579 billion traded with a $347 billion deficit.
Canada - $545 billion traded with a $11 billion deficit.
Mexico - $525 billion traded with a $63 billion deficit.
Japan - $196 billion traded with a $69 billion deficit.
Germany - $164 billion traded with a $65 billion deficit."

https://www.thebalance.com/trade-def...county-3306264

Old 12-25-2017, 07:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I suppose you could argue that countries that owe money to the USA don't like Trump because he's cutting off the money. What is the explanation for the below countries disliking Trump?

Does this help - note, none of these countries prefer Trump:

"U.S. Trade Deficit by Country: Current Statistics and Issues"

Some nations export a lot without importing much. But the top five trading partners also have the largest deficits.

China - $579 billion traded with a $347 billion deficit.
Canada - $545 billion traded with a $11 billion deficit.
Mexico - $525 billion traded with a $63 billion deficit.
Japan - $196 billion traded with a $69 billion deficit.
Germany - $164 billion traded with a $65 billion deficit."

https://www.thebalance.com/trade-def...county-3306264
Trade deficits do not matter.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Trade deficits do not matter.
Sure. Then we can exclude money as the reason that only two of the countries polled prefer Trump to Obama.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:47 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Stop it. Conservatives NEVER thought it was a respectable paper at any time in history. You guys hate the free press.
For years, every one of my days was started with a cup of coffee and The NY Times. The editorials were always liberal, but the news was just that. The news. When I read it, I never got the feeling that the writers were trying to manipulate the stories in favor of a liberal agenda.

That was a long time ago. It is a different paper now.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:01 PM

144 posts, read 94,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I spent my summers in Europe.

And you know what, America was the strongest country in every way, and we were certainly more united, in spite of the fact that nobody liked us. We were certainly much better off than we have been since we started caring about what other countries thought of us.
Hey, can you post a picture of you in the 80's? When I grew up (more 70s and 80's) my parents traveled the world, sometimes with us kids, and taught us to never be the Ugly Americans. For example, when people didn't understand English, just speak English slower and LOUDER. I never understood how people could act that way when visiting other people's homes, but you seem to have been the ugly American, so it would be really cool to see what you looked like back then.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-fan View Post
Hey, can you post a picture of you in the 80's? When I grew up (more 70s and 80's) my parents traveled the world, sometimes with us kids, and taught us to never be the Ugly Americans. For example, when people didn't understand English, just speak English slower and LOUDER. I never understood how people could act that way when visiting other people's homes, but you seem to have been the ugly American, so it would be really cool to see what you looked like back then.
Back in the seventies, most of Europe was over the top amused that the wife of the Prime Minister of Canada (Pierre Trudeau) was sleeping with Mick Jagger. That made Canadians cool - a cool Prime Minister and his adulterous wife. Belly laughs all round. People from the USA did sew Canadian flags onto their backpacks, but they were completely ignorant of what that actually meant.

Today, with Trudeau junior in office, it's again safe to sew those Canadian flags into every shirt collar and backpack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies