Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 12:26 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
After this explanation, I can see where you might have felt as though I meant it to be a barb thrown at you. In that context, it wasn’t clear that I was only meaning to throw in a blast from the past that I thought was funny. My apologies.
Thanks for the explanation and the rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 07:25 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Christmas is the most important holiday for Christians and Hanukkah is one of the least important for Jews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Chanukkah is a very minor holiday. Jews put much more weight on Sukkot and on Passover. Kids who go to Hebrew school or Yeshiva do not take off time in December. They take a week break in January related to no holidays.Year.
We can celebrate Christmas by eating Chinese food. We did.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:35 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, if you want to get technical about it, that would be Easter.
Indeed:

The day of death better than the day of birth. --Ecclesiastes 7

Jesus commanded the commemoration of the day of His death, not His birth. Scripture draws a map to the day of the year of His death (as well as the ancients could), and says nothing specific about the day of His birth.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:43 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
When I'm ringing bells for the Salvation Army, I'll say "Merry Christmas" or "Feliz Navidad," or "Happy Divali," or anything else if the days fall along the bell-ringing schedule.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Putting WAY too much thought into things that don't really matter, for 100 Alex.
100 points for such a succunct description of the internet in general and city-data forums in particular.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:52 PM

10 posts, read 6,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This confuses me and sometimes I'm easily confused. Unless you live in a city or part of the country with a high Jewish population why would you not wish everyone a Merry or Happy Christmas? I've known many people who aren't Christians including people of the Jewish faith who have never been offended by anyone wishing them a Merry Christmas. When you say Happy Holidays, what holidays are you referring to? If you know someone is Jewish then for goodness sake, wish them a Happy Hanuka. Otherwise, what is the point and why would anyone be offended?

Whenever I've wished anyone Happy Holidays, it's nothing more than a way to combine Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Years in one Holiday season. After all, those holidays are being celebrated within a short period of time. It has nothing to do with being any religion or not trying to offend someone.
When we are past Thanksgiving and close to Christmas, then I wish everyone a Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays.
Because.... not... everyone.... celebrates Christmas???

The US is a diverse country with no official religion, so comparing the US to a Muslim country is a moot point.

There ARE other religions in the world, and even in your city, than Christianity, you know. And Happy Holidays encompasses the three major ones (Christmas, Hanukkah, AND New Year's), so why wouldn't you just say Happy Holidays?

But hey, I'm just a crazy person over here trying pay respects to people different than myself, so what do I know?

Old 12-27-2017, 06:05 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I say “Merry Christmas” to everyone who I know celebrates Christmas, and “happy holidays” to those I don’t know. This is because I genuinely want people to enjoy their holidays. To be honest, we’re only talking about Hanukkah. Very few people actually celebrate Kwanzaa, and the majority of those who do ALSO celebrate Christmas. Is it that upsetting that someone may think you celebrate Hanukkah? Is it that upsetting that someone might put Hanukkah on equal footing with Christmas? Why is it such a big deal?
I say "Merry Christmas" to most, but occasionally I say "Happy Holidays". I don't have any special formula that I used to determine how I express good will toward others... it just happens.

"Merry Christmas" is special to me because I am a Christian and that is how I celebrate Christmas. But at no time have I been offended by someone wishing me "Happy Holidays". If someone wishes me "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Hanukkah", I assume that they wish me well in a way that is special to them and I am honored to accept that expression of good will. Vice versa when I wish someone "Merry Christmas".

It just seems so simple.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:25 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Absolutely. Easter is a pretty big deal for the churchgoing crowd. Which is why I don't understand the focus on demanding that everyone say Merry Christmas.
You really DON'T understand. No one anywhere has ever demanded that that everyone say Merry Christmas.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:02 AM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Absolutely. Easter is a pretty big deal for the churchgoing crowd. Which is why I don't understand the focus on demanding that everyone say Merry Christmas.

I'm beginning to wonder if some of the most militant evangelicals even attend church.
You really DON'T understand. No one anywhere has ever demanded that that everyone say Merry Christmas.
Some people need,literally,to get a life. Saying "Merry Christmas" or thanking someone for saying it is not eating a communion wafer.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:59 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I don't care that not everyone in the US is Christian.

The majority self-identify as Christian, and at least 99% were Christian at the time this country was founded.

Christian-identified Americans.

The majority.

Who shouldn't have to cater to a whining minority.

Saying "Merry Christmas" to people is hardly authoritarian.

Did I say it was?

All I said is what I do -- say "Merry Christmas" to people.
SOMEBODY is doing a lot of whining, but it might not be who you imagine it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies