Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 11:26 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,545,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I read the original post and the poster said the waitress just set a bowl of water down. Nothing about "being in it's face". Whatever. This is just another way people twist stuff around. You are right a normal dog would NEVER react like that as a first response. Even one inclined to aggression would growl first as you said. A scared and less socialized one wouldn't even do that first IMO. If there was room it would start backing up. If not it would have moved over to the side, even under the table. I have had two dogs afraid of children and that is their first reaction when a little kid (particularly if loud) would approach them quickly in public. I have seen it many times with other dogs too.

This Pit Bull's FIRST response was to attack a stranger's face. Not a quick bite even, she was permanently disfigured. This was not a territorial issue even as this happened outside of the home. WHY do people want to continually insist this is the human's fault? <smh>
So there we go.
Those of us who have been long enough around dogs of different breeds - we instinctively know that there is something different about pit bulls, the way they act. And it's no good.
I haven't *met* the English bulldogs before too for example, as I haven't seen the pit bulls.
But the former ones, in spite of their fearsome look, rather make me chuckle now, if anything.
Their personalities are totally within the expected range of predictability, as other dogs.
Unlike you know who, and yes, it has little to do with "human's fault."

Old 12-28-2017, 11:29 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
How is this still in the political section?

Moderators must be on vacation...
May be because it's an attempt to figure out whether an issue with this particular breed should be regulated ( gasp) by *the government*?

Old 12-29-2017, 01:47 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
There have been so many pit bull attacks lately it just cannot escape your attention:

Christmas Eve - Kentucky woman killed, husband mauled by 2 pit bulls.
December 22 - Two year old Dallas child mauled by pit bull at pet adoption event.
December 17(?) - Virginia woman mauled to death then eaten by her two pit bulls.
December 11 - Teenage pizza delivery driver and a deputy mauled by pit bull in Florida.
December 11 - Seventy seven year old Illinois woman mauled to death by pit bull.
December 2 - Seattle UPS driver mauled by pack of pit bulls.
November - Seven year old Lowell MA boy mauled to death by pit bull.

Now normally you would expect this to be a pet Section thread but, pit bull threads are banned.
Maybe Current Events? Nope, banned there too. I guess "...Other Controversies" is a last hope.

I think people have the right to be aware of pit bull tendencies and be able to know if it is the right dog for them. They also should have the right to know if they are allowed or banned. They also need to have access to people with experience, good and bad, like trying to rent a home if you own a pit bull.

It is very discouraging to have a ban on discussion, it's like censorship by a minority of pit bull apologists.

Here's a thought: Have you ever watched "Pit Bulls and Parolees"? Have you EVER heard a dog growl on that show? I haven't. They expect you to believe that not one of the rescued pit bulls has growled?
My problem is they are complicit in this misinformation. Pit bulls ARE NOT for everyone, they ARE NOT all 'misunderstood'.

I believe they should be banned. At a minimum it should be illegal to breed them.

It scares me to walk my grandchildren knowing I may not be able to keep one or more pit bulls away. And, what is the punishment for the owner? Nothing, maybe a fine. A pit bull attack should be treated as if the owner did the attacking.

I've owned an Irish Setter, German Shepherd, a pit bull and a pug. There's a reason I will now only own a small dog. The potential to hurt someone is too great a liability with a big dog. I think owning a pit bull should require training and private insurance.

Seven attacks that we know of in less than 2 months. It's time to STOP silencing people who want responsible owners.
Looks like more Americans are killed by dog attacks than by the terrorists?

Old 12-29-2017, 05:02 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No, YOU are WRONG.

Because pit bulls are too easily poorly owned and therefore too often the cause of death and destruction of completely innocent lives (less the bad owners being attacked by their pit bulls and instead their dogs attacking children, neighbors, and their pets)... people like you need to stop wasting precious time pondering why these pit bulls are snapping and going into attack mode. Again, it's not about whose at fault with these tragedies, but to make the carnage stop Immediately.

As animals, pit bulls cant be reasoned with. However human beings can. We need to stop breeding pit bulls and instead make them out of the reach of the average pet owner. Pit bulls will not be missed and there are millions of other more deserving dogs and other pets to be companions for people and their families.

Pit bulls need not be a protected animal like a white rhino, giraffe or elephant. They are just a working dog breed that no longer has any use or relevance in today's society.
I'm not wrong. Instead of trying to understand the breed, you would prefer to just eliminate them completely. Who else in history can you think of that wanted to eliminate an entire race of people? Hitler perhaps?

If we could reason with all human beings we wouldn't have school shootings, bombings, stabbings, etc.. But we do, because there are times when people just cannot be helped nor controlled. But that's an exception to the rule, not the rule itself. So I ask again, would you like to eliminate an entire race of people because there are a few with horrible upbringings who end up lashing out at society? No... you wouldn't. There is no difference here. You do not kill off an entire species because you don't understand them. You should focus on trying to understand them more.

As I sit here looking at my pitbull I cannot help but wonder why you come to this conclusion based on the media's interpretation of the breed. You fail to realize that pitbulls are not the most common breed of dog to bite someone, or to be aggressive. They are simply the one that the media has focused on because people like you are very easy to persuade to follow someone else's logic instead of using your own.

I don't wonder why the dogs snap, because mine nor any I have ever been around has. They've never given me an inkling of doubt about them. How many pitbulls have you been around? How many have been aggressive towards you? I'd venture to say you've been around a few dogs who have growled, barked, shown teeth, etc... But how many attacked you and how many were pitbulls?

You can deny all that you want, but there is a reason so many people want to remove the stigma associated with pitbulls. Those who own one and raise it properly know that there are very few breeds that are as loyal as these. IF you raise them and train them properly.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:10 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
If anyone is paying attention, the media controls your thoughts and opinions. Now that these few incidents have popped up recently, the media is running with it and suddenly pitbull attacks are up. Are they really, or is the media just reporting those more and ignoring the rest because they know it's a hot button for people?

Why do we not see more videos of people being attacked by other breeds? We know it happens, but we don't report on it or discuss it because it would be a shame to paint a dog like a Dalmatian in a bad light since they are painted as the cute dog sitting on the fire truck, despite being a dog that is known to be temperamental and to turn on their owners. It's much easier to blame a dog who has been sensationalized in the media as being dangerous. It makes for better news stories.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:14 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:

This isn't just a political section. This section is called "Politics and other Controversies". This topic is another controversy. It doesn't need to be part of politics.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:17 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
If anyone is paying attention, the media controls your thoughts and opinions. Now that these few incidents have popped up recently, the media is running with it and suddenly pitbull attacks are up. Are they really, or is the media just reporting those more and ignoring the rest because they know it's a hot button for people?

Why do we not see more videos of people being attacked by other breeds? We know it happens, but we don't report on it or discuss it because it would be a shame to paint a dog like a Dalmatian in a bad light since they are painted as the cute dog sitting on the fire truck, despite being a dog that is known to be temperamental and to turn on their owners. It's much easier to blame a dog who has been sensationalized in the media as being dangerous. It makes for better news stories.
Maybe it's because most other breeds are not capable of killing their owners or the neighbors next door. The media does report other attacks by other breeds. I just read about a German Shepard that killed a new born. That doesn't diminish the fact that pits are the biggest problem.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Yeah, you did. You tried making it seem as if pit bulls aren't exceptionally dangerous by casually mentioning these other dog breeds. You did that to mislead everyone into thinking that "any" breed can be volatile when the reality is that the ones you mentioned are also included on most every principality's list of most dangerous dogs and have also been subject to as much strict legislation and bans as pit bulls.

You researched the most dangerous breeds in an oily tactic to mislead readers for the reason I mentioned above. Nice try, though.

Just as a PSA for anyone else, the breeds this poster mentioned are not "any breed." I repeat--they are part of a small number that have been recognize and designated as dangerous by many countries around the world. The reason why we don't hear more controversy about them is that owners of German Shepherds, Chow Chows, Akitas, etc. don't fight legislation, insist that their dogs are angels when there's an attack, whine about how they're being unfairly targeted or insist on owning these dogs in huge numbers.

You also don't see the rampant out of control breeding with these other breeds that you do with pit bulls, so there's less of a panic around them. (Literally, the last time I've ever seen a pet German Shepherd, Husky or any dangerous breed anywhere in NYC was 20 years ago, but there are so many pit bulls they are the #1 breed put up at all the animal shelters here.) If Husky, Akita, Rottweiler, etc. owners of these dog breeds were just as selfish and egotistical, there would be just as much debate.
I wasn't misleading anyone. I have nothing else to say. I won't engage with someone who is calling me a liar.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:

There are a lot of threads I don't like on this subforum. You know what I do? Ignore them. I don't open them up to complain about the fact they exist.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

When I was a kid it was Rotties and Dobermans with the evil reputation of being indiscriminate killers. Probably because the media ran with it back then because people lap up these stories like a bear going after honey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies