Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 06:26 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Because anything connected to academia has a certain "untouchable" element to it.

These folks are educated. This is where we find the truth and it becomes law.

That's the mindset.
Sociology and its related political studies are not legitimate academia. They are a collection of cobbled together thought experiments that are almost entirely founded to justify one political aim or another. Calling such people "professors", and implying that they academically in the same league as people who earn degrees in real subjects, is an insult to people who can do more with their analytical abilities than make social justice arguments. It's also a disservice to society that becomes confused over just how far apart in intellectual ability professors from differing subject areas can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
What the researchers did say was that farmers markets were "White spaces" that "normalized food consumption of white people."
Yes, and the racist implication is that the "food consumption" of white people is somehow abnormal or illegitimate.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Why does random off the wall personal opinions seem to set off the right wing nut jobs like this? You guys like to use fringe opinions to rally...
Because you guys have a habit of turning once fringe opinions into something that is later enforced by the DOJ, is taught in sensitivity training, and that one can get fired over if one disagrees.

We've learned to take your "fringe" wackos very seriously because your centrist wackos soon will.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm a Democrat, and not everyone posting is a right wing nut job.

The reason this is 'setting us off' is because this isn't a one off. Another poster has given numerous examples where idiots like this come up with some bogus theory. It happens on a regular basis. And because many of them are involved in Academia, they may be viewed as being authorities on the subject.

There are more non-racist white people who post here than racist white people, but those fringe nut jobs who are racist against black people set off a lot of people when they post. Why is that? Whatever the reason is, apply it to this situation.

It gets old, if nothing else.
I know this because I'm posting in this thread . As for the political forum, the vast majority of active posters are RWNJs and there is a heavy right leaning slant to many topics. They like attacking academia whenever they run across fringe opinions like what's being discussed here. I get that and I try to call out misinformation when I see it. The thing about academia is it's not meant to reinforce dogma type views. It's purpose is to create discussion and challenge people to think critically. This idea is an affront to conservative thinking...

Old 12-28-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Because you guys have a habit of turning once fringe opinions into something that is later enforced by the DOJ, is taught in sensitivity training, and that one can get fired over if one disagrees.

We've learned to take your "fringe" wackos very seriously because your centrist wackos soon will.
If this is the case I'm pretty sure you can provide an example to back up what you're claiming..

Old 12-28-2017, 07:01 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
They were working on a 'trees are racist' article but someone beat them to it. 'Farmers markets are racist' was their second choice.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:05 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Those professors could made better use of their time helping prep for their next class (that isn't politically correct-angled).

Old 12-28-2017, 07:42 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
I know this because I'm posting in this thread . As for the political forum, the vast majority of active posters are RWNJs and there is a heavy right leaning slant to many topics. They like attacking academia whenever they run across fringe opinions like what's being discussed here. I get that and I try to call out misinformation when I see it. The thing about academia is it's not meant to reinforce dogma type views. It's purpose is to create discussion and challenge people to think critically. This idea is an affront to conservative thinking...
LOL - touche, Shabazz.

I think Academia is meant to take existing and popular ideas and challenge them with other logical ideas, whether new or not - popular or not.

I don't think Academia is meant to try and undermine entire races or cultures with notions that cannot be proven, or have no basis in reality.

How are current messages helpful to black people and other minorities? How destructive is the message that minorities cannot keep up with standardized courses and testing, so they're unfair and race-based? How destructive and unfair is it to spout ridiculous notions like the one in this thread or to say the nuclear family is a white concept and is therefore racist? Or reading to your young children creates an unfair advantage and is therefore racist? Or that when white people leave their children inheritances it's a continuation of racism and a way to keep wealth from black people? Or that every little thing is a micro-aggression? Or that all white people are racist? It's the constant targeting of one group, and if any group other than white people were the ones being targeted, much of America would be up in arms about it. It's become acceptable to do this, however. There are still wrongs that need to be righted but attacking an entire group of people for things that are nonsensical in nature, isn't the way to do it.

So posters aren't attacking Academia, posters are attacking insane notions.

It feels like the purpose of this is to create a larger chasm between the races.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
LOL - touche, Shabazz.

I think Academia is meant to take existing and popular ideas and challenge them with other logical ideas, whether new or not - popular or not.

I don't think Academia is meant to try and undermine entire races or cultures with notions that cannot be proven, or have no basis in reality.

How are current messages helpful to black people and other minorities? How destructive is the message that minorities cannot keep up with standardized courses and testing, so they're unfair and race-based? How destructive and unfair is it to spout ridiculous notions like the one in this thread or to say the nuclear family is a white concept and is therefore racist? Or reading to your young children creates an unfair advantage and is therefore racist? Or that when white people leave their children inheritances it's a continuation of racism and a way to keep wealth from black people? Or that every little thing is a micro-aggression? Or that all white people are racist? It's the constant targeting of one group, and if any group other than white people were the ones being targeted, much of America would be up in arms about it. It's become acceptable to do this, however. There are still wrongs that need to be righted but attacking an entire group of people for things that are nonsensical in nature, isn't the way to do it.

So posters aren't attacking Academia, posters are attacking insane notions.

It feels like the purpose of this is to create a larger chasm between the races.
Academia should encourage new ways of thinking. It should continually challenge minds to think outside the box and push the limits. Does it always do this? No, but that should be the goal. Sometimes when trying to think outside the box new ideas sometimes miss the mark. Kind of like this topic. When this happens people just move on. The exception is the "American conservative". If a new idea pops up and it's wrong conservatives use it as an excuse to attack all of academia. You might not have done so but there are conservative posters on this very thread who has...

As for the current messages to black folks; I rarely listen to most of it. Many black folks feel the same way as I do. So instead of listening to messages geared towards black folks, you should listen to the messages from black folks. Doing this will give you a better indicator where many of us stand on the important issues. This is one of the major disconnects that creates misguided opinions...

Old 12-28-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
If this is the case I'm pretty sure you can provide an example to back up what you're claiming..
Oh, I don't know, how about fake media narratives about supposed police misbehavior in Ferguson, which one-hundred percent rely on both ignoring facts and ignoring grand jury decisions, and then cause DOJ over-reach to dragnet the entire police department into a fake institutional racism decision.

How about every manner of diversity mandate that is essentially just a complaint that different places are either too white or too male. Skill, founders, and merit be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies