Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:58 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Oh, I don't know, how about fake media narratives about supposed police misbehavior in Ferguson, which one-hundred percent rely on both ignoring facts and ignoring grand jury decisions, and then cause DOJ over-reach to dragnet the entire police department into a fake institutional racism decision.

How about every manner of diversity mandate that is essentially just a complaint that different places are either too white or too male. Skill, founders, and merit be damned.
It's funny how many people can live in a bubble like this.. The DOJ has a civil rights division and one of their main jobs is to investigate things like this. I'm glad you admitted you don't know. We all expected such...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 11:02 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
If people keep paying for these worthless institutions of higher "education," we'll keep getting the same results.

Voters, vote no on all education bonds.

Parents, home school your kids and don't pay for them to go to worthless colleges like SDSU.

Kids, don't go to worthless colleges where professors say that farmers markets are racist.

Last edited by dechatelet; 12-28-2017 at 11:44 PM..

Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What is Food justice you ask, and I know you are.

Judge is in the court eating a can of beans.
Cucumber is in the jury listening to the pea
Pea is on the stand testifying about the limy beans
Eventually it makes it way to the SCOTUS
The cauliflower votes one way and
The broccoli votes the other way

Then there is this link :

WHAT IS FOOD JUSTICE? | Just Food

Food Justice is communities exercising their right to grow, sell, and eat healthy food.

Apparently after thousands of years in existence people are to stupid to eat and a PhD FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE A BUCK OFF THEM.

I don't think it's that simple, especially for people in food deserts.

The mom-and-pop corner stores in food deserts have a rep as high-priced, like 7-11 and other convenience stores. So there appears to be a chicken-and-egg problem. Any produce the store carries is going to be ridiculously priced, cheaper ways to get calories abound in the same store. So the produce gets uglier and uglier until it is tossed out, the store logically stops carrying it, and then there is no produce in the 'hood at any price.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:16 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It's close, yeah.

Usually saying someone/something is "Racist" implies that the person is willfully discriminatory and hateful.

In this case I think the researchers are saying that farmers markets are inadvertently contributing to racially-divided outcomes.
But how are they? A business is going to go where it can sell its product. If a particular community does not have a welcoming environment and a market for that product the business goes elsewhere. Basic business. If low income black communities want farmers markets in their community it is on them to create a welcoming environment.
Statements like "white spaces" are racist as is saying "normalized food consumption of white people". These statements willfully imply unequal distinctions between peoples based on the pigmentation of their skin. Honestly I dont see the relationship of farmers markets and gentrification.

You commented that in my rural area we dont really have gentrification and initially I agree. But in a way in recent years we have been seeing a similar phenomenon. For decades even centuries there have been big family farms, small farms large tracts of wooded areas, natural area, swimming holes, etc. that have been basically public access. Now we are seeing developers buy up these properties and build high dollar gated communities affordable to transplants retiring from states with historical higher economic advantages over often poverty stricken locals. Communities with golf courses, natural areas, trails, lakes, etc. along with no trespass signs everywhere. Cant even drive on the roads if you dont own property. In a sense gentrification without race being inserted. Locals are being pushed out of areas they used for decades.
So would the prospective change here if the majority of transplants moving into the now gated upscale communities were black? Would surrounding areas be "black spaces" and markets in these areas be places that sold "normalized food consumption of black people"?
IMO the way this research was presented is racist BS. And I think thats a shame because it is a issue that deserves attention. To bad people like these professors don't focus on a solution instead of creating blame and making it a racial issue.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:20 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Democrats have become the party of STUPID, and they are highly motivated to bring the rest of the country down with them.....
But let's all march around in our pink vagina hats!

Old 12-29-2017, 07:26 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I usually see these things you're so concerned with mostly online. You've probably never seen anyone in person refer to jingle bells or math as racist either. You right wingers like to use online fringe reports as lightening rods... For those of us that live in the real world, stuff like this is insignificant..
And race baiting nutcases such as yourself like to use conspiracy theories and outright lies.

If it is so "insignificant", then why are you on this thread foaming at the mouth with conjecture?

Old 12-29-2017, 07:28 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
We had a black president and guess what? He received hell from your type for years... There is legitimate opposition to policy and than there's the type of opposition your type gave him... But nice try...
Guess what?

The black president won two terms and took no more criticism than any other president.

You ... are ... lying.

And you are not very good at it.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Yes, and the racist implication is that the "food consumption" of white people is somehow abnormal or illegitimate.
No, not abnormal or illegitimate. They seem to think it's culturally oppressive, and that public policy shouldn't be used to favor white yuppie norms.

Last edited by le roi; 12-29-2017 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-29-2017, 10:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's relevant because the premise is that farmer's markets aren't available in poor areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But how are they? A business is going to go where it can sell its product. If a particular community does not have a welcoming environment and a market for that product the business goes elsewhere. Basic business.
I think their point is that farmers markets are generally not 100% private entities operating on private land.

Like I mentioned earlier, they tend to be small, nonprofit affairs sponsored by local or state government, or community groups, and often held on public land.

Thus the farmers themselves are not choosing the site where the farmers markets are located, the local policymakers (or community members) are. That's the premise. The idea of 'capitalist farmers choosing to sell elsewhere' is a possibility, but not the actual issue that they're observing here.

Quote:
Statements like "white spaces" are racist as is saying "normalized food consumption of white people". These statements willfully imply unequal distinctions between peoples based on the pigmentation of their skin. Honestly I dont see the relationship of farmers markets and gentrification.
A lot of the far-left SJW people who do these sorts of studies don't see racism as a two-way street. That is, black people getting together and excluding whites is (to them) OK, but not whites excluding blacks. To them it is based on a judgement of who has "power" and control.

I don't agree with it, strictly speaking. I think it lacks nuance. But I also don't think it's totally wrong, they do have a point.

Quote:
You commented that in my rural area we dont really have gentrification and initially I agree. But in a way in recent years we have been seeing a similar phenomenon. For decades even centuries there have been big family farms, small farms large tracts of wooded areas, natural area, swimming holes, etc. that have been basically public access. Now we are seeing developers buy up these properties and build high dollar gated communities affordable to transplants retiring from states with historical higher economic advantages over often poverty stricken locals. Communities with golf courses, natural areas, trails, lakes, etc. along with no trespass signs everywhere. Cant even drive on the roads if you dont own property. In a sense gentrification without race being inserted. Locals are being pushed out of areas they used for decades.
Yes I've noticed that American capitalism has really extreme views on public access to private property. I didn't really grasp it until I started traveling and realized that in many other countries, you can just walk through someone's property, legally, by default.

Quote:
So would the prospective change here if the majority of transplants moving into the now gated upscale communities were black? Would surrounding areas be "black spaces" and markets in these areas be places that sold "normalized food consumption of black people"?
idk, difficult to say.

My experience is that people in the economic geography / urban planning field very strongly dislike gated communities. But I also don't think that black gated communities are common enough for that to be a topic.

Quote:
IMO the way this research was presented is racist BS. And I think thats a shame because it is a issue that deserves attention. To bad people like these professors don't focus on a solution instead of creating blame and making it a racial issue.
Yeah I sort of agree, it's one reason I never went into academia. I just try and take their attitude with a grain of salt.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Academia should encourage new ways of thinking. It should continually challenge minds to think outside the box and push the limits. Does it always do this? No, but that should be the goal. Sometimes when trying to think outside the box new ideas sometimes miss the mark. Kind of like this topic. When this happens people just move on. The exception is the "American conservative". If a new idea pops up and it's wrong conservatives use it as an excuse to attack all of academia. You might not have done so but there are conservative posters on this very thread who has...

As for the current messages to black folks; I rarely listen to most of it. Many black folks feel the same way as I do. So instead of listening to messages geared towards black folks, you should listen to the messages from black folks. Doing this will give you a better indicator where many of us stand on the important issues. This is one of the major disconnects that creates misguided opinions...
I think if there was one news story after the next about how Academia was thinking out of the box and challenging people with the notion that black folks were somehow to blame for a number of societal ills, and these things were a common theme with some white people buying into it - that you'd be as tired of it as white folks are of these ridiculous ideas about our race.

I'm not surprised most black people don't listen to most of it. But some will pick it up as truth and the notion that this is what many are teaching in college is what has the attention of white people.

Quote:
So instead of listening to messages geared towards black folks, you should listen to the messages from black folks. Doing this will give you a better indicator where many of us stand on the important issues. This is one of the major disconnects that creates misguided opinions..
This is a fair point But hopefully you know most white folks aren't pissed off at black folks for any of this - we're pissed off at the white fringe element on the left coming up with this crap and at the schools that pay them to teach it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies