Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 12:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL I don't. But you don't know about something until you experience it. I have flown to Japan, Korea, Thailand, Singapore and never experienced what happened when my flight had a layover in China. So Seriously it wasn't as if I or many others had a clue what it would be like.
Seriously who spits on the floor of the airplane as if it's no big deal? Who just throws their trash on the floor? Evidently mainlanders do.
I don't make that mistake anymore and I avoid Hong Kong as well now. I liked Hong Kong.
Stop lying OK? I flight many many times in China and have never seen anybody spit on the floor in an airplane.
Why do you have to lie to make a point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 12:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes, I've seen this behavior before in Europe...especially the UK, where queuing politely is a point of pride and if they see you queue-jumping, they will frequently call you out on it. I've seen episodes escalate quickly when Chinese tourists did not understand that everyone has to wait their turn but everyone will be served.

I've never been to China but I've heard that standing in line quietly and politely is not the done thing there.

I do think that tourists...be they Chinese, European, or other...would do well to educate themselves on local customs and dos/don'ts when traveling. I know Europeans were left rather befuddled by the Chinese habit of spitting in public and the Polish were quite put off by public displays of drunkenness by the British. And Americans slowly yelling each word in English while visiting Paris is never a good thing.
All Chinese know "queue-jumping" is bad. Some people still do that because they have no dignity, but it is a huge exaggeration to say every Chinese does that. If you go to any Chinese city, you will find in the vast majority of cases people wait in line perfectly. It is just common sense.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:41 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
This isn't much of a surprise is it? Hence you don't see big time east Asian CEOs unless they start their own companies, e.g. NVIDIA. I'm sure the most he would have been promoted to was some engineering management role if he was working. Looking at the leadership of western companies I didn't think east Asians could even manage anything other than a take out restaurant. However passive aggressive, but open to interracial relationships east Asian women are highly regarded especially in management circles.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 12-29-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 12:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yeah, this is true.

Just like one wise Chinese-American poster said, "I have to get a better education, I don't want to sell Kung pao chicken in the food court." lol
Lol...true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Very odd that you're so angry over this, and making it personal.

Especially for someone whose greatest contributions to most debates on this form is, "Doesn't affect me, so I don't care."

BTW, I'm really glad you think you're doing so great. It's good to have ambitions and a positive self-image. But don't get carried away buddy, I seriously doubt you're 1% material. Your reliance on an "Op Ed" that proves a thesis you're trying to advance is just one clue of that.

Asians are over-represented in high tech and professional fields, like Jews. 6.6X over-representation at Google. And if you think that's a function of GEOGRAPHY as opposed to CULTURE or APTITUDE, then you will still find that within the SAME geographical confines, Jews and Asians will STILL outperform whites, blacks and Hispanics... IN THAT SAME CITY/AREA.
You aren’t a 1 Per Center in your WILDEST dreams. Stop it.

Moreover, I didn’t get angry...I verbally abused you because you can’t understand basic ****! Now if you don’t like what I contribute, don’t respond to me. Simple.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:06 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Stop lying OK? I flight many many times in China and have never seen anybody spit on the floor in an airplane.
Pot meet kettle.

You still haven't answered my question as to why you think 'Americans' dislike dominant East Asians when your own study that you used to make this thread was from a Canadian University, was performed by a Canadian researcher, and used Canadian students who have never had a job before for 3/4 studies. And on top of that, 3/4 studies used a majority of Asian subjects. The last study that focused in harassment failed to control appropriately for sex and only focused on one type of employment industry. And how do explain this phenomena in Canada when a huge number of participants were Chinese that required translated questionnaires? That might actually be a more interesting study.

Why have you yet to read your own study yet? Is it because you don't understand hypothesis testing and basic statistics such as ANOVAs? Please don't tell me you are relying on the article written by a journalist....because journalists very often lack the technical backgrounds to write about studies correctly.

Why is it that YOU have to lie and sensationalize to attempt to make a point about 'Americans' somehow hating Asians when the study was performed in Canada?

Old 12-29-2017, 01:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
All Chinese know "queue-jumping" is bad. Some people still do that because they have no dignity, but it is a huge exaggeration to say every Chinese does that. If you go to any Chinese city, you will find in the vast majority of cases people wait in line perfectly. It is just common sense.
You can't tell me what I have and haven't seen.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:21 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Why do you act like this?

When did boneyard1962 lie about anything? He just liked to talk about his own experience because he liked traveling. Don't take people's comment so personally, all right?

Old 12-29-2017, 01:41 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
As an east Asian American, it took me less than 5 years to become team lead engineer. I have a very dominant personality. Having said that, I can definitely tell that people when they first met me always expect me to be either submissive or act silly.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
As an east Asian American, it took me less than 5 years to become team lead engineer. I have a very dominant personality. Having said that, I can definitely tell that people when they first met me always expect me to be either submissive or act silly.
That’s sad. I don’t understand why anyone would expect that without getting to know you first.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:51 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
This may explain why East Asians can hardly get promotion, and there is no East Asian hero in Hollywood movies.
-------------

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...eaders/257135/

The dominant East Asian employee was more disliked than the non-dominant East Asian employee, the non-dominant White employee, and the dominant White employee. A separate trial showed that participants held descriptive stereotypes of East Asians as being competent, cold, and non-dominant, while another showed that the most valued expectation of East Asians was that they "stay in their place."
I wonder what, exactly, explains why East Asians dislike "Americans" with dominant personality. You know, it might explain why there are zero "Americans" (read anyone other than East Asian) in any powerful position within their governments or business sphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies