Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 01:06 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Actually it says "establishment of religion", as in churches. Missed the part where it says freedom to discriminate.
You really shouldn't cherry pick to make a point in this debate. The First Amendment also clearly states that government shall make no law "prohibiting the free exercise thereof." That's the "freedom to discriminate." Again, like it or not, what I wrote is a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I’m not Christian, nor do I believe in any sky friends, but did not your Jesus character also describe men who lie with men as one who would lie with a woman as abominations?
Nope.

That's the Old Testament. Leviticus, I think.

As I recall, gay men were supposed to be killed. Not sure what the deal was with gay women.

Also, people were supposed to stoned to death for adultery. Daughters were to be sold for a cow and a couple of goats. Or was it sheep?

The Old Testament was filled with such nonsense that Jesus Christ did not encourage.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:18 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You really shouldn't cherry pick to make a point in this debate. The First Amendment also clearly states that government shall make no law "prohibiting the free exercise thereof." That's the "freedom to discriminate." Again, like it or not, what I wrote is a reality.
Maybe this is pot calling kettle black and even worse, your "justification" really isn't a justification.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Nope. Religious freedom is not freedom to discriminate. If you don't want to bake cakes for certain people, then take you and your religion off to a new career, one that doesn't put you at odds with behaving like a decent human being.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:22 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
I think it's wrong to deny someone service because they're gay, but it's also not hard to walk away and find someone who does support you. They could've just went to a non-homophobic bakery and the problem would've been solved. But collect that check I guess.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:28 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Did you even read what I wrote Again:

The very act of the state forcing the baker (or fining/jailing) to bake this cake is compelling the baker to create art that he is opposed to. Customization can play a role, but its not a necessary role. Fundamentally, this is still a situation where the state seeks to compel the bakers to create what they are against creating. Again, this is far different from selling a pre-made cake to any customer who walks in the door and offers the asking price.

And the state did not force the baker to get into the business of baking or of baking wedding cakes specifically. But the state does seek to force the baker (under threat of fine directly and imprisonment indirectly if baker refuses) to bake/create once the baker has decided to bake (that's all my point is). As to whether they cannot discriminate in this sense, we'll see what the Supreme Court has to say . . . many are expecting the Court to rule for the baker in the Masterpiece Cakeshop case following the oral argument earlier this month (specifically, following questions posed by Justice Kennedy that showed him skeptical of the government's arguments in that case).
The baker did not know if the "art" in question is something that he would have objected to since the design was not discussed. Maybe they wanted a cake exactly like the one he made for one of their mothers, he did not object to that "art" for her and her husbands wedding why would he object to it for this couple?
The objection to creating particular "art" fails when the "art" design has not been discussed.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:30 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
Remember what the gays told you? How does gay marriage affect your life? Now you know. They'll be demanding that Churches marry them next.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:30 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,035,751 times
Quote:
This is why so many strip clubs can get away with turning away female patrons.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
This is why so many strip clubs can get away with turning away female patrons.
Strip clubs turn away women?

Who else knows about this travesty of justice?

Old 12-31-2017, 01:31 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,035,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Remember what the gays told you? How does gay marriage affect your life? Now you know. They'll be demanding that Churches marry them next.
My bigger question is, where are the churches during all of this? Catholics seem to have an unending plethora of very elite lawyers at their disposal to help the priests who molest children, but where are all of these churches to help this man out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies