Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 08:45 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You have to make a living. Whatever you do, they can impose the same requirements. So that's a silly argument.

Moreover, the issue in the lawsuit wasn't the bakery not being "open" to the public. The issue had to do with a part of the business that apparently wasn't open to the public, which means that by your argument they wouldn't have to accept public accommodation laws. The statute is really stupidly drafted.
The bakery (a public accommodation) offered as one of their services custom wedding cakes IN their bakery which was licensed by the state to operate. It wasn't something that they only offered if you popped by their house and asked them to make for you. It was a service offered in their bakery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Follow the law and you won't have any problems. Don't like the law? Then work to change it.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
A similar case is being hearded by the US Supreme Court an it is virtually certain that cake company (a different one) in your court decision will appealed and overturned, based on the Supremem Court ruling.
There is no ruling as of yet. How can you be certain of this case being overturned when you do not know the outcome of the Supreme Court case?

Old 12-31-2017, 08:52 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You have to make a living. Whatever you do, they can impose the same requirements. So that's a silly argument.

Moreover, the issue in the lawsuit wasn't the bakery not being "open" to the public. The issue had to do with a part of the business that apparently wasn't open to the public, which means that by your argument they wouldn't have to accept public accommodation laws. The statute is really stupidly drafted.
No. A business in Oregon can still be private, with no public access or outreach to the community at large.

A good example would possibly be a kosher bakery that sells its cakes only through word of mouth to a Jewish clientele only. That bakery would still be legal, even if it only agreed to sell cakes to only Orthodox Jews, never selling to Reform Jews.

There are many other specialized businesses of all kinds that serve specialized clienteles. Here in my own hometown, there are many of them.
One sells only piping valves that are used in nuclear reactors. Their doors are open to the public, so if I ever wanted to build a reactor in my back yard, I could walk right in and buy a valve from them, but I would have to look around to find someone to sell it to me, as they have no sales counter. And the paperwork involved in buying one would take longer than it would to buy the valve anywhere else. And those valves aren't sold on the internet.
I might be able to find a valve that is just as good at my local plumbing supply, though, because a brass valve is only a brass valve.
But at the plumbing supply, I could be standing next to a homosexual with plumbing problems, or a Jew who's doing some remodeling, or a black guy whose outside faucet bib just blew and is flooding his basement. Since that business has it's doors open to all, they can't turn away anyone due to the personal beliefs of the store's owners.

That valve could be just as good in every way as the one in the specialized nuclear outfit. The only difference is one is certified to be safe operating in the middle of a reactor, while its twin in the plumbing house isn't certified. Withstanding nuclear radiation is important, so it's both costly and requires specialization in its supply needs.
So that certified valve would be a lot more expensive. But if I had really bad hard water problems, maybe that valve would be worth all the time, money and hassle to get it, if I never wanted to mess with the valve again.

Who knows? I might have to be certified myself just to be able to buy one, as we don't want those valves going into the wrong hands somewhere else. But, in the end, it's still just a valve. And the nuclear industry needs people to go to supply stores to get them once in a while legally.

So both supply places are equally legal under the law. Different businesses, each set up for different supply and service. One has closed doors, the other has none.

Can you understand the difference now?

Old 01-01-2018, 08:48 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Your point being??
Refusing to do business with gays is nothing but discrimination. The place sells cakes. They cannot pick and choose who they sell cakes to based on race, religion, or sexual orientation. Doing so would satisfy the definition of discrimination.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Take it up with the Constitution. The Constitution allows for discrimination in many instances (or rather the Constitution prohibits government from seeking to ban/penalize private citizens from discriminating in many instances), like it or not. Its called freedom.

I would really appreciate it if you would provide an example of something that shows your point in bold above.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Nope.

That's the Old Testament. Leviticus, I think.

As I recall, gay men were supposed to be killed. Not sure what the deal was with gay women.

Also, people were supposed to stoned to death for adultery. Daughters were to be sold for a cow and a couple of goats. Or was it sheep?

The Old Testament was filled with such nonsense that Jesus Christ did not encourage.
Like "smiting your neighbor for working on the Sabbath." I wonder if those bakers ever worked on the Sabbath.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I think it's wrong to deny someone service because they're gay, but it's also not hard to walk away and find someone who does support you. They could've just went to a non-homophobic bakery and the problem would've been solved. But collect that check I guess.
Should they look for a sign outside the bakery advertising "non-homophobic?"

Old 01-01-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
You're not understanding. The "art" is the cake itself. Again, decorations may play a role in determining the artistic value/nature of an object, but they are hardly a necessary role.

"The art of the cake" is a stretch that the baker's attorney took to try to get their issue to the Supreme court. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:09 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Would you be okay if a baker refused to make a cake for a unwed mother for her childs birthday or a african american couple?
You are off base.....the baker said men on men is against his religion
Your liberal comparison has nothing to do with religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies