Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:10 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It actually doesn't make a difference. Stock cakes are stock cakes. Three-tier stock cakes are still stock cakes. You are arguing that just calling it a wedding cake makes it a work of art. But that's ridiculous. There are people who buy their wedding cakes at Wal-Mart. Plain cakes where some person in the bakery writes "Congratulations" and that isn't art. The Kleins' refusal was about where the cake would be served. Not about artistry. Not about free speech. But about venue. And the law in Oregon doesn't allow them to refuse for that reason. Venue does not equal participation. That's what the courts have been finding in these cases, and we'll have to see what the Supreme Court says. As conservative as this court is, I would be troubled if they ruled in favor of the bakers, because it opens the door to business people being able to refuse for any reason, as long as they cite the reason is religious. There are religions that believe that being black is the mark of Cain, and that black people are cursed. What if a bakery refused to make a birthday cake for a child because he was black? What if a bakery refused to make bar mitzvah cakes? What if a bakery refused to make a cake for a couple because one of the couple was Catholic and one was not? There is a slippery slope in allowing businesses to deny services to people the businesses decide aren't worthy. It's not like denying someone because they can't pay. It's denying someone because they are different.
Excellent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 02:13 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It actually doesn't make a difference. Stock cakes are stock cakes. Three-tier stock cakes are still stock cakes. You are arguing that just calling it a wedding cake makes it a work of art. But that's ridiculous. There are people who buy their wedding cakes at Wal-Mart. Plain cakes where some person in the bakery writes "Congratulations" and that isn't art. The Kleins' refusal was about where the cake would be served. Not about artistry. Not about free speech. But about venue. And the law in Oregon doesn't allow them to refuse for that reason. Venue does not equal participation. That's what the courts have been finding in these cases, and we'll have to see what the Supreme Court says. As conservative as this court is, I would be troubled if they ruled in favor of the bakers, because it opens the door to business people being able to refuse for any reason, as long as they cite the reason is religious. There are religions that believe that being black is the mark of Cain, and that black people are cursed. What if a bakery refused to make a birthday cake for a child because he was black? What if a bakery refused to make bar mitzvah cakes? What if a bakery refused to make a cake for a couple because one of the couple was Catholic and one was not? There is a slippery slope in allowing businesses to deny services to people the businesses decide aren't worthy. It's not like denying someone because they can't pay. It's denying someone because they are different.
I see where you're getting at, but that's not what is at stake here. Nor is it what the couple in this case requested. Instead, they explicitly requested (and the state seeks to compel) that the baker create a work of art explicitly for the purpose of an occasion (i.e. same sex wedding) that the baker disagrees with. That's where the difference between selling a pre-made stock cake to any/every customer vs. being compelled to create art/expression for a purpose that you disagree with. Note, the stock cake is art, too, but its art that the baker already created to sell to the general public; it would be another thing entirely to deny someone who is willing to buy what was already created if they offer the asking price for the item . . . but that's not what have here (at least not in the Masterpiece Cake case and I can't find anything to suggest that's what we have in this case either).

Also, I don't see the flood gates being opened if the Supreme Court (as many expect) rules against the couple in the Masterpiece Cake case. I'd expect the Court's decision to be pretty narrowly tailored, carving out an exception that prohibits government from being able to compel artists to create what goes against their belief system, not allowing businesses that choose to engage with the public to discriminate (or prohibiting government from stopping such discrimination) carte blanche against an entire class of people because of who those people are. That's not we have in the Masterpiece Cake case (where the baker explicitly says he's happy to and sells to gays for every other reason essentially) and I haven't read anything to suggest that's what we have in this case.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:17 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
  • Leviticus 18:22, You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.1. Leviticus
20:13, If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death.
There were self-righteous *******s even back in the day.

Please show us the scripture where Jesus Christ encouraged people to treat others this way.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:20 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They were self-righteous *******s even back in the day.

Please show us the scripture where Jesus Christ encouraged people to treat others this way.
Okay, got it. "Be Christians" is only applicable for the Left insofar as it jives with their political goals. However, when it is pointed out that Christianity does not jive with their political goals, it turns out that Christians are self righteous in a manner that has them dismissed.

Talking to a cat would be better time spent than arguing with liberals.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:22 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Not to get too carried away with this, but there are Biblical passages about stoning people to death for one thing and another.

Marriage was defined as a father selling his daughter for "three goats and a cow."

The writings were a product of their time and of the minds of the people who wrote them down.

Most of us have moved past that.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
It's on the back page as you close the book.
This makes no sense.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Not to get too carried away with this, but there are Biblical passages about stoning people.

Marriage was defined as a father selling his daughter for "three goats and a cow."

The writings were a product of their time and of the minds of the people who wrote them down.

We've moved on.
You very obviously aren't keeping up with the thread and what we are discussing, specifically.

It's the equivalent of hearing a snippet of a conversation and then interrupting to tell us your opinion.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:31 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Okay, got it. "Be Christians" is only applicable for the Left insofar as it jives with their political goals. However, when it is pointed out that Christianity does not jive with their political goals, it turns out that Christians are self righteous in a manner that has them dismissed.

Talking to a cat would be better time spent than arguing with liberals.

Talking to a wall would be time better spent than expecting a reasonable response from the self-righteous to "Please show us the scripture where Jesus Christ encouraged people to treat others this way."

Old 12-29-2017, 02:38 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I guess there's no freedom of religion for christians.

Oregon court rules Christian bakery must pay $135G to lesbian couple | Fox News
Sure there is, just no freedom to discriminate.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Homosexuality could be a sin. If it is, it's not my problem. That is up to the person and God. The Bible also states "Love thy neighbor as thyself". My God hasn't instructed me to condemn anyone. My God has said that it is his business to do that, not me. If it's a sin God can deal with it far better than my meager understanding of things.

The Bible also instructs that gossiping is a sin and I doubt there is anyone that can avoid that one so........... God didn't instruct that it's OK to sin a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies