U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 03:55 PM
 
11,225 posts, read 13,184,469 times
Reputation: 6597

Advertisements

I am wading into a minefield here, I realize. One big question I hear is "Can the USA ever fix it's broken, wildly expensive, health care?" it's well known that just about all other civilized countries have lower cost care that covers all their citizens. But I say, look not to Canada, Europe... But to Costa Rica. One tenth the cost, universal care.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heal..._in_Costa_Rica Granted, that nation has advantages that could not be duplicated in the USA, such as fewer motor vehicles and lower stress. But surely we could adopt some of their practices, even if it results in people we don't like getting benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 03:59 PM
 
9,953 posts, read 3,031,766 times
Reputation: 3980
The ruling donor class that control the health insurance corporations and the pharma industry will push relentlessly against common sense health care policy that provide cheaper, more effective health care for every American. Its a nightmare for these vested interests. The system isnt broken for these people on the top of the food chain. The system is specifically designed to be a massive drag on our finances and a huge source of wealth for a select few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:04 PM
 
2,271 posts, read 549,660 times
Reputation: 1462
Anybody heading to Costa Rica for vascular or cancer operations, I'll be happy to give you a ride to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:09 PM
Status: "Happy New Year to ALL" (set 4 hours ago)
 
11 posts, read 1,335 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I am wading into a minefield here, I realize. One big question I hear is "Can the USA ever fix it's broken, wildly expensive, health care?" it's well known that just about all other civilized countries have lower cost care that covers all their citizens. But I say, look not to Canada, Europe... But to Costa Rica. One tenth the cost, universal care.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heal..._in_Costa_Rica Granted, that nation has advantages that could not be duplicated in the USA, such as fewer motor vehicles and lower stress. But surely we could adopt some of their practices, even if it results in people we don't like getting benefits.
My wife is from Costa Rica and I spend time there and their public healthcare is horrible. Anybody that can afford it gets private insurance to not wait forever for any little thing. People working for American companies can usually get partial private insurance and that's a big help.

I like the idea of single payer and I believe there are some countries that make it work, but in Costa Rica, public health only helps the extreme poor have something that's a little better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:10 PM
 
Location: St Paul
5,147 posts, read 2,444,480 times
Reputation: 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I am wading into a minefield here, I realize. One big question I hear is "Can the USA ever fix it's broken, wildly expensive, health care?" it's well known that just about all other civilized countries have lower cost care that covers all their citizens. But I say, look not to Canada, Europe... But to Costa Rica. One tenth the cost, universal care.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heal..._in_Costa_Rica Granted, that nation has advantages that could not be duplicated in the USA, such as fewer motor vehicles and lower stress. But surely we could adopt some of their practices, even if it results in people we don't like getting benefits.
I lived in CR for 10 years, still own a home there and hold residency. I can speak to this subject. There is universal health care. The care is very good. The challenge is the waiting time. If you walk into the ER with a broken arm, 12-16 hours is a normal wait time. 24 hours is not uncommon. Wait times for surgery are normally in the years, not months or weeks. Their system waterlogged with illegal immigrants. By some estimates 1/3 of all the people in CR are illegals. Ask a Costa Rican what they think of Nicaraguans & you'll think Trump is a moderate . The net result is that no one you know would use the public system. Everyone middle class and above has private health insurance and goes to private hospitals. It's created a caste system of sorts. The exact same thing happened there with education. No one middle class or above attends public schools. They all pay for private schools. Again, it's created a caste system of the upper class and lower class. That divide continues to get bigger, not smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:16 PM
Status: "I put the 'hot' in psychotic" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Anderson, IN
2,885 posts, read 739,110 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Anybody heading to Costa Rica for vascular or cancer operations, I'll be happy to give you a ride to the airport.
I'll take you up on that! I don't have cancer or vascular problems, I just want to go someplace warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:19 PM
 
9,953 posts, read 3,031,766 times
Reputation: 3980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I lived in CR for 10 years, still own a home there and hold residency. I can speak to this subject. There is universal health care. The care is very good. The challenge is the waiting time. If you walk into the ER with a broken arm, 12-16 hours is a normal wait time. 24 hours is not uncommon. Wait times for surgery are normally in the years, not months or weeks. Their system waterlogged with illegal immigrants. By some estimates 1/3 of all the people in CR are illegals. Ask a Costa Rican what they think of Nicaraguans & you'll think Trump is a moderate . The net result is that no one you know would use the public system. Everyone middle class and above has private health insurance and goes to private hospitals. It's created a caste system of sorts. The exact same thing happened there with education. No one middle class or above attends public schools. They all pay for private schools. Again, it's created a caste system of the upper class and lower class. That divide continues to get bigger, not smaller.
Yet, life expectancy has skyrocketed in CR and infant mortality has plummeted in the past decades. They must be doing a lot of things right. A poor third world country with more than twice the murder rate of America and obesity rates rapidly approaching America's level has higher life expectancy than America...Wait times? If you earn more than $200 a month, even as parent of small children, you dont qualify for Medicaid in Alabama. You simply beg your friends for that $150 000 chemo therapy and if you cant get it, wait for your death. How is this acceptable in the richest country in the world, far, far richer than Costa Rica?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:20 PM
 
22,566 posts, read 8,825,128 times
Reputation: 16322
We have friends who have lived in Costa Rica for several years. They speak highly of the health care system.

They could well afford private insurance, but instead use the public system.

Once a year, they meet with a health care provider who talks with them about healthy choices and how they are managing their health. They've gone in for various ailments over the years and are satisfied with the care they've received.

BTW, everyone has health insurance. If you hire a part-time gardener or part-time housekeeper, you pay that portion of their health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:27 PM
 
22,566 posts, read 8,825,128 times
Reputation: 16322
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'll take you up on that! I don't have cancer or vascular problems, I just want to go someplace warm.
Skeddy offers to drive more people to the airport than Uber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:29 PM
 
13,904 posts, read 4,503,352 times
Reputation: 5064
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I am wading into a minefield here, I realize. One big question I hear is "Can the USA ever fix it's broken, wildly expensive, health care?" it's well known that just about all other civilized countries have lower cost care that covers all their citizens. But I say, look not to Canada, Europe... But to Costa Rica. One tenth the cost, universal care.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heal..._in_Costa_Rica Granted, that nation has advantages that could not be duplicated in the USA, such as fewer motor vehicles and lower stress. But surely we could adopt some of their practices, even if it results in people we don't like getting benefits.
Who are the people we don't like ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top