Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 08:43 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
This is what happens when you teach women to read and write.
And allow them to vote or leave the home.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:46 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Senior woman here.

I have no idea what this young woman is complaining about --- that there are moments when men explain things in a (perceived) condescending way?

Well, when my husband is suffering a moment of male-refrigerator-blindness when trying to find the mayonnaise,
and I point out it is on the shelf right in front of him at eye level -- is that "womansplaining" ?
We all do this, not a gender thing....

(But now that I mention this, how is it that men can never find the right-in-full-sight jar of mayo, but can instantly, even with a blindfold on, find a bottle of beer in even the farthest hidden reaches of a fridge??)

Because we only have eyes for you. And beer.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:50 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
"Any other women sick of all the mansplaining men do?"

It's not just men, my most condescending boss EVER was a female, drove me nuts.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:53 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Men tend to want to be helpful. One of the biggest complaints from women regarding the men in their lives is that a woman will vent and her man will try to come up with a solution to fix the problem. The women will say, 'But all I want to do is vent!! Don't try and fix everything!'

So in an attempt to try and be helpful, if we feel someone doesn't understand something, we'll explain it in a different way.

It's usually based on the response we're getting. If some of you are getting the same reaction over and over again - perhaps you're coming across with a deer caught in the headlights look.

In some videos I've seen of men being accused of mansplaining the women were going off topic and making statements that made no sense. It felt like mansplaining was used as a tool to shut down men who had:

1) more legitimate points
2) tried to get the discussion back on track
3) further explain something the women simply didn't seem to grasp

All of the above is fair game for either gender. You can't stand the heat? Try closing your mouth.

Not everyone has the skills it takes to win a debate.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:57 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
The responses to this thread are telling in their own right, but that being said, OP, what the heck are you talking about?

Are people in general tired of other people not speaking truthfully or diverting the topic? Sure. But that is hardly a male-only trait - let's be honest.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:58 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I just love the way women have to pipe in that they don't know what those silly young things are talking about. As if that makes them superior or something. I am tired of mansplaining and we all are. If you are such an awesome woman that men don't do that to do you... good for you. But for the rest of us unlucky ones... here are some examples for you

- when you call the HVAC person because you heat is out and the HVAC spends 20 minutes telling you how your system works because he isn't really sure the problem, you have just been mansplained.

- when you have been on the HOA for 5 years and the newest male member comes on board and starts telling you how HOAs work, you have been mansplained.

- when you are the boss and are asking the male IT manager why something doesn't work and he launches into a speech on the differences between blah blah program and blah blah program... but doesn't answer the question.. you have been mansplained.

Maybe someday this will be eliminated.
Many women don't get so upset about the things you describe. Certainly not enough to create a word to describe it. I may roll my eyes if it happens and say thank you because that is what polite people do. There are jerks in the world and they come in both genders. There are also women and men who need things explained to them because they truly do not understand. Women who create videos like this are bitter and narcissistic, and I have lost 2+ minutes of my life listening to it. She wants women to follow her silly videos and agree that she is right about whatever little pet peeve she may have. But let's be honest, doing vlogs like this are so someone can get their 15 mins and fulfill their little narcissistic fantasy as their following grows.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"Any other women sick of all the mansplaining men do?"

It's not just men, my most condescending boss EVER was a female, drove me nuts.
Mine was an overbearing man who treated me like DIRT despite the fact that my team had the best numbers year after year after year. When I asked me why he treated me so badly (after having just received an 'Exceeds" evaluation) ~ he told me it was 'for my own good'.

I knew I was doomed.

Whenever I think about mansplainin ~ I think about him mainly.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:20 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I just love the way women have to pipe in that they don't know what those silly young things are talking about. As if that makes them superior or something. I am tired of mansplaining and we all are. If you are such an awesome woman that men don't do that to do you... good for you. But for the rest of us unlucky ones... here are some examples for you

- when you call the HVAC person because you heat is out and the HVAC spends 20 minutes telling you how your system works because he isn't really sure the problem, you have just been mansplained.

- when you have been on the HOA for 5 years and the newest male member comes on board and starts telling you how HOAs work, you have been mansplained.

- when you are the boss and are asking the male IT manager why something doesn't work and he launches into a speech on the differences between blah blah program and blah blah program... but doesn't answer the question.. you have been mansplained.

Maybe someday this will be eliminated.
#triggered.

You are seeing things through "mansplaining"-tinted glasses. And it is causing you unnecessary distress.

When someone is consulted on their area of expertise, they usually like to explain things and talk about the subject. Don't take it personally. So what if someone gives you information you already know? Obviously, you don't know everything, otherwise you'd fix your own HVAC system and de-bug your own computer programs.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:33 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
#triggered.

You are seeing things through "mansplaining"-tinted glasses. And it is causing you unnecessary distress.

When someone is consulted on their area of expertise, they usually like to explain things and talk about the subject. Don't take it personally. So what if someone gives you information you already know? Obviously, you don't know everything, otherwise you'd fix your own HVAC system and de-bug your own computer programs.
And this is the crux of it. People are too wrapped up in how they perceive things rather than how it actually may be. Perception is everything and if it upsets you so much then maybe a bit of self reflection is in order for your own well being. People don't conform to what your ideal may be, it is up to you to make it work.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:34 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It’s a warning they are bat chit crazy.
If I were on a date and some woman started in with all this feminazi crap I would politely excuse myself saying I needed to use the restroom and just leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies