Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 11:33 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,750,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Oh, I was talking about the people in here who said things like the decline of our nation started when we allowed women to learn to read, write, vote and work. Basics that they would love to take away again, I would suspect, leaving us as second class. I’m no third wave feminist or anything. I just like being able to make choices for my own life.

I know that sarcasm doesn't come through very well in type... however, for you to actually believe that painfully obvious sarcasm as being serious and running with it shows how willing you are to believe utter nonsense, as long as it fits in your tiny little box.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:35 AM

39,808 posts, read 26,349,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
LOL - Nope, not mansplaining, I think you just came up with the Rosetta Stone Answer many women have been searching decades for!
LOL. I need to mansplain' that one to my wife. I am guilty at times-granted she moves my stuff just often enough that I have an excuse. The other night SHE was trying to find the corkscrew. Rooted around in the utensil drawer, the junk drawer, the other junk drawer for 1/2 hour. I get up...2 seconds in the first utensil drawer. It's the whole priority thing-this involved alcohol! If she asked me to find the mustard it's a lost cause.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:39 AM

5,306 posts, read 2,093,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I know that sarcasm doesn't come through very well in type... however, for you to actually believe that painfully obvious sarcasm as being serious and running with it shows how willing you are to believe utter nonsense, as long as it fits in your tiny little box.
Again, there are enough people in this forum who do hold these beliefs that those who are being sarcastic should note it. One easy convention for doing it in type is to put /s after it.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 AM

19,426 posts, read 12,071,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I am a guy and NEVER lock the nozzle open. One reason is possible static discharge when grabbing the nozzle again and the other is I’m less likely to forget the nozzle in the car and drive off. Such a feature is generally for vehicles with large gas tanks.
True. A lot of people do it in the cold weather though. If I'm pumping a full tank I might lock it but otherwise not so much.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:47 AM

11,914 posts, read 6,499,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
LOL. I need to mansplain' that one to my wife. I am guilty at times-granted she moves my stuff just often enough that I have an excuse. The other night SHE was trying to find the corkscrew. Rooted around in the utensil drawer, the junk drawer, the other junk drawer for 1/2 hour. I get up...2 seconds in the first utensil drawer. It's the whole priority thing-this involved alcohol! If she asked me to find the mustard it's a lost cause.
Yep.
My husband often does dishes and sometimes puts the food and condiments away.
One day I couldn't find the salt, looked all over the kitchen
and had to ask him if he remembered where he put it the night before.
"Yeah, I put it next to the tequila bottle in the liquor cabinet."
Made sense to him......

Old 12-30-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yep.
My husband often does dishes and sometimes puts the food and condiments away.
One day I couldn't find the salt, looked all over the kitchen
and had to ask him if he remembered where he put it the night before.
"Yeah, I put it next to the tequila bottle in the liquor cabinet."
Made sense to him......
Now that's perfectly sensible-first place I'd look! Now I have been known to put the cereal in the refrigerator and the milk in the cupboard. Hey, it was before my first coffee.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Again, there are enough people in this forum who do hold these beliefs that those who are being sarcastic should note it. One easy convention for doing it in type is to put /s after it.
Yeah, you might be right. But some things are just so obvious that we figured it would be hard to miss it as sarcasm. Especially with a tread as silly as this one.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:53 AM

3,638 posts, read 3,760,075 times
Quote:
Oh, I was talking about the people in here who said things like the decline of our nation started when we allowed women to learn to read, write, vote and work. Basics that they would love to take away again, I would suspect, leaving us as second class. I’m no third wave feminist or anything. I just like being able to make choices for my own life.
Oh, phew. It is sometimes hard to tell on forums.

I believe they were being sarcastic.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:01 PM

25,717 posts, read 21,868,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I wish this term would get eliminated out of the current American vocabulary. It sounds like women who hate men and just want them to not talk anymore.
Yes, I agree 100%! Just giving a name to something that isn't something in order to have something new to whine about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I’ll be honest, I really didn’t know what mansplaining was until I just looked it up. That sort of thing doesn’t bother me at all mainly because I think people’s hearts are in the right place when they do those sorts of things. They genuinely think they are being helpful so I give them slack. Now If someone is trying to be a jerk on purpose, well they are just a jerk. It’s not worth getting annoyed about it. I don’t even think that sort of thing is even gender specific. I’m probably guilty of “womansplaining” myself.
Exactly! That it is being used to find another way for the scorned woman to strike back..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why doesn’t she explain what mansplaining is? I looked it up, and it seems pretty subjective to me. Kind of stupid really. People like to pontificate on all sorts of topics. I never took it as condescending, or an insult to my intelligence. I see these same people do it to men and women.
That is what I have seen also, not gender specific, well, unless someone has a "chip on their should" either concerning men or women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Marching down the streets with Vagina hats does not convey the message of intelligent people who want to understand anything.
As a woman, I was so embarrassed for those women who didn't have the commonsense to realize how foolish they looked. We get it, they hate men! Imagine if it had been men in penis hats what would have been said, that would have been totally unacceptable to them.

There are many "middle of the road", not so many here unless several posters are not being serious with their hateful and/or outdated beliefs, and if so, one might try adding at the end of the post so some others like me don't consider them horses' butts!

Such fragile beings in both male and female these days, always looking for something to whine about, creating new words to match their whine.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:12 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,124,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It’s not toxic. Come on!
It absolutely is. When you tell other people how to do their jobs (even if you don't know the first thing about their responsibilities or their skill set), it's a problem. When you can't go through a day without telling others what you think they should have done rather than doing your own work, it's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies