Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 07:30 AM

11,914 posts, read 6,501,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I just love the way women have to pipe in that they don't know what those silly young things are talking about. As if that makes them superior or something. I am tired of mansplaining and we all are. If you are such an awesome woman that men don't do that to do you... good for you. But for the rest of us unlucky ones... :
Oh good grief, I'm 66 and have been around the block enough to have been treated condescendingly from men
and women.. I have been treated condescendingly from young children explaining things I clearly already know. Childsplaining???

In fact even my dog rudely lets me know I am inherently inferior for not clearly knowing that the game of fetch-a-ball is profoundly boring and stupid.

Perhaps the difference is I can laugh or shrug it off, as I am secure enough to KNOW I am not stupid or
Inferior whether someone treats me like it or not.......

Last edited by mountainrose; 12-30-2017 at 07:39 AM..

Old 12-30-2017, 07:32 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,758,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica65 View Post
Of course men will deflect, say it's not a thing, say we're just crazy but any women that have dealt with lots of men especially in a working environment will know exactly what I mean. Hell, even on message boards such as this mansplaining and even EXTREME MANSPLAINING is a huge issue, and honestly I think it should be a bannable offense. I particularly hate it when men try to talk about women's health issues, or women's body parts as if they have a clue what they are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjOyKzRnwgs
Really? I suppose then that the converse is true and that its time to bring to an end the pervasive staffing model in healthcare facilities where any man in need of intimate care faces a sea of women, being those women can't possibly have a clue as to issues affecting man parts. Or is this a one-way street you are referring to?

Old 12-30-2017, 07:34 AM

23,569 posts, read 13,779,811 times
What I am sick of is people immediately taking that stand without A, listening to reason, and B, realizing they are pushing "The Klingon" option.

A: On the Net, people don't always know right off if you are a boy or a girl. I have come across situations where I try to explain something and have been accused of mansplaining. It happens so often, I just revert to B without saying it.

B: "Then die in ignorance. I can waste no more time on you."--Worf as Captain, ST:TNG "The Emissary"

Which rather comes down to C. They still haven't learned a thing about the way the election went the way it did (say, in one view). They thought they could silence the opinion of others and when others no longer spoke, they thought they won.

EDIT:

Looking through all the pages about HVAC, it reminds me of the David Doyle episode of "Fantasy Island" where he was a plumber with a fantasy of being a modern day King.....and then laid down the law for those trying to cheat his country with an irrigation system ploy (as I recall, I haven't seen that since its 1st broadcast).

Morale of the story is never assume that anyone is stupid.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-30-2017 at 07:44 AM..

Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 AM

2,828 posts, read 818,679 times
Quote:
Of course men will deflect, say it's not a thing, say we're just crazy but any women that have dealt with lots of men especially in a working environment will know exactly what I mean. Hell, even on message boards such as this mansplaining and even EXTREME MANSPLAINING is a huge issue, and honestly I think it should be a bannable offense. I particularly hate it when men try to talk about women's health issues, or women's body parts as if they have a clue what they are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjOyKzRnwgs
Women hate being told when they're wrong, and will insist the world is flat just to say they are right.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 AM

6,252 posts, read 5,043,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

Look.......I'm a woman. I spent my entire life in gyms. I was heavily into martial arts from the time I was 10 until the time I was 20. I spent my 20s and 30s raising boys, working in fitness centers in YMCA's and learning to love running. I spent my 40s working for parks and rec and being completely embedded in a lifestyle of continual training as an adventure racer. Most commonly I was the one woman on 3 and 4 person co-ed teams. I slept in many hotel rooms with men. I have laid side by side in the middle of the night (sleeping for 30 minutes at a time) underneath picnic tables in the middle of the mountains using my mtn bike helmet as a pillow. I have peed right beside my male team-mates.

The quote above is part of a post I made a few pages back.

That portion of my response was quoted in a PM by the individual who started this thread, along with this message.

So you seriously are okay with hanging out with guys doing all of that? Aren't you not embarrassed at all? Waking up looking horrible, pulling your pants down next to guys? WTF?

To the OP - I competed at the national level in karate, at the state level in judo, and at the national level in adventure racing. I spent a lot of time training alone during my AR years (most often two a days) but I also traveled all over the South East US to meet up with training partners. And we raced all over the right half of the country. You learn a lot about a person when you've been on the move for two straight days in the freezing cold mountains. Some of the best people I ever met were male adventure racers.

So yes - I am seriously OK with that. And no - I wasn't embarassed to wake up looking horrible (mostly because there wasn't a whole lot of sleep involved - we got about 12 hours sleep in total over the course of a five day race and zero sleep in races between 24 and 48 hours). And yes - you're a freakin' moron.

Last edited by juneaubound; 12-30-2017 at 08:01 AM..

Old 12-30-2017, 07:54 AM

11,914 posts, read 6,501,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

Look.......I'm a woman. I spent my entire life in gyms. I was heavily into martial arts from the time I was 10 until the time I was 20. I spent my 20s and 30s raising boys, working in fitness centers in YMCA's and learning to love running. I spent my 40s working for parks and rec and being completely embedded in a lifestyle of continual training as an adventure racer. Most commonly I was the one woman on 3 and 4 person co-ed teams. I slept in many hotel rooms with men. I have laid side by side in the middle of the night (sleeping for 30 minutes at a time) underneath picnic tables in the middle of the mountains using my mtn bike helmet as a pillow. I have peed right beside my male team-mates.

There have been times when I dated or worked alongside real jerks. But not many. And not seriously. I have to say that in male dominated sports I was NEVER disrespected. Not for one moment. In the work place morons got one step over the line and I confronted it head on and directly. FWIW the recreation field is a very female friendly and generally respectful environment in which to work.

I've lived in five different countries. I've lived in four different states in the US. I've raced in just about every state east of the Mississippi. I've raised two sons to adulthood. There are a$$hole men. There are a$$hole women. Stupid, dismissive, condescending videos like this one do no-one any favors.
Well said!
This has been my experience also. There are disrespectful men, women, children, and dogs......but they are the exception and rare.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
According to wiki it is condescending way of explaining something to a women. I say maybe the woman doesn't want to be told something she doesn't know or understand and is being oversensitive. My first wife was like this.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
LOL, to myself.. You actually sound much like I was about 55 years ago... Since you apparently are an alpha female.. Men, may very well give your respect ( but it's always dependent on what their agenda was to begin with)..

BUT YOU do not represent most women.. Most women do NOT have such a "Self-assured" personality... Guess, your deflection to BLAMING women for their own abuse kind of falls flat. NOT ALL young/older women grow up like yourself and to JUDGE ALL women as such is simply misguided.

I worked in HC Industry and witnessed/experience ALOT of abuses ( not just women either) . Worked on Sexual Abuse Team who gathered Forensics and had to support these people ( ALL genders and age groups) who were so fearful and threatened. So Puleese, do NOT lecture me on the "FAUX" damages abuse/ mental physical and emotional abuses cause!!! TYIA If you have NEVER lived it.. take it from someone who has lived thru it.. It's NOT the Girls/Boys/Women's fault as ABSOLUTELY YOU wish to suggest !!
Sounds more like you are intimidated by men.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:21 AM

34,151 posts, read 18,427,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
According to wiki it is condescending way of explaining something to a women. I say maybe the woman doesn't want to be told something she doesn't know or understand and is being oversensitive. My first wife was like this.
When you are so insecure, you will see condescension in everything. Women just need to "Man Up".

Old 12-30-2017, 08:41 AM

52,342 posts, read 34,085,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
No.

Staphangel?
yep, sure sounds like the angel of staph infections who used to post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.