Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party values education more?
Democrats 110 74.32%
Republicans 38 25.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:43 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The Democrats value worthless education more, that's for sure. Nonsense like "gender studies" is what turns otherwise normal people into moronic robotic Democrat voters.

Republicans value actual education. Things like how to shoot a gun or run a small business.

Hahahaha, oh, thank you, that line was the best laugh I have had in a long time........shoot a gun and run a small business ! I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type !

I'm liking you better all the time, LoveToRow !! Great sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 09:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Are you knocking Starbucks employees? They get paid decently and get college paid for. When you go to Starbucks do you look down on them? Let me guess, you don't go to Starbucks or at least you may say that on here. Just assumptions of course.
Starbucks has the College Achievement Plan

In a first of its kind collaboration with Arizona State University (ASU), we’re offering all part- and full-time benefits eligible U.S. partners full tuition coverage for every year of college to earn a bachelor’s degree. Partners receive support from a dedicated team of coaches and advisors, 24/7 tutoring on a variety of subjects, and a choice of more than 60 undergraduate degrees through ASU's research driven and top-ranked program, delivered online.

https://www.starbucks.com/careers/college-plan

Old 12-30-2017, 09:45 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What party wants school vouchers?
Republicans do. Why would you ask a question you already know the answer to? Vouchers are their chosen method of trying to destroy public education.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Not all colleges are the same. Overall, colleges seem to slant to the left though. Plenty of radical leftist professors have been caught spreading their hate. Everything from hatred towards whites, verbal tirades against Trump supporters, and so on. Remember the Florida professor who claimed that Texans deserved all the suffering brought on by Hurricane Harvey, just because Texas favored Trump during the election? Sickening to know people think this way. The professor was fired, but they will likely just spread their hate at some other university. And some unfortunate students will have to foot the bill for this pathetic loser's lecture time. What a scam...
The argument that colleges slant to the left comes mostly from issues like race and sexuality(and maybe drug policy).

As for professors saying dumb things, that goes both ways. For some reason, those on the left just seem to be in the spot light right now, but there are plenty from the right who do the same thing.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:54 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The Democrats value worthless education more, that's for sure. Nonsense like "gender studies" is what turns otherwise normal people into moronic robotic Democrat voters.

Republicans value actual education. Things like how to shoot a gun or run a small business.

Ah yes, our GOP overlords who get to determine what is and isn't worthless in terms of education - evolution (waste) v. creationism, for an example of how Republicans value 'actual education'.

It is absolutely hilarious the degree to which those women's studies, gender studies, and those underwater basket weaving majors get you types into tizzy.

Since people like you have so, sooooooooooo much to say about college educations, can you at least start with the fundamental basics on which you're basing your arguments such as simply looking at the number of majors before opening your mouths? What's the phrase again? 'Look before you leap'....

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/...sp?current=yes

Sorted by numbers from highest to lowest:

Business .................................................. .........
Health professions and related programs ............................
Social sciences and history ........................................
Psychology .........................................
Biological and biomedical sciences .......................................
Engineering ...........................................
Visual and performing arts ...............................
Education ...............................................
Communication, journalism, and related programs ..............................................
"Homeland security, law enforcement, and
firefighting ................................"
Computer and information sciences ...........................
Parks, recreation, leisure, and fitness studies ...................
Multi/interdisciplinary studies ................................
English language and literature/letters .......................
"Liberal arts and sciences, general studies,
and humanities .............................."
Agriculture and natural resources ..................
Public administration and social services ........................
Physical sciences and science technologies .............................
Family and consumer sciences/human sciences ...........
Mathematics and statistics ........................................
Foreign languages, literatures, and linguistics .........................
Engineering technologies ................................
Philosophy and religious studies ..................................
Theology and religious vocations ....................
Architecture and related services .......................
Area, ethnic, cultural, gender, and group studies ...................................
Communications technologies ..........................
Transportation and materials moving .....................
Legal professions and studies ...................................
Military technologies and applied sciences ................................
Library science ..........................................
Precision production ....................................
Not classified by field of study ...................

The top 5 majors are mostly things I thought the GOP would classify as 'useful' - business majors, biomedical/bio sciences, health professions, and if we go down to #6 engineering.

But oh god, let's make a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fuss over those 0.1% social justice majors.

Last edited by fibonacci; 12-30-2017 at 11:22 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 09:54 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
The Great Plains states have historically had some of the highest education expenses per pupil in the US. The whole Kansas education budget crisis was over the state reducing education per pupil levels to just under the national average and over double what some southern Republican states spend. I think think that money is well spent, we have lower crime rates, lower drug rates, lower levels of children out of wedlock, higher household incomes, etc. My point is, state Republican parties vary greatly, just compare N Dakota, Mississippi, and Wyoming. I do think at a national level Democrats are more friendly towards education, but at a state level it varies widely.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:56 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Hahahaha, oh, thank you, that line was the best laugh I have had in a long time........shoot a gun and run a small business ! I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type !

I'm liking you better all the time, LoveToRow !! Great sense of humor.
[/color]
Education to run a small business is very valuable. Not so sure about firing a gun though... but my school district does have shooting competitions. It’s a sport just like any other.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:06 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Education to run a small business is very valuable. Not so sure about firing a gun though... but my school district does have shooting competitions. It’s a sport just like any other.
Sorry, it just struck me as being hilarious ........shoot a gun and run a small business ! I''m still laughing out loud at that one .

Old 12-30-2017, 10:10 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Are you knocking Starbucks employees? They get paid decently and get college paid for. When you go to Starbucks do you look down on them? Let me guess, you don't go to Starbucks or at least you may say that on here. Just assumptions of course.
LOL, I'm not knocking Starbucks employees-I'm questioning the wisdom of paying $100,000+ for a degree in music. Meaning that most likely you will be working at Starbucks or a similar job...paying off a student loan debt larger than many people's mortgages. And you are right-I don't go to Starbucks-I think I've been in one twice. I don't waste $5 on a cup of coffee.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
LOL, I'm not knocking Starbucks employees-I'm questioning the wisdom of paying $100,000+ for a degree in music. Meaning that most likely you will be working at Starbucks or a similar job...paying off a student loan debt larger than many people's mortgages. And you are right-I don't go to Starbucks-I think I've been in one twice. I don't waste $5 on a cup of coffee.
Many employees are working at Starbucks in order to get a degree. They have a college program. I'll pay $5. for a cup of coffee knowing I'm helping people go to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies