Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party values education more?
Democrats 110 74.32%
Republicans 38 25.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 08:08 AM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
So, you're saying that the unwashed masses won't be able to enjoy the music created by your relative unless we go to Julliard? You 100% completely, totally don't get it and are NOT a friend of the arts.
I didn't say that at all. I said knowing what you you are hearing, reading and/or seeing is as important as making a lot of money.

Juilliard teaches much more than composition.

There is thread after thread on this very place about stupid people doing stupid things. Do you think watching trash tv and listening to trash music will improve the GPA of the next generation? In my neighborhood those listening to trash are the children of oil company engineers and oil company lawyers.

One cannot learn to read until one can sing. Knowing music improves math scores. Playing an instrument in a band teaches teamwork as much as any sports team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:11 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times
While "Democrats" is the obvious answer ever since the Republican party leadership hitched its wagon to bigotry, ignorance, and substituting religion for science, I don't think EITHER party LEADERSHIP wants voters to be "too smart." Among the voters in each party, however, progressives (who are stuck voting for the Democrats) clearly support education far more than right-wingers. Education breaks down bigotry and ignorance, and those who support education understand that religion and science are not substitutes for each other. Each has its place, of course.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:14 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I think Democrats.
"Educations" covers very WIDE spectrum.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:16 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
We can see from this thread so far that Republicans do not value liberal arts education. So, the social sciences, language, or really any subject that has you thinking beyond cold, hard numbers is greatly undervalued. Unfortunately for the right, the social sciences are the ones that shape people into greater, more empathetic human beings so I'm not at all surprised that Republicans often do not value them.

Trump style Republicans view any education unfavorably. More often than not, they see education as "indoctrination by the left."
You must have one of those useless Liberal Arts degrees!

Old 12-31-2017, 08:17 AM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Many employees are working at Starbucks in order to get a degree. They have a college program. I'll pay $5. for a cup of coffee knowing I'm helping people go to school.
Exactly. And aside from Starbucks, the reason why lots of college students work retail jobs is that its very flexible when it comes to course scheduling, since those type of jobs gives students the ability to work nights and weekends.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:20 AM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You must have one of those useless Liberal Arts degrees!
All of the Republican politicians you vote for have liberal arts degrees.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:26 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Trump style Republicans view any education unfavorably. More often than not, they see education as "indoctrination by the left."
Keep them stupid and they'll fall for anything we say

Old 12-31-2017, 09:00 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
How many people who say that college “indoctrinates you to be a liberal” have actually gone to college?

It can’t be that many, percentage wise,
Well, even even university trustees and alumni are complaining about the exact same thing, perhaps people should take heed. Read the TIME article I posted.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:04 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Exactly. And aside from Starbucks, the reason why lots of college students work retail jobs is that its very flexible when it comes to course scheduling, since those type of jobs gives students the ability to work nights and weekends.
So... what's their excuse for having to still work those jobs after they graduate because no one will hire them due to their insufficient critical thinking abilities, etc.? Read the TIMES article I posted.

A LOT of you need to get your heads out of the sand.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:04 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,288,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
LOL, I'm not knocking Starbucks employees-I'm questioning the wisdom of paying $100,000+ for a degree in music. Meaning that most likely you will be working at Starbucks or a similar job...paying off a student loan debt larger than many people's mortgages. And you are right-I don't go to Starbucks-I think I've been in one twice. I don't waste $5 on a cup of coffee.
You really think that Juilliard grads end up working at a Starbuck’s?

It’s more likely that you’re an aging plumber whose body is falling apart, hate going to work, but don’t have the education for another occupation, than that a Juilliard grad can’t do better than Starbuck’s, whether she stays with music or moves to another career.

I’m not disparaging trade schools, but they don’t provide the background to move into other fields that the much despised BA degree does.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 12-31-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies