U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party values education more?
Democrats 109 74.15%
Republicans 38 25.85%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 10:35 AM

2,716 posts, read 1,163,704 times

Advertisements

I don't know why in recent years education itself is politicized. It's so ridiculous. Like, the act of learning new things, different ways to think about the world is all of a sudden "Liberal"? Isn't that the whole purpose of education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 11:32 AM

6,831 posts, read 2,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So do the job prospects and opportunities for those with liberal arts degrees. Read the TIME article I posted. It explains why, from the perspective of college trustees and alumni.
They’re still viewed as more competent than those without the degree. If the college degree has been devalued by comparison the high school diploma is virtually worthless as opposed to what it was 50-60 years ago. You are still more likely to hire a literate employee who knows how to learn when you hire a college grad. If that was not the case, you wouldn’t continue to have lower levels of unemployment and higher salaries for college grads than non-college grads.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 12-31-2017 at 12:00 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 PM

66,175 posts, read 30,022,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Hahahaha

The person I know already has a part time job, 60K plus commission. And he is still a student.
Do ALL Juilliard grads get $60,000 jobs right out of college? No. Just like any other college/university.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...woes/29218003/

Old 12-31-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
I don't know why in recent years education itself is politicized. It's so ridiculous. Like, the act of learning new things, different ways to think about the world is all of a sudden "Liberal"? Isn't that the whole purpose of education?
It used to be, decades ago. It no longer is. See both of my posts with links to articles on this, one (in The Atlantic) on why and how education got to be that way, and the other (in TIME) about how liberals have dumbed-down liberal arts degrees.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
They’re still viewed as more competent than those without the degree.
Not necessarily.
Quote:
If the college degree has been devalued by comparison the high school diploma is virtually worthless as opposed to what it was 50-60 years ago. You are still more likely to hire a literate employee who knows how to learn when you hire a college grad.
University trustees and employers are doubting the veracity of that last assertion. Read the TIME article I posted.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:04 PM

8,096 posts, read 4,675,021 times
"The most erroneous assumption is to the effect that the aim of public education is to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence, and so make them fit to discharge the duties of citizenship in an enlightened and independent manner. Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States, whatever the pretensions of politicians, pedagogues and other such mountebanks, and that is its aim everywhere else." - H.L. Mencken

"The plain fact is that education is itself a form of propaganda - a deliberate scheme to outfit the pupil, not with the capacity to weigh ideas, but with a simple appetite for gulping ideas ready-made. The aim is to make 'good' citizens, which is to say, docile and uninquisitive citizens." - H.L. Mencken

"The most urgent necessity is, not that the State should teach, but that it should allow education. All monopolies are detestable, but the worst of all is the monopoly of education." - Frederick Bastiat

I value education, real education, knowledge and truth. I detest the public-education system and consider it child-abuse for anyone to send their kids there. Almost every person on this forum could do a far better job of educating their own children than any public school. And it would give you a better relationship with them, they would be better behaved, and generally better people.

I refuse to answer the OP's question, because it is stupid.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 PM

21,926 posts, read 9,308,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
They’re still viewed as more competent than those without the degree. If the college degree has been devalued by comparison the high school diploma is virtually worthless as opposed to what it was 50-60 years ago. You are still more likely to hire a literate employee who knows how to learn when you hire a college grad. If that was not the case, you wouldn’t continue to have lower levels of unemployment and higher salaries for college grads than non-college grads.
You are correct. Those who don't believe in college can argue the 'theory' of it forever. It is very sad that America used to be at the forefront of education and valued education highly.

We now have people attempting to disparage the value of education and to make having knowledge a political issue, and this admin appears to have no particular interested in having an educated country or citizenship.

Those with college degrees or some college education participated in the recovery from recession at a much higher rate than those without degrees.

"...newly created jobs since the recession have been filled almost entirely by highly educated Americans. Of the 11.6 million jobs created between January 2010 and January 2016, 11.5 million went to folks with at least some form of college education.

"By contrast, workers with a high school diploma or less hear about an economic recovery and wonder what people are talking about," the report said. "Of the 7.2 million jobs lost in the recession, 5.6 million were jobs for workers with a high school diploma or less."

"The recovery between January 2010 and January 2016 has favored workers with a Bachelor's degree or higher the most," the study said. "Of the 11.6 million jobs created so far during the recovery, nearly 75 percent have gone to people with a Bachelor's degree or higher."

Effectively 99 percent of these new jobs have reportedly gone to workers with at least some college experience...."

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...college-degree

College grads are getting nearly all the jobs - Jun. 30, 2016

Old 12-31-2017, 01:27 PM

17,447 posts, read 23,833,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
We can see from this thread so far that Republicans do not value liberal arts education. So, the social sciences, language, or really any subject that has you thinking beyond cold, hard numbers is greatly undervalued. Unfortunately for the right, the social sciences are the ones that shape people into greater, more empathetic human beings so I'm not at all surprised that Republicans often do not value them.

Trump style Republicans view any education unfavorably. More often than not, they see education as "indoctrination by the left."
The social sciences used to have more conservatives. I had a few professors who were conservatives in subjects that have few conservatives teaching today.

Economics is a social science and econ departments are a redoubt of conservatives on campus (as are business departments). There are still a few law schools with conservative presences even though the left has driven conservatives out at the top tier schools (except for BYU, George Mason, and Pepperdine, with Chicago, Virginia, Notre Dame, and Alabama still having visible conservative minorities)

I suppose there are still right leaning ex-military history teachers and professors out there, and probably still a few right leaning Cuban emigres who often taught Spanish in American universities,although both groups have greatly diminished

Last edited by majoun; 12-31-2017 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 01:34 PM

2,741 posts, read 1,689,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
"The most erroneous assumption is to the effect that the aim of public education is to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence, and so make them fit to discharge the duties of citizenship in an enlightened and independent manner. Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States, whatever the pretensions of politicians, pedagogues and other such mountebanks, and that is its aim everywhere else." - H.L. Mencken

"The plain fact is that education is itself a form of propaganda - a deliberate scheme to outfit the pupil, not with the capacity to weigh ideas, but with a simple appetite for gulping ideas ready-made. The aim is to make 'good' citizens, which is to say, docile and uninquisitive citizens." - H.L. Mencken

"The most urgent necessity is, not that the State should teach, but that it should allow education. All monopolies are detestable, but the worst of all is the monopoly of education." - Frederick Bastiat

I value education, real education, knowledge and truth. I detest the public-education system and consider it child-abuse for anyone to send their kids there. Almost every person on this forum could do a far better job of educating their own children than any public school. And it would give you a better relationship with them, they would be better behaved, and generally better people.

I refuse to answer the OP's question, because it is stupid.
The most emotionally maladjusted people I've ever come across are home-schooled. They have very little idea how to interact with their peers because they're sequestered at home with mom all day. They're also the most stupid because their parents didn't understand the concepts they were trying to teach. Very few people are qualified to teach all of the subjects covered in a traditional secondary education.

Last edited by Pemgin; 12-31-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 01:38 PM

17,447 posts, read 23,833,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
The most emotionally maladjusted people I've ever come across are home-schooled. They're also the most stupid because their parents didn't understand the concepts they were trying to teach. Very few people are qualified to teach all of the subjects covered in a traditional secondary education.
That may speak more about the types of people who are more likely to homeschool their kids than it does homeschooling itself.

I know homeschooled individuals who grew up perfectly adjusted and reasonably intelligent. However their parents were smart, worldly individuals with active social lives who made sure their kids were exposed to the adult world and were comfortable in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or