Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be charged with murder?
The 911 Caller 17 42.50%
The Police officer on "administration leave" 23 57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 03:13 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The cop had NO reason to shoot. Just trigger happy.
Where you there? I guess the caller gets a get out of jail free card too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 03:16 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
To a large degree the Police response is driven by our gun culture. We believe everyone is likely to be armed particularly in a case like this where it had been reported to the police by the purported perpetrator.

It is collateral damage caused by our gun society. Hopefully the good use of guns makes up for these bad outcomes.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:17 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,493 times
Tyler Barriss, the guy who made the "swatting" hoax call, was actually interviewed by DramaAlert before he was arrested. To say he was nonchalant about the whole thing is an understatement! I expected a ghetto smack talker, but his speech was clear, calm and straightforward which makes everything even more bizarre!

Start watching the Youtube at 4:17 for the interview:

Old 12-30-2017, 03:18 PM

I saw a swat team go in.. they are cautious .. they block off the street before they go in.. could be random shooting with high powered automatic weapons from the suspects.. it is a very tense situation when they go in. they have shields and walk slowly. The atmosphere is heightened by the unexpected. No way anyone should ever make a call to get the swat team out as a joke. Sickening.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:24 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I saw a swat team go in.. they are cautious .. they block off the street before they go in.. could be random shooting with high powered automatic weapons from the suspects.. it is a very tense situation when they go in. they have shields and walk slowly. The atmosphere is heightened by the unexpected. No way anyone should ever make a call to get the swat team out as a joke. Sickening.
They are cautious but not out of any concern for the safety and welfare of the local populace. It is out of concern for their own safety. Shooting someone for reaching towards their waistband is entirely in line with their abundance of caution when you consider it in that context.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:29 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No way.. the guy who made the call should have been put away after the numerous bomb threats he made. Don't mess with the swat team putting a tense situation at hand. The caller created it . It would not have happened if the guy did not make the call.
I don't disagree with you. And I don't think anyone is trying to let the prank caller off the hook. But that doesn't change anything that I wrote and doesn't mean that the police couldn't have done better in responding in this case.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:37 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
A “swatting” incident in Kansas turned deadly when cops responded to the faux 911 call and shot an innocent 28-year-old man, it was revealed on Friday.

The tragedy unfolded when a “Call of Duty” player made a phony call to Wichita police after fighting over a bet at about 6 p.m. on Thursday, police said.

The prankster claimed he had just shot his dad and was holding his mom and brother hostage, Wichita deputy police chief Troy Livingston told reporters.

He then gave police the address of his nemesis.

When officers arrived, they surrounded the house where they were told a possible shooting had taken place.

Andrew Finch walked out the front door. He raised and dropped his hands multiple times before an officer opened fire, killing him with one shot.

Wow. Sounds like police were a little trigger happy on this call. Who should be charged with murder?

https://nypost.com/2017/12/29/prank-...lice-shooting/
The obvious answer is "both". Why isn't that an option?

Old 12-30-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't disagree with you. And I don't think anyone is trying to let the prank caller off the hook. But that doesn't change anything that I wrote and doesn't mean that the police couldn't have done better in responding in this case.
The swat team thought they were dealing with a loose cannon because the caller said he had shot his father and was armed. Does not make for a good situation at all that the caller set up, to send in a swat team with that kind of information to deal with..

And yes, the swat team does care about the neighbors who live in the houses next to the suspects home.

They tell them get out of the way , we got a big problem here as the swat trucks come with battering rams and it is as if it is something out of a high action movie.. it is very tense and not knowing if there is going to be a battle with bullets in all directions. Nothing to mess with as a hoax.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:49 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
We live in a police state, so anyone who calls the cops for any reason risks getting themselves or someone else killed these days.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Well, it is ok with many posters who think the caller had no part in it. It could have been sent to anybodies home. Better be ready . There could be many more callers if this guy gets a slap on the wrist. Sending out the swat team to your house unexpected. Don't do anything that looks like you are going to shoot.. the caller may say you killed your whole family and wants death by suicide and will shoot at the swat team when they arrive..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies