U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2017, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,680 posts, read 6,281,571 times
Reputation: 11521

Advertisements

As many of you all have heard, Erica Garner (daughter of Eric Garner, who died while resisting arrest by the NYPD) passed away after suffering a heart attack brought upon by an asthma attack. I believe she was 27 and with two young children, which makes her death all the more tragic. Since her passing, however, whoever is controlling her Twitter page posted this gem of a message for journalists seeking comment on the situation at hand:



Of course, you haven't heard a peep from the MSM condemning/calling out this blatant racism.

The ironic thing is that people across all racial and political lines believe in the need for policing reform. But when you have some who consistently try to racialize matters, you will never have the unity that you need to truly bring about reform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2017, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,482 posts, read 4,220,336 times
Reputation: 9789
Media failed again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 03:18 PM
 
23,080 posts, read 12,289,570 times
Reputation: 7304
Media failed?

It's a private twitter account.

Our President routinely blocks people he doesn't want to answer to....and he represents all of us....lol.

So what -- I don't care they want to only deal with black journalists. How does this offend you?

It's a freak'n twitter page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 03:25 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,495 posts, read 12,453,348 times
Reputation: 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Media failed?

It's a private twitter account.

Our President routinely blocks people he doesn't want to answer to....and he represents all of us....lol.

So what -- I don't care they want to only deal with black journalists. How does this offend you?

It's a freak'n twitter page.
Do a reverse if she was white and requested that only whites make comments. Still racist no matter how you slice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,680 posts, read 6,281,571 times
Reputation: 11521
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Media failed?

It's a private twitter account.

Our President routinely blocks people he doesn't want to answer to....and he represents all of us....lol.

So what -- I don't care they want to only deal with black journalists. How does this offend you?

It's a freak'n twitter page.
Yes, media fail. The media is heavily reporting on Garner's death. And celebrities and politicians alike are expressing sorrow, etc. There are many "private twitter" accounts that the media has no problem calling out, especially if they are "owned" by right wingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,680 posts, read 6,281,571 times
Reputation: 11521
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Do a reverse if she was white and requested that only whites make comments. Still racist no matter how you slice it.
Pretty much. Given the partisan nature embedded within many in this country, I am not surprised by the MSM response (or lack thereof) in this instance. Still, this is clearly racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 03:30 PM
 
9,623 posts, read 5,943,629 times
Reputation: 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
As many of you all have heard, Erica Garner (daughter of Eric Garner, who died while resisting arrest by the NYPD) passed away after suffering a heart attack brought upon by an asthma attack. I believe she was 27 and with two young children, which makes her death all the more tragic. Since her passing, however, whoever is controlling her Twitter page posted this gem of a message for journalists seeking comment on the situation at hand:



Of course, you haven't heard a peep from the MSM condemning/calling out this blatant racism.

The ironic thing is that people across all racial and political lines believe in the need for policing reform. But when you have some who consistently try to racialize matters, you will never have the unity that you need to truly bring about reform.

The difference is that you will not find any Democratic president who'll defend her.

On the other hand, if she is White and said only Whites will comment. Trump will be on it right away! He's got her back.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 03:30 PM
 
23,080 posts, read 12,289,570 times
Reputation: 7304
Yeah it's disgusting -- but I don't care because I don't care about that social media outlet.

I only have one person I follow on Twitter that has said anything about her......I'll have to see who else is fussing.

Not trending....clearly not a big story -- even on a day when there is no other real story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,680 posts, read 6,281,571 times
Reputation: 11521
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The difference is that you will not find any Democratic president who'll defend her.

On the other hand, if she is White and said only Whites will comment. Trump will be on it right away! He's got her back.

.
And, you're wrong. Obama supported Erica Garner. And many dem politicians (who cares if they are president) have done the same. And while all of these Dems would've long condemned similar language if it came from someone white and only called on white journalists to request comment, their silence in this case is equally troubling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 04:39 PM
 
8,083 posts, read 5,289,711 times
Reputation: 9241
Eric was a 38 year old man with 30+ arrest. With 30 arrest under his belt since 1980 on charges such as assault, resisting arrest, and grand larceny he should have a high IQ when dealing with cops and potential arrest. Nowadays people are lacking self responsibility and awareness. This man had 6 kids (the recent one being a 3 month old baby) and he was selling loose cigs, was in bad health, etc. One of his baby mamas called him lazy in regards to why he can't keep a steady job. They told him he was under arrest and he resisted with his bad health. Again after 30 arrest you should know the deal. The guy was a dummy and had no business having kids. Sounds harsh but it is reality.

What was Erica doing before her "activism" days? I feel she somewhat used her dad's death as a platform to establish a career. Everyone was also using this lady for their agenda. Rev Al, Hillary, Bernie, etc.

I wonder if she was under the care of a cardiologist after her 1st heart attack? She had one in August when she delivered her son and doctors discovered she had an enlarged heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top