Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 02:53 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I thought it was part of some major plan NYC had to increase rail capacity - perhaps not then.

Not the Penn Station monstrosity of today. NYC has a plan, but this station is not the cure. Plan involves another tunnel, reroute LIRR to Grand Central, reroute Metro North to Penn, and add subway lines into northern NJ, but improvements for that would not be felt until at least 2030.

It is also why they are adding 4 Bronx New Haven line stations, as going to Penn means rerouting it from the Bronx on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 02:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It doesn't even come close.
I want you to note the difference between what I posted and you posted. Is it obvious or do you need a picture drawn for you?

Old 12-31-2017, 03:02 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not the Penn Station monstrosity of today. NYC has a plan, but this station is not the cure. Plan involves another tunnel, reroute LIRR to Grand Central, reroute Metro North to Penn, and add subway lines into northern NJ, but improvements for that would not be felt until at least 2030.

It is also why they are adding 4 Bronx New Haven line stations, as going to Penn means rerouting it from the Bronx on.
Sounds a decent enough plan, although sad to see the Gateway plan delayed until the US gets another President.

The Subway also needs refurbishing and new signals, however the City is investing in new rolling stock for the subway which looks impressive, as well as paperless travel technology similar to London's Oyster Card, and this will see some improvements within the shorter term.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Sounds a decent enough plan, although sad to see the Gateway plan delayed until the US gets another President.

The Subway also needs refurbishing and new signals, however the City is investing in new rolling stock for the subway which looks impressive, as well as paperless travel technology similar to London's Oyster Card, and this will see some improvements within the shorter term.
I am not sad Gateway is delayed, as it is IMO a waste of money, better spent on the more meaningful plan I detailed for you.

Subway service under DeBlasio has become worse than Under Bloomberg.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:14 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
I'll make this simple. Trump is taking a page out of the Chris Christie playbook. Get even with your enemies. I suspect Trump will meet the same fate as Christie in a few years with the same poll numbers before being run out of office.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:16 PM

9,507 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Trump is POTUS, not president of NY and NJ. Our federal tax dollars are better spent elsewhere. I keep hearing how great NYC is... prove it and pay for your own stuff.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:20 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
I am not sad Gateway is delayed, as it is IMO a waste of money, better spent on the more meaningful plan I detailed for you.

Subway service under DeBlasio has become worse than Under Bloomberg.
Don't the two schemes serve sepeate areas, the Gateway aimed at services to NJ and the scheme you mentioned aimed at improving the LIRR. ?

Old 12-31-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Don't the two schemes serve sepeate areas, the Gateway aimed at services to NJ and the scheme you mentioned aimed at improving the LIRR. ?
The one I mentioned improves the entire train system in the tri-state corridor.

Gateway does squat regarding service issues.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:36 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I'll make this simple. Trump is taking a page out of the Chris Christie playbook. Get even with your enemies. I suspect Trump will meet the same fate as Christie in a few years with the same poll numbers before being run out of office.
I'll make this even simpler for you, Trump wrote the playbook that Christie has read. I am real sure he will lose votes in NY/NJ, wooopeedo!

Thank you Jesus for President Donald J. Trump!

Old 12-31-2017, 03:53 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:

LIRR is not being wholly rerouted into GCT, but rather new tunnels and station would allow access. The East Side Access LIRR project is years behind scheduled and vastly over budget. It is also a classic example of why large infrastructure projects in New York (and by extension New Jersey and Conn) cost so much.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/12/29/168...-investigation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side_Access

Amtrak already has "returned" to GCT; https://media.amtrak.com/2017/07/sel...enewal-period/

Amtrak Trains Returning to New York's Grand Central Terminal This Summer - The Drive

https://www.politico.com/states/new-...central-112114

Back when the two rival railroads that hated each other (PRR and New York Central) owners of Penn Station and GCT respectively were still in control of those properties there was *NO* way either would allow passenger connections to the other. However once the two married under the Penn-Central merger the creation of "Empire Connection" allowed by then Amtrak trains to head into Penn.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Side_Line_(NYCRR)

The same Empire Connection in theory could be used to route Metro-North trains into Penn Station, but it remains to be seen if that will happen. Working theory is once LIRR East Side Access is completed room will open up due to a number of trains terminating at GCT instead. This ties in with the grand designs of the "new" Penn Station at Farley post office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies